Frustration with Forex

I am quickly becoming frustrated with Forex and trading in general. While I am very new to Forex and trading, I have consumed lots of knowledge over the past 2 months so far. And several of my questions have yet to be answered by anyone on any website, even this one. I feel as if I will never overcome this hurdle.

I have taken the Baby Pips classes along with many hours of study over candlestick patterns, trend lines, support and resistance, and the indicators.

And yet after all of this, I am still not able to apply this to my demo account. I lack a certain understanding that I am not getting, so I really need answers.

Which time frames are best for me? I currently have maybe an 1 to 2 hours in the morning to trade, and sometimes on days off. My trading time is very limited due to work.The quiz says I am a swing trader, but I have no idea what that means and when to trade.

Generally I understand that that the best trade times for me are 7am to noonish (USA-central time), but there are also Asian trading sessions for me around 10 pm (central).

I have no idea which pairs to trade. Sure the many videos and people have suggested staying with the main currently pairs. But then I go look at them and nothing is happening but consolidation. So how am I supposed to find good trading opportunities?

5 Likes

I have been trading stocks, indices, commodities and forex since 2003. Before that I traded shares and options.

Day-trading is far too difficult for a new trader. It is all that most new traders think is trading and most new traders fail within the first year.

Start with long-term trades which follow established trends. Keep your positions small and your risk very small. If you get good at this, and are making enough money to pay your bills, try day-trading. One day I will too.

10 Likes

market moves at random most of the time , that’s why our strategies now works for all time and for that reason it is more appropriate to develop our trading approach including real money management.

1 Like

Create a “watch list” profile and add your preferred pairs, since you are a swing trader you can add up to 10. Try to stick with the majors

As a swing trader you should look at the Daily time frame (D1) and the weekly time frame (W1) and base your analysis on those.

Trade with the dominant trend, take note of resistances, supports and others.

Note: Swing trades take time to develop and have very few trades usually. The benefit for you is you don’t have to watch charts intraday.

5 Likes

Market never moves smoothly it is changing sometimes slow , sudden high moves or volatile market , these all things really frustrate traders . WIth some patience and practice trader can overcome these common difficulties and is able to find his favorite time to trade . He can also adjust in bad market with his risk management skills.

2 Likes

Have you considered a longer term approach?

" But then I go look at them and nothing is happening but consolidation. So how am I supposed to find good trading opportunities? "

If you have a long term bias then consolidation will not bother you, just hold until your bias changes.

" Which time frames are best for me? I currently have maybe a 1 to 2 hours in the morning to trade "

Again with a longer-term view you don’t have to check the markets every 10 minutes

I generally trade a minimum of 3 months. This works for me. Definitely not saying that there are no opportunities elsewhere, but it’s just not how I do things.

Also a word on indicators… most tell you what the market has done, not what it’s doing. Sure this is useful data. Personally, I would never rely on just on lagging indicators. I need a longer-term view of what I think is going to happen, Not what’s been happening.

My advice? I think you know the answer… Get a long-term process

Any questions? ask away

Jack

7 Likes

You are better off trading on time frames daily or weekly. Then you will be able to combine trading with the main job. In addition, it will be psychologically easier.

5 Likes

As we are human we can’t completely eliminate our emotions while we are thinking of trading in challenging and dynamic field of forex. But yes, when you are thinking of trading in this world market place, you need to think rationally. Thereby, try to expand your knowledge level so that you never face emotional dilemma.

1 Like

Have you learned how to trade off the fundamentals? Not Technical analysis, Or News.

When you learn what moves economies, and follow The BIG MONEY your trading world will change.

What Changed the way I trade was learning how to read the COT reports. Banks And Institutions are required by law to report their positions. When you learn how to read where they place there money you can pluck from the money tree all day long.

Happy Trading!

9 Likes

Can you help me with more details and explaination how you determine where the banks and financial institutions put the money…where can I find the cot…
Thx

1 Like

I’m really glad you posted this I feel the same way.

Yo pippn_aint_easy, how did you start off trading fundamentals? Irs what they call naked trading, right? Though i work supporting Eikon, i just cant figure out where to start with fx funda.

Hi Trolloc63.

I went through and am still going through the same thing but it is slowly starting to get better. I have been swing trading for 4 months on demo account only.

I tend to notice a lot of generalised fluff in trading material where people make statements like:

“Trade with the trend”
“Watch the major currency pairs”
“Keep a journal”
“Pay attention to news”
“Use confluence of indicators”
“Build up screentime” etc.

None of these statements mean anything unless you can ground it in some specific real-world practice which you can view.

I am by no means a pro but some practical tips that may help you which have helped me have been included below.

1. Open a demo account with say only $1000. Use only a contract size of 100 for all pairs.

2. Line up 40+ different currency pairs on your watch list on the side including all exotics/majors/commodities etc. (Reason I say this is because you will not know which FX pair will works best for you until you test them all with some specific rules).

