Garu's journal

Here is my trade 36, a sell on EURUSD.

there seems to be a resistance slightly below the red line (my stop loss). Stochastics are saying oversold, and MACD is showing downtrend. I don’t normally trade on the 1H time frame, so this is somewhat a trial on this time frame.

EDIT:

I manually closed this thread after seeing a sudden spike in prices towards my take profit. I got 65 pips, giving me 0.32% of funds.
(Oh, it was closed on the blue triangle pointing upwards. Those are Oanda’s legends for activities).

Here is my trade 37, a sell on GBPNZD.

There seems to be a support on the dashed purple line, so I’ll be a bit careful when prices reached that area. If it shows prices are stopping, I’ll try to close the trade.

Although the daily trend is downwards, so I’m a bit hoping it will follow that general trend. 1% risk.

EDIT:

This trade is taking its own sweet time.

Since it’s up by 60 pips, I have moved the stop loss to entry, making this a risk-less trade.

EDIT:

This trade was previously up by 150 pips, so I put the stop loss behind the nearest resistance (or was that a support?). It was hit. So this trade hit a stop loss, but it managed to give me 0.18% of funds.

Hello Garuhhh. I looked at some of your last trades and I’m curious as to how many of the 37 trades you have posted have resulted in wins and if so, how much have you grown your account?

Because from what I can see; it looks like you’re not really using a consistent Stop and Take Profit. Just eyeballing the last two trades; one appears to be equal distance from entry to stop and entry to take profit. The other appears to be maybe twice that? In most cases that creates a very choppy environment to actually earn in.

Thanks for your concern stonecoldmichael.

Looking at this myfxbook journal, it shows i’m currently down to -11.19% (as of this writing). I was just risking 1% on my trades that’s why I’m still alive with so much loosing trades.

I’ve had a lot of mistakes in entering trades this month. I can name a few:
[ul]
[li]made incorrect number of units for one winning trade, resulting in a very low earning
[/li][li]made a mistake in number of units to one trade, which lost, giving me twice the risk I normally do
[/li][li]I didn’t put enough stop losses in some trades, most of them, after hitting my stop loss, would continue to move towards my original take profit
[/li][/ul]

I have put in my rules to not enter trades with a reward to risk ratio of not greater than 1:1. I try to eye for atleast 1.5:1, but if it’s 1.3:1 or 1.2:1, I can consider entering the trade. I think I wasn’t able to follow that rule in my recent trades (e.g. USDCAD, EURUSD).

I’m still somehow experimenting on the best method to put in risks in stop losses. So far, I have decided the following:
[ul]
[li]if the stop loss is too near the most recent resistance/support, risk should be lower than 1%
[/li][li]if stop loss is less than 100pips, risk should be lower than 1%
[/li][li]as of now, no trades should have a risk higher than 1%, 1% is the maximum.
[/li][/ul]
Those are so far the ones I have thought of.

Can you give me better suggestions I can try? thanks!

I forgot to put this in the journal as I was doing something else yesterday.

This is my trade 38, a sell on USDCAD.

stop loss (red line) is 93 pips,
take profit (green line) is 108 pips,
reward to risk ratio is 1.16:1

Looking at the above chart (weekly chart), prices seemed to bounce off at the yellow downward trend line. I verified that at the 4H time frame, and there was a bit of consolidation when I made the trade. But currently I’m -77pips on this trade.

Here is the daily time frame chart:

EDIT:

oops! I made a mistake. This trade has already been recorded as trade 35.

Anyway, this trade met a stop loss, giving me -0.96% of funds.

Here is another trade I missed to put in my journal when I made it.

Trade 39, a buy on EURGBP.

The general trend is upward, so I did a buy on this pair when there was a bit of retracement. Looking at the trade now, I should have waited for more time for the prices to lower down more :smiley:

take profit is green line (198 pips)
stop loss is pink line (88 pips), it’s supposed to be still red, but got hidden by this pink trend line I put.
reward to risk ratio is 2.25:1

Here is the 4H time frame:

and here is the daily time frame:

EDIT:

this trade was up to 80 pips last night, so i moved the stop loss to entry.

