Free Margin with multiple trades opened

I entered a trade in the USDJPY and I want to open another trade in USDCAD but I have little free margin left. My question is, if I open up another trade will my first trade close out due to the little free margin I have left?

No.

You won’t be able to open an additional (third) trade if you don’t have enough margin for it.

Your position-sizing must be hugely inappropriate to your account-size, for this to be an issue for you.

You should never have more than a total of 1% of your account-funds at risk, at any time.

3 Likes

Little margin left, this is main reason why most people lose money in Forex. [quote=“LaughingCharlie, post:2, topic:147525”]
You should never have more than a total of 1% of your account-funds at risk, at any time.
[/quote]
I absolutely agree! 1% would be an understatement.

1 Like

No - either you’ve got enough margin to open another position, or you haven’t. If you have, nothing will “close out”, and if you haven’t, it won’t open.

What’s your total risk-exposure, as a percentage of your total account value? (In other words, if both your current trades suddenly go bad and both hit their stop-losses, what proportion of your total account will that lose?). If that figure’s more than 1% (or 2% if you’re feeling very bold), then your problem is one of lack of understanding of position-sizing.

Are you trading on demo, or with actual money?

USD/JPY and USD/CAD are correlated positions, because they’re both dependent on the value of the USD, so what you’re doing is extra risky (unless you’re long on one and short on the other, but I don’t think you meant that?).

If you don’t want to close your current trade and want to open another one but you don’t have enough margin you can hedge the running trade by opening the opposite direction of the same pair (USDJPY in your case). This will free you margin from that pair, which you can use to open a trade on another pair. Basically if you 100% hedge your current trade no margin will be required for that pair (for example 0,25 Sell USDJPY and 0,25 Buy USDJPY = 0 Margin required). Hedging will lock for you the current PnL from the running trade because from the moment of entering into hedge any further movement of the price of that pair will generate profit on the one trade and the same amount of loss on the other. However, you will have to pay what your brokers request for opening of trade – commission or marked up spread.

I risk 3% on each of all trades while using my actual money

To be fair using 3% isn’t out of the question, as a retail trader, who is expierenced enough to understand the consequences.

I can also see why you’d run out of avalible margin too. The below calc shows this on a 30-1 leveraged account (which will be the maximum leverage allowed in Europe anyway on any leveraged account).

Assuming you use a 25pip stop with a 2pip target spread, you’d have over 50% of your margin tied up. So yes, it doesn’t take much to maximise you avalible margin when using 3% per ‘bet’.

**example assuming we trade a XXX/USD pair

2 Likes