3. Open up a spreadsheet titled “Strategy test - iteration 1”.

4. Create a simple set of specific rules and write them at the top of the spreadsheet (Important note here is to pick ANY rules as long as they are specific). For example, I started with:

Parameters

Step 1: Start with first currency pair on my list and use ONLY 4 hour time frame and MACD and nothing else.
Step 2: If MACD crossover is visible on the currency pair, enter in that direction.
Step 3: Use Stop Loss of 50 and Take profit of 100 pips for all pairs.
Step 4: Log the trade in the spreadsheet including date of entry, FX pair, timeframe used (in this case only 4 hour), entry price, SL, TP and result)
Step 5: Go to next currency pair on your list and repeat for 2 hours (before you start work) until you get through all currency pairs.
Step 6: Log all results and closed trades on the weekend.
Step 7: Log 100 trades and make a final assessment of the strategy.

You can start with the above exact template if you wish.

Having said that. I am not saying the above strategy is good (and you will quickly notice this). But once you start scan through the pairs every day, execute based on your rules, and recording your results you will notice one of a few things:

(a) My net profit/loss was $x.
(b) y% of my trades were losses and z% were winners.
© Biggest loss was currency pair abc.
(d) Best performing pair was “def”.
(e) Average winning trade was $w
(f) Average Losing trade was $l

For example, you may notice after completing 100 trades the following results.
(a) After 100 trades I ended up with a net loss of $100.
(b) I was wrong on 70% of the trades and right on 30% of them.

From here you can make a tweak to your strategy such as:
(a) Trade only pairs are clearly trending and not consolidating.
(b) Reduce SL to 30 and TP to 60.
© Add two EMAs and only when the MACD and EMAs are crossing I will enter.
(d) Use Daily Timeframe instead.
(e) Title this new tweak “iteration 2” and re-test on a new tab on your spreadsheet.
As a result of repeating this process over and over several times (I have had to go through approximately 50 iterations to date) you will naturally start to develop a sense of what works and what doesn’t including where to put your SL and TP, which pairs work best for you out of the 40 you have tested and which timeframes and what indicators (if any) should be used.
The idea is to mass test A LOT and record results and then look back over the results and make tweaks.

It’s no easy process but this has been something that helps me to navigate the excessive information out there and assist in the construction of my own style.

Hope this helps.

KL.

14 Likes

I believe frustration is part of the natural process for developing traders. I have been studying trading for 12 years now, trading for 7 and the frustration still comes around often - the famous boom and burst cycle prior to the consistently profitable stage. Unfortunately and apart from a few natural born trading geniuses, it seems there is no way around it. The best way to understand it is to think of doctors or lawyers: these professions are learnt through many years of study, practice, tests and so on so why would trading be any different?

Concerning how to trade forex there are as many answers as there are traders (macro / technical, Time frames from 1mn charts to dailly charts, trading a single pairs or more, all day long or a few hours per days or even weeks, trend follower or contrarian…) and it is likely that learning and experimenting will show you clearly what you are passionate about and where you can be good at.

Once you know what direction to take, you will still need to figure out a trading strategy/philosophy that has an edge and sort out your psychology (not saying you are dysfunctional as a person but rather that humans do not make very good traders and there is as much if not more work on psychology than trading itself in my opinion).

I can recommend to find a trading mentor that trades in a way that matches what you want to do. There are lots of scammers and fewer successful traders out there so this research is an area not to neglect. Then being part of a group of traders (even if only an online group of part time traders, it is very important to have peers in this lonely activity otherwise we can lose mental sanity quickly).

Having a look at Brett Steenbarger and Van Tharp Institute is really a must to figure out psychology and trading style… Probably a lot of reading too. There is a good 10,000 hours of work ahead of you so it is not a small job you are undertaking here. In terms of position size, I would recommend trading very small (20 usd max risk per trade maybe) until you get consistent. On the other hand, don’t be stingy on your education, the various tools, books, trading seminars and workshops could ad up to a good 10,000 usd easily but better to pay these and progress than lose it in the market and get psychologically wounded.

Good luck to you and enjoy the journey and the frustration - it is here to stay a long while so you might as well befriend it.

5 Likes

KL, thank you for speaking in layman’s terms, that newbie’s like me can understand. It’s easier to take the pain, if you know that you’re sculpting your own trading plan, which has the potential to eventually to reap rewards.

How do I get cot reports?

After trading forex 10 years, then see if you are still frustrated! Did you think this is easy?

Commitment Of Traders Report can be found online just search for it this report is released to the cftc on Tuesday of every week, However it is released to the public every Friday around 2:00 p.m. EST. Once you’ve learned how to read these reports you can take the next step, confirm which way a currency pair will go.

Take a look at the currency’s bond prices and yields. Bond prices play a huge roll in how an economy is performing. If the Yields are down more then likely the currency will go down if the yields are in an uptrend, the currency will most likely follow.

1 Like

I like your answer the best. In all things in life, you can’t just shoot to the top. Nobody builds a house without a solid foundation and forex isn’t any different. Athletes had to learn the fundamentals before they became great at their sport. Fundamentals are your friends and they’re there for a reason.

3 Likes

Why not start by trading just one pair.

1 Like