For scalpers out there, do you still set your SL for each trade?

Helloooo! :blush: I’m just giving lower timeframes a try (5 mins), and it’s just so fast-paced for me, that I can’t really take my time setting up my TP and SL, unlike when I was trading the hourly and daily. :sweat_smile: Do you guys still set SLs or just close your trades manually? :open_mouth:

I’m not really sure if lower timeframes would work for me. :sweat_smile: But I still kinda wanna give it a try before shutting it down completely. :pray: Thank youuuuu!

Oh ria-rose, don’t give up :rofl:

The lower timeframes are lovely, even the 1min !
Just set your SL at say 20pts/pips then trail it manually. Stop worring about TP you might catch a runner! Just bail out if it crosses 8EMA.

1 Like

P.S The 8EMA (just under) should be your SL. This why it is good to look for entry after a pullback to 8EMA allowing for tighter SL (better R:R) though I don’t think of R:R 'cos I don’t have crystal ball telling me what the reward can be. :rofl:

I still use an SL on the 5 min. The timeframe is faster, but the risk should still be defined before entry. Manual exits can work if they are part of a tested plan, but I would not rely on reacting manually once the trade is moving fast.

1 Like

What strategy and what instruments are you using on the 5m charts?

I have a default amount of 50 pips, and I usually leave it unless I see reason to move it based on thr chart. But this is on DAX and NASDAQ. If I was trading the FTSE, it would be less.

I don’t use SL/TP for scalping but I’m scalping within 1m candle 100% discretionary. It looks more like whack-a-mole, than trading :wink:

1 Like

Absolutely :+1:
But 5mins fast ? Hope you don’t drive a car and take 5 mins to put the brakes on :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Always. Even when scalping, SL is a must for me fast trades need risk control even more. Better to take a small loss than let one trade turn into a big one.

1 Like

Love this approach, should give it a try…