Ah okay. That explains the varying position points then.

I use a fire and forget methodology trading on the Daily charts with a Price Action Strategy. I prefer risking about 5% of my balance per trade; but I’m comfortable with that kind of risk. The major difference is that I don’t take a trade unless I think I can take 2:1 return. I just stay out. To me, some signals just don’t seem to have enough power behind them to solidify their directional movement. While they seem like they can put some profit in your account; it would take much less to swing them the opposite way than if it was in a trending pair.

I look for my optimal set up; candlestick formation on a point of S/R, not trading into any other major points of S/R, with a trend; set a Take Profit at 2:1 ratio and then just let it go. I found when I was learning there were plenty of times when I could have taken 2:1 but I did not place a TP because I wanted to get more out of the movement. More often than not; I’ve found this cost me more in the long-term.

My personal opinion is that you’re over-complicating things for yourself. You may want to head back and look at what traders that use your particular strategy are doing for their own risk and reward and see if you can’t smooth out some of these overly complicated factors.

Always check and double check; and always use a Stop Loss. And if you’re wondering how this works out for me: 7 of my last 10 have hit TP. I don’t take more than a dozen trades in the span of a month while trading off of the daily charts. I only look for the optimal set up that screams “I WILL MAKE YOU MONEY”. But even then they don’t always.

Thank you really for taking time to post here. I appreciate your suggestions. I have seen your other posts, and most of them are meant to answer questions of other people here in the forums. Thank you very much for guiding us newbies! :slight_smile:

I have one more clarification, when you said,

not trading into any other major points of S/R, with a trend

does that mean you don’t do trades similar to this trade I made? Or like this trade? Can you clarify more on this?

And do you have a history of your trades that you would like to share? like a “myfxbook” account? I definitely would like to learn from your trades as well! Here is mine in myfxbook.

Thank you again!

I unfortunately do not have an online trade journal. I’m not sure how useful it would be to others given that I use a very simple price action strategy. No other indicators past S/R levels and candlestick formations really. I think I’ll poke around and explore the application a little bit though if only to better help demonstrate points. And you’re welcome for the input and assistance! We were all newbies once. :slight_smile:

As to the trades you posted. If I’m looking at Trade #38. This is not a trade I would have taken, and definitely not in that direction. As you have noted; the price broke the upper portion and popped through. Now looking at the daily chart; I see you placed a sell order. Judging by your indicators at the bottom; you’re expecting a reversal based on an overbought condition. But what confirmation do we have that the price is actually ready to reverse?

On the weekly chart; solid green bars for the last four weeks. On the daily chart, we see a distinct uptrend pattern starting at about the February 14th mark. Solid green bars, slight pull back. More solid green bars, slight pullback. Now on the point where you actually have your trade executed; we have a Bullish Engulfing Bar that is in favor of the trend. (Your trade might be right before that, it’s kind of hard to tell on the chart.)

And this is exactly why I don’t trade against trends. Unless you’re using a bunch of other indicators or have a lot of experience doing it; it’s really difficult to tell how much a given pullback is going to put in your pocket. It could just be forming a continuation signal; which is what you see on every pull back from the Feb 14th mark. How do we know they’re continuation signals? Primarily because of how small and shallow the red bars are. None of them pull back past the 50% mark of their relevant upward movement. That tells you there is not a whole lot of strength behind the pullback.

In regards to the “trading into S/R levels”; I’m mostly talking about a range bound condition. If I execute a buy trade at the bottom of a range bound channel, I will be out before it reaches the top quarter of the upper part of the range (always have to think of S/R as a zone). Since I’m a trend trader, this isn’t a huge issue for me a majority of the time. I typically want to see price close outside the range to signal that it’s broken.

I can provide insight on quite a few things but ultimately the approach that is right is going to be up to you. There are plenty of traders that do well on trading pull backs. I, on the other hand, trade on the daily chart and only with the trend. I place maybe 10-15 trades in the span of a month. There is a reason that “Trend is your friend” is a popular motto in trading. :slight_smile:

Let me know if anything was unclear or you have any other questions!

