Gas Prices, How are they effecting you

I am a little surprised this is not a trending topic, so let’s start one, some current events

Here in Georgia ( USA) we are at 4.09 a gallon ( Walmart) and that is after the state dropped all state taxes on gas

In California, they are just pennies away from $10 for diesel

Major gas station chains are spending millions updating their signs and pumps to accommodate $10+ a gallon prices

I remember when we first crossed one dollar a gallon and most pumps would not go past 99 cents

What are some of your stories in your area?

4 Likes

NC here, ours is now almost $5/gal.

Now I’m actually starting to plan out drives for a more efficient route when I didn’t care before. I asked friends and a lot of them haven’t really been driving much either although these people don’t drive as much anyway even before this ridiculousness.

I do feel though that people are pulling back on expenses. Buying store brand vs. brand name for instance. Just went to Whole Foods the other day and tons of grass-fed (aka more expensive) beef left. At other supermarkets, the cheapest eggs are always out. Pricier ones stay on shelves longer. All anecdotal of course.

3 Likes

Hi there @Dennis3450 from Georgia,

I just refuse to fill up my car. I put the same cost of fuel there as I used to fill it up with. That was about £65 (about $80). Now I get about 2/3 of a tank for the same price so I just pretend that my car gets less MPG. LOL.

Seriously, the GBP is about $1.25 today for one Pound. We get 20% more litres to our “British” gallon than you do in the USA, but we are metered at the pump in litres. On 30May22, UK diesel was £1.82 per litre, or £6.89 per US liquid gallon (3.785 litres). The exchange rate GBP to USD today is $1.26, so that is $8.68 per US gallon. Only just about twice the price of Georgia.

The USA has always had lower consumption taxes than Europe, and that accounts for the resilience of the US despite the “money printer goes whhhhiiiirrrrrrrr” attitude of your governments at the time.

I am right now trying to figure out who’s money printers have a higher pitch of frequency - UK, EUR or USA. By the look of our house prices since six months ago, I’d say ours is going a bit faster, and Rishi and Boris will probably “turn it up to 11” like Spinal Tap to stay in power just a few weeks longer.

5 Likes

Hi! As @Mondeoman poimts out, gas (petrol) prices in UK have always been more expensive than in USofA. I’m not sure i’ve worked it out correctly (British gallons/ litres/us gallons) but I reckon our American cousins pay about £1.15 per litre now, whereas we’re paying £2! I know we’re generally a bit less of a driving nation than USA so gas prices affect you more with longer distances to cover etc, but I’ve not seen much difference on the roads here yet - still seem as congested where I live in London than ever. Does mean people will have less moneyto buy other stuff and will prob lead to economic downturn.

3 Likes

Should be interesting to see how fast/slow all this unravels.

3 Likes

The best way I have found to beat these high gas prices is to own stock in the oil companies, my Exxon Mobil stock made me $450 yesterday, which will fill up my Truck 4 times at today’s price

2 Likes

800% Inflation on everything

Just a little humor from my truck driver brother

1a

1 Like

3 Likes

1a

2 Likes

Here in Ireland they’re up 70% . Haven’t been driving as much and when we drop the kids to school my partner goes shopping, I stay in the car working on.my phone do all our messages so we do as much in one trip to town as possible.
Make sure tyres are pumped to sufficient levels service when needed to ensure efficiency

1 Like

This was just two years ago,

image0

1 Like

Good to know we have a president who puts American families first

1b

This is crazy. I went to Target today and just noticed literally everything is so much more expensive now. They were already pretty expensive a few months ago but now they’re like reaaaallly hiking up them prices. Butter alone went from like $3.50 to $5.40. Wild.

1 Like

If you have not done so, watch the movie Hunger Games, that is where we are headed

All these price increases are directly tied to the price of diesel fuel

The USA is no longer the land of plenty

1 Like

There is either a political agenda at work or you are too stupid to do research

Here’s why tapping the US oil reserve has led to America increasing crude exports - and why even more US energy supplies could be shipped overseas

• Since President Joe Biden tapped the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, US crude supplies have jumped.
  • But refining capacity constraints have limited how much extra oil the US can process.
  • US oil exports from the Gulf Coast are set to climb further from record highs, according to Rystad Energy.

Since President Joe Biden announced the release of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to try to tame high gasoline prices, the US has sent more crude to other countries.

US supply is expected to hit 13 million barrels per day this summer for the first time since November 2019, according to Rystad Energy. Meanwhile, refining capacity constraints have limited how much extra oil the US can process. Because of earlier shutdowns and limited investment in recent years, capacity has shrunk and refineries have been running nearly at full tilt to meet high demand for gasoline and other fuels.

Here’s why tapping the US oil reserve has led to America increasing crude…

“But the unintended consequence of federal intervention is that more barrels than ever before are being sold to international buyers,” Rystad said.

I started this thread and welcome all to participate with their opinions and experiences

But if your agenda is to call your fellow pips members " stupid" or to cut and paste media propaganda then you are not welcome and your post will be flagged and removed

My thread, my rules

There is either a political agenda at work or you are too lazy to do research

It seems that all you are doing on this topic is spewing out words not understanding what’s going on behind the government’s decision to allow export oil. It seems you see a headline that supports your agenda, then run with it, you have a sick mind, and it’s a very close mind, do your research before posting, that’s who you are, a phony

Also, you are claiming falsely that the release of US oil reserves will have a major impact on gas prices

According to the Library of Congress, the U.S. Consumes an average of 20.6 million barrels of oil a day. Trevino says currently, the United States produces a little more than half of that.

“Right now, America produces on a good day, between 12 and 14 million barrels of oil,” Trevino said

If all 60 million barrels from the reserve were exclusively used in America and we were only reliant on that reserve, we would only have enough fuel for three days.

The Biden administration has tapped into the reserves before. On Nov. 23, they released 50 million barrels from the strategic reserve. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average price of gas dropped by 2 cents in the following days. By Dec. 6, it only dropped another 3 cents.

“It was so quick,” Trevino said. “They did drop, but then they went right back up.”

Trevino believes the same thing will happen this time. He says tapping the reserve may put a small dent in gas prices, but not enough to justify using a stockpile that’s meant for emergencies.

“If we tap into the strategic oil reserve again, we will do nothing but put another Band-Aid on another big wound, and we will only hinder ourselves if we ever got ourselves into a serious emergency here,” said Trevino.

Who call who stupid? and who answer to the word stupid :point_left:

the only thing you post is the headline without going into details on why oil was exported, I will cut and paste anything that expose your agenda and your lies -, ineffectual