Forex Challenge: Can you make a living from trading via prop firm FTMO?

Hi guys, unfortunately I have failed the FTMO challenge. I finished last week at -4.5%. And my deadline was coming up this week so either needed to get +ve for a retry or would fail. Please note, their dashboard does not refresh after every trade and it said I had a higher permitted loss than i actually did. When it caught up in the evening I found out I had failed. My final balance is $100,934. so im still positive but i hit my max drawdown on my open positions so I failed! Overall its not surprising that 92% of people fail and I’m sure it’s just as high for people who trade the funded account. 10% within a month is no easy task especially with a time limit and restrictions on it. On my personal account I normally go for 1% a week. In this case I was having to let it run if it could.

The things I found difficult were:

Feeling pressure to trade due to time limit
Taking trades that didnt meet my criteria because of the above
Making mistakes because I wasnt used to mt4 eg proper risk management
Running out of time because I didnt focus the first week on this account
Having restrictions which count in open equity
Having to allow positions to get more than a 1:1 risk reward
Too much screen time
Couldnt enjoy the good weather!
Frustration

The good thing is you can start with the lower capital of 10k which costs €155 and when you make a profit you can use that profit to open another account of a higher amount eg 50k or100k and try and complete the whole challenge again essentially for free. Takes a bit longer but works out much cheaper and in the end you’ll have large capital to trade.

I found having restrictions quite difficult as I dont normally have them. It meant I was looking at their dashboard after every trade and it doesnt refresh after every trade so you can’t be sure. I was not prepared for going for 10% in a month when my monthly target is much less. Having said this, it is possible to pass but you need to be aware of the finer details.

If you’re thinking of trying this challenge my advice would be:

1. Do the demo trial twice to get used to the restrictions and what it feels like.
  2. Start with the account you are used to trading with and if required start with the 10k account. If you think you can do it then try it wih a lower account as it costs less and you can always pay the higher ones with profits.
  3. If you cant afford to pay, go for the free version with traderseed. If you are profitable, then eventually you’ll pass and you can always fund yourself with the profits
  4. Make sure you have a profitable strategy and you can follow the rules
  5. Make sure your strategy can make 10% in a month
  6. Do NOT follow the dashboard. You need to keep an eye on your own trades and balance.

Well there you go. It’s pretty safe to say ftmo are legit and do pay out if you pass because there are people who have done it. However to pass and trade with these limits is a different story. To pass you may have to risk a higher % per trade than normal. Or the markets need to give you the moves at the time of the challenge. With all strategies there are weeks or months where you can be negative or make less than normal and it could just be a normal variant so you may have passed in january but june might have been a choppy month anyway.

If anyone is thinking of trying it, please get in touch if you’re not sure of anything.

It’s worth giving it a go but dont just waste money just because you think can pass. Make sure you prove it yourself under those objectives. I’ve been trading my personal account again and I closed at 1% today lol so I’m done for the week. Maybe I’ll give ftmo another go with the profits. But I need to evaluate the risk management on mt4 first. Best of luck to anyone doing the challenge/verification at present! :+1:

7 Likes

Wow congratulations buddy! Keep us updated when you get the funded account. I believe that’s when the real work begins. Best of luck.

Good to hear mate! :+1: itll be interesting to see how you do on the funded account. I’ve been in touch with a few people who found it difficult. I can see why because the numbers are against you. Keep us updated weekly on the funded account.

1 Like

@Trueman23 @bjuadams Congratulations! Someone made it through this competition finally! I suppose there is some “light” in this trading careers. Waiting for updates. Hope for the best. Good job for Trueman23, he really got 1 funded account. Hope for @blujadams also, looks really really close to pass the challenge aswell. I will join next week on a 10.000$ or 25.000$ account and I will pass this time. First time failed due to over-risk.

1 Like

Hey ther i will post how this going when i got some progres.@insane19 i think you need work or at least got a plan on day how many positions and how much risk they are for example 50$ per one trade risk.

It totally depends, if trader has
good knowledge about trading and
know all the strategies, it will surely provide trader with profits. But as trading results are uncertain because of market conditions trader may also face loss. And if trader has zero kowledge about trading for them trading cannot be a source of living as he might end up loosing his funds.

Monday i will reach the minimum trade days and ftmo will get in touch with me …so i hope to start with the account next week …keep ya posted here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t use any stop loss will they disqualify me? Lol

No you’re ok. There have been a few things I’ve heard of for eg they have asked people who use very tight stop losses or scalp quickly to repeat their challenge using a different strategy. This is because they copy your trades onto a real account and if it doesnt hit the same profits they dont let you do it. That’s also why they’ve added commissions onto their lmax broker. Someone also had to give up some of their profits to make up for any discrepancy between his profits and their copied profits.

Lol what???
What about this BS

No limits on trading style!
Trade your own trading strategy with no limits or restrictions. You can use EAs, hedging or trade discretionary.

Thanks for sharing that because you literally relieved days worth of stress… Lol

1 Like

my funded prop journey starts on monday…nice and slow is the plan …
great sunday to all!

6 Likes

They Will if you volitale dayli max loss or max loss and this thing with mmacrodata 2min before after.

1 Like

Be interested to see how it goes

i can help you win the challenge for free

just google my profile to get in touch with me
i can not post my email

NOTA www.zrrsys.com is not mine any more and does not have any business relation with me

Hey i don’t check over here but i make this veryfication and now im trade for FTMO.Here you can check how this is going.Cant send link in post so i send this picture.

1 Like

You can message me. Also feel free to do the trial. Let us know when you start and update weekly please. Thanks

Congrats! You can update on the weekend if that’s helpful. I think your thoughts will be better for beginners not just the results. thanks.

I already did the trial I can post it if you want
https://ftmo.com/en/metrix/11186958/?sharer=82a666168

2 Likes

Did you not want to go for a funded account?