Forex trading is not a hobby

Trading is a full time job. Nobody loses money for fun. Take it as serious as any source of income there is, even more serious if you wish to avoid sleepless nights.

1 Like

Well, it may be for some people, but for me it is definitely part time, and it is definitely a hobby. I thoroughly enjoy the time I spend thinking, planning, doing Forex and I certainly don’t have any sleepless nights over it. :rofl:

3 Likes

Fun is number one reason for losing/wasting money :wink:

In my heyday I could easily spend a week’s income at a nightclub on Orchard Road in Singapore :money_mouth_face:

In the oil business there is a saying that I have seen on the bumper bar of a pick up in Houston Texas. It reads “please God, let there be another oil boom and I promise not to p_ss it all away”

2 Likes

I certainly do enjoy planning and thinking too, because I know they always pay; and I sleep like a baby even if I leave a position over night. But I have never in my life enjoyed losing money, only making it.

If I lose money, my motive is not losing money but benefiting from the loss.

What is the reason you’ve created this post?
What I see is just series of assumptions, which are at least “not always true for everyone”.

You CAN trade part time (even “fraction-time”)
You CAN lose money for fun.
You CAN trade “just enough” seriously to sleep at night :slight_smile:

I have real allergy to “know it all” posts, which may actually hurt beginner traders.

2 Likes

It’s takes time, but I didn’t get into forex just for it to turn into another job.

I’m trying to reduce my screen time as much as possible!

I’d rather go outside and play!

The reason for the post is clear, Trading should be taken serious, I find no fun in working and that is what I do everyday to improve in trading.

In the early years of your trading you have to work or else you won’t progress. Becoming a professional trader is not easy.

Trading is an essential if you are trying to make some bucks, but some people tend to take it serious and expect to make profit overnight. And once they realized that they cannot, they will give up trading right away in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I agree with you. Most people start trading thinking that it requires less time and effort than it actually does and end up getting disappointed and discouraged by consistent losses not realizing the essential qualities of a trader are earned through experience.

This is your opinion, but you write it like it is a fact.
I see you strongly believe in what you say, but it does not make it a definitive truth.
I find it toxic to tell other traders how they should feel or treat trading.

If you want to help - share your opinions, experience, advise, but please don’t sell the “absolute truths” because you will not take any fall for beginner who will follow you blindly. That’s my opinion what value added can be given by experienced traders.

1 Like

It’s a profession if not a job. Not everyone can commit full time hours to it but it is more about how you approach it. **

1 Like

Thank you for the constructive criticism.

1 Like

Forex is a serious business. It offers unlimited income and unlimited loss. I do not think that one should take it as a hobby. It is to be dealt with ultimate caution and patience. If someone wants to play with this market, the market is going to play with him harder and beat him badly.

1 Like

Ah, this is where we are different. I thoroughly enjoy my “work” as one of four streams of income. My work has been a life choice for the past 30 years and I chose IT project management. One of the reasons I have been very active on forums is because I have chosen not to “work” for the past six months or so - first because I had two scheduled operations, and needed recovery, but lately because I prefer to find a role that interests me, and not one I need to do to earn money.

BTW, do you not enjoy giving a contribution to a charity? That is losing money, and feeling great about it. That may come from “The Richest Man in Babylon” - I can’t remember, but it comes from every religious following I know of.

1 Like

I do enjoy contributing to a charity, but my satisfaction comes from knowing I have brought joy to someone, not from acknowledging I lost money; in a charity case I don’t see it as losing money but giving it away. My point is that there is no fun in losing money unintentionally.

oh my… let me know if you need any more surgeries, because i have a ton of basic hand tools and i also have a razor knife and duct tape.

my rates are very reasonable… i am able to shave costs because we just skip the anaesthesia and we just knock you out with a pipe wrench.

I am an unlicensed internet surgeon… /s

There is a difference between a hobby and trading: discipline. Forex is a serious errand, and you can easily lose money. I like to think of it as my job because I want returns.

1 Like