Hey Garuhhh. Just thought I would share with you a trade that just closed successfully in my favor and the thought processes that drove it.

As I mentioned, I trade a very simple Price Action strategy. It’s a very popular and effective method because it focuses less on what indicators are telling you the market has done and more on what the participants are doing.

So this first chart is just a weekly AUDUSD chart. As we can see, for the past couple of months we have been in a fairly consistent downtrend. That means I’m only interested in taking Sell orders on this pair.

This second chart is the AUDUSD daily chart.

Alright, the first point we want to look at is the ovals drawn on the chart. I’ve identified a zone of Support turned Resistance at about the 1.0375 mark. As we can see from the two white ovals; the price touched and pushed off and struggled to once again get through that area. However, towards the end of the second white oval, we can see that price broke through the level and descended. It pulled back to the same level and stalled- indicating that this zone is likely to act as a level of Resistance.

I entered a trade on the candlestick indicated by the white arrow. As we can see, there was a nice pullback to resistance and then a good but not great engulfing bar formed with the combination of the bar indicated by the arrow and the one before it. (Combining two bars to interpret it as a single Engulfing bar is valid because of how weak the previous bar was and it’s failure to pierce the Resistance zone.)

Now we get into personal preference territory. When I place a trade I always aim to make 2:1; period. If I don’t think I can make at least 2:1 on a trade I don’t take it. So when I entered there was about a 75 pip Stop Loss placed behind the area of Resistance (indicated by the aqua line). My Take Profit is twice that (indicated by the yellow line).

I go the 2:1 route for a few reasons. I did used to try to micromanage trades to take every pip out of the market possible. I came to realize that was kind of dumb because all the time I spent doing that I could spend doing more gainful activities elsewhere. I had seen 2:1 thrown around a lot and finally settled on it due to some advice I got from a neighbor as a child that stuck with me. “Find a way to turn 1 dollar into 2 dollars and you’ll have all the money you ever need.”

In my own learning curve I discovered that yes there were plenty of trades I could get more than 2:1 off of- but there were a lot of other trades where I would have a secured a 2:1 return with a Take Profit before the currency pulled back. This way my exposure in the market is much more limited. I’m not interested in huge returns; just consistent ones.

As we can see from the chart, it took a couple of weeks for price to reach my TP. If I was still trading like when I first started, I probably would have hovered over the chart and cancelled the trade to “minimize my losses” because it didn’t go my way very soon. While that works for some strategies; it doesn’t work for this style of trading.

That candlestick formation and zone of Resistance are valid until price closes above them. Now since my Stop is placed there; I know I’m going to be taken out when the signal and resistance stop being valid. Therefore there is no reason for me to meddle with or even look at this trade again until it either stops out or hits take profit. I just have to be patient and let the market do what it’s going to do.

Trading isn’t something I do full-time or even want to do full-time. I spend about 30 minutes looking over about 30ish currency pairs for set ups like this one every week day after the NY close, place my trade, and get on with the other stuff I have to do. It’s simple to do because I know what I’m looking for. I first look for the appropriate candlestick formation; if it’s not there I move to the next. If it is there, I check the weekly chart for general direction. If it’s in favor of the trend/direction of the trade I want to place; I then look for S/R levels that will either help or hinder my trade.

If all those things check out; I place my trade. If any of them do not; on to the next pair.

I tried several different strategies before I found Price Action. The pure simplicity of Price Action is what really appealed to me. All you’re really doing is looking for the signals that a majority of the other pair’s participants are going to see and respond to.

It works with varying degrees on about any time frame. I’ve scalped a few times with Price Actions with decent results. It’s not something I do very often though.

Thank you very much for that detailed trade entry stonecoldmichael! :slight_smile:

You’re helping a lot by posting this :18: (especially me!)

I have made 2 more trades, and haven’t updated this journal. I might be able to post them tomorrow as I got too busy at work.

Here is my first trade for the month.

Trade 1, a buy on EURCAD. I made this a couple of days before, but I’m only able to put this trade now.

