Garu's journal

i think u used the blue solid line to enter but it would have been perfect if u had entered at the intersection of blue and red support line as the price broke above and retested. u could have easily achieved 1:2 target or may have waited for the prices to retest the blue sloping line. thats my opinion only. however good luck with lot of pips.

Thanks for the note nisar. honestly, I didn’t notice the items you’ve pointed out in here. I was so fixated on the upward trend (blue line). I’m just hoping prices will move upwards.

Here is my trade 8, a buy on GBPJPY.

stop loss is red line (116 pips) and take profit is green line ( 245 pips), reward to risk ratio is 2:1. I will be putting in a 0.75% risk on this trade, as I’m not too comfortable giving it a 1% risk because of the trade rationale. Now I’m saying that, I should have just given this a 0.5% risk!

There seems to be a support slightly above the red line, and there seems to be an upward trend, as indicated by the blue line drawn in the daily time frame.

Here is the daily time frame chart:

EDIT:
This trade met a stop loss though I have already moved the stop loss to entry, so no losses. But after hitting my stop loss, it’s up again by around 100 pips.
I was thinking, I should have closed this trade when it was 200 pips. I was thinking it was the highest that it can reach. But I was so confident that it will meet its take profit!

Here is my trade 9 I have made this morning. I’m sorry if I haven’t been able to update my journal as soon as I make the trade, as I have been busy a lot with work.

This trade is a buy on EURNZD.

There is consolidation since around Feb 25, and the support slightly above the red line has been respected at least twice. I’m hoping prices will move upwards, so I am putting a buy trade on the blue triangle on the right.

red line is stop loss (89 pips) take profit is green line (165 pips), with a reward to risk ratio of 1.85:1.

EDIT:

This trade met a stop loss giving me -0.75% of funds. I was already 70 pips last night, and I forgot to move me stop loss to entry. Now prices suddenly moved so low that it hit my stop loss. I would never have thought that it will move down that far.

I’m sorry, Iam only able to post this trade now.

I opened it at the blue triangle, and manually closed it at the orange triangle. Take profit is the green line, and stop loss is the red line.
I opened the trade because there seems to be a general upward trend.

This trade gave me 0.5% of funds.

I entered this trade because of the general upward trend.

I entered on the upward blue triangle, and it met its stop loss at the maroon circle.

Here is the daily time frame:

and here is the 4H time frame:

This trade gave me -0.5% of funds.

What was your decision making process in taking this trade? There’s no pullback in the trend at all and both your indicators on the bottom of the screen seem like they are indicating that price is wanting to descend.

To expand in that; what is your decision making process in taking any trade?

I must admit, I forgot to look at my stochastic and Macd when I made this trade :frowning:
I solely based my trade on the upward trend.

I keep on forgetting about my indicators, sorry about that.

Hey, you don’t have to apologize to me. It’s your money you’re losing here. LOL.

You may want to write a check list or something to assist in your decision making process; so you remember to cover every point every time you are about to make a trade. A consistent approach builds consistent results.

Here is my trade 1 for april 2013.

a sell on EURAUD. entry is the triangle, stop loss is the red line and take profit is the green line which is set slightly above the weekly low. Reward to risk ratio is 1.5:1

EDIT:

I manually closed this trade at 62 pips at the blue triangle, giving me 0.38% of funds. Good thing I decided to close it, because immediately after closing, prices went against me :smiley: Lucky me! It did sure hit my stop loss.

It looks like it has a much better chance than your last trade. What is that first indicator you have below your primary chart? I’m familiar with MACD but I don’t use indicators so it’s not coming to mind immediately.

Thanks stonecoldmichael! I manually closed the trade at +62 pips, and I really got lucky at that trade, coz immediately after closing it, prices went past my Stop loss! :smiley:

This was a trade I made the previous day, but wasn’t able to put it in my journal. I entered at the orange triangle. Then manually closed the trade at the blue triangle.

The risk was 0.25% since it was correlated with my trade 1.

There was a general downward trend, I have set the stop loss slightly above a previous low (blue dashed line).

This trade gave me 0.17% of funds.

Here is one more trade I made a couple of days back, but got stopped almost immediately after.

The red line is the stop loss, and green line is the take profit.

I saw a general downtrend, but seemed my stop loss was too close (at 27 pips), so it got hit quite easily. Anyway this trade was at 0.25% risk due to the low number of pips in stop loss. So this trade gave me around -0.25% of funds.

Here is my trade 4, a buy on GBPCHF.

Stochastics and MACD are showing a possibility of uptrend, and there has been a general up trend, so I made a buy on this pair on the leftmost blue triangle.

Stop loss is red line, take profit is green line.

I am planning on closing this trade if prices seems to stop on the most recent high.

EDIT:

This trade met a stop loss, giving me -0.76% of funds :frowning:

In regards to Trade 4; instead of trying to catch the bottom of the a movement- why not come in after the rebound? Look at about 5 bars after your entry point. Do you see that big, well defined Bearish Engulfing Bar coming off of the resistance level? If you had entered once that stick closed, it looks as though you can take 1.5 to 2:1 before you hit the upper end. Granted, it looks like it’s at about the same location as the arrow. The difference is that the area around the arrow looks like it still wants to descend towards your Stop.

I’d also point out that when you’re trading a range bound market like this; you don’t want to put your take profit near the extreme of the range. Volatility and momentum will often start tapering off as more people start piling in for the potential reversal. An optimal place to be out by about 1.4440.

Thanks for the reminders stonecoldmichael. They’re very much appreciated. I agree with you on the entry. I entered while still seeing downward candles.

As for the take profit, I was banking on the general upward trend, but failed to consider having a take profit based on the most recent high. I based the take profit on the high indicated by the blue line. I guess you’re right at having a take profit at 1.4440. If I had followed what you said (including the entry), I could have taken a considerable amount of pips, and I should already be out by this time.

Aye. I really consider the trade to be suboptimal in general. I’m very much of the mentality to only take trades that can potentially return at least 2:1. If I couldn’t take 2:1 before about 75% of the range, I just wouldn’t trade. Quality over quantity. But again; that’s just my personal preference.

But in your case- the points I brought up are applicable to the way you approach trading. So as always; take with a grain of salt and only use what jives with you. :slight_smile:

Here is my trade 5 for April 2013.

Take profit is green line (180 pips), and stop loss is red line (148pips), reward to risk ratio is 1.22:1.
I’m guessing I made a mistake with this trade, I entered even if the reward to risk ratio is not greater than 1.5:1.

I’m thinking of closing this trade as soon as it becomes positive, as I’m not hopeful with it. I was in a bit of a rush to make a trade while making this :frowning:

EDIT:
ok closed at 0 pips, no loss, no gain.

Here is my trade 6.

There’s a general up trend, and my take profit (green line) is set a bit lower than a bit of a consolidation, and stop loss is red line (93 pips), with a reward to risk ratio of 1.85:1.

Here is the daily time frame showing the uptrend.

Here is the 4H daily time frame, the stochastics is leaving the oversold region, and MACD is suggesting upward movement.

EDIT:
This trade is now up by 80+pips, so I moved the stop loss to entry. This trade is now risk-free.

EDIT:
This trade met its stop loss, but didn’t give me any loss or gain, as the stop loss is at entry. This trade gave me 0% of gains.