Stop loss is red line, and take profit is green line. Entry is the triangle.

EDIT:

This trade is now up by 70 pips, so I moved the stop loss to entry making this trade risk-free :smiley:

EDIT:

There was a sudden downward spike, and the stop loss got triggered. Good thing I already moved the stop loss to entry since the time I got 70 pips. So this trade gave me 0% of funds. Still a good thing, no loss.

You’re welcome Garu!

I like the basics of the trade. Respects the support and resistance lines in the channel. This pair also looks like it would be good for a potential break out trade when the price finally closes outside of the range.

I made this trade a couple of days ago, and I haven’t put it in the journal, unfortunately, this evening it met a stop loss. Here is my trade 2, a sell on EURJPY, my second trade for March

Anyway, here is the rationale of the trade. There was previously a support somewhere the red line in the middle of the chart, and later it seemed it turned into a possible resistance. I went for the trade, putting my stop loss (red line) behind the seeming resistance.

I was seeing a downtrend on the charts, so I went sell for EURJPY.

Unfortunately, after around 4 days, it met a stop loss, giving me a fund of -0.95%.

My funds are now down a total of -12.72%.

Here is my trade 3, a buy on NZDCAD.

The general trend of this pair is upward, but starting feb 25, it seemed to start its “slight downward trend”. Still I’m hoping for prices to move upwards.

take profit is green line, and stop loss is red line, and reward to risk ratio is 1.5:1. Risk is just 0.5% since my stop loss is just 67pips.

EDIT:

This trade met its stop loss, giving me -0.5% of funds. I should have not traded this pair in the first place since there was a seeming general downtrend, and yet I still bought. bad decision!

Here is my trade 4 for March, a sell on EURCHF.

take profit is green line (93 pips), and stop loss is red line (34 pips). reward to risk ratio is 2.7:1.

There seems to be a resistance slightly below the red line, and stochastics are overbought, and MACD is showing a downtrend (on the 1day time frame).

EDIT:

this trade hit its take profit, giving me 1.23% of funds. it was hit on the green circle on the right of the chart, but still prices continued downwards after that.

I decided to close this trade at 82 pips, since I was thinking there was a resistance that prices could not go past beyond. Or it might take time to go past beyond that resistance.

This trade gave me 0.76% of funds.

(I could not edit anymore the original post, so I needed to update it here.)

Here is my trade 5 for the month: a sell on NZDUSD.

The general trend, as indicated by the blue line, is downward. There has been a bit of a consolidation, but prices seemed to move downwards.

Stop loss is red line (117 pips), and Take profit is green line (172 pips). Reward to risk ratio is 1.47:1, close enough to 1.5:1. Risk on this trade is 1% since the stop loss is far enough from the entry, and stop loss is more than 100 pips.

EDIT:

here is the daily time frame chart:

if prices seemed to be stopping at the dashed blue line, I might need to interfere and close the trade.

EDIT:

This trade reached 60 pips, so I moved the stop loss to entry. This trade is now risk-free.
Although prices seemed to really have stopped on the dashed blue line, as it was identified as a possible support. I’ll be monitoring it still, and if prices seemed to bounce back from that support, I might need to close the trade manually.

EDIT:

this trade met a stop loss, but I lost nothing since the stop loss is still already at entry.

But I decided to enter again with still the hope that prices will be moving downwards. I should have not moved the stop loss to entry if I forsee this was gonna happen.

This trade is now moved as trade 7 NZDUSD.

EDIT:
Trade 7 met a stop loss, giving me -0.5% of funds.

Here is my trade 6, a buy on CADCHF.

There seems to be an uptrend on this pair, as specified by the solid blue line.

Stop loss is red line ( 70 pips), take profit is green line (212 pips), reward to risk ratio is 3:1! I would love to see this meet its take profit! :smiley:
Although there seems to be a minor resistance on the dashed blue line, if prices seemed to stop there, I might need to close the trade.

Here is the daily time frame chart:

EDIT:

This trade met a stop loss, and it gave me -0.5%.

I will take good note of the points Nisar gave next time.