Gas Prices, How are they effecting you

I am a little surprised this is not a trending topic, so let’s start one, some current events

Here in Georgia ( USA) we are at 4.09 a gallon ( Walmart) and that is after the state dropped all state taxes on gas

In California, they are just pennies away from $10 for diesel

Major gas station chains are spending millions updating their signs and pumps to accommodate $10+ a gallon prices

I remember when we first crossed one dollar a gallon and most pumps would not go past 99 cents

What are some of your stories in your area?

3 Likes

NC here, ours is now almost $5/gal.

Now I’m actually starting to plan out drives for a more efficient route when I didn’t care before. I asked friends and a lot of them haven’t really been driving much either although these people don’t drive as much anyway even before this ridiculousness.

I do feel though that people are pulling back on expenses. Buying store brand vs. brand name for instance. Just went to Whole Foods the other day and tons of grass-fed (aka more expensive) beef left. At other supermarkets, the cheapest eggs are always out. Pricier ones stay on shelves longer. All anecdotal of course.

3 Likes

Hi there @Dennis3450 from Georgia,

I just refuse to fill up my car. I put the same cost of fuel there as I used to fill it up with. That was about £65 (about $80). Now I get about 2/3 of a tank for the same price so I just pretend that my car gets less MPG. LOL.

Seriously, the GBP is about $1.25 today for one Pound. We get 20% more litres to our “British” gallon than you do in the USA, but we are metered at the pump in litres. On 30May22, UK diesel was £1.82 per litre, or £6.89 per US liquid gallon (3.785 litres). The exchange rate GBP to USD today is $1.26, so that is $8.68 per US gallon. Only just about twice the price of Georgia.

The USA has always had lower consumption taxes than Europe, and that accounts for the resilience of the US despite the “money printer goes whhhhiiiirrrrrrrr” attitude of your governments at the time.

I am right now trying to figure out who’s money printers have a higher pitch of frequency - UK, EUR or USA. By the look of our house prices since six months ago, I’d say ours is going a bit faster, and Rishi and Boris will probably “turn it up to 11” like Spinal Tap to stay in power just a few weeks longer.

4 Likes

Hi! As @Mondeoman poimts out, gas (petrol) prices in UK have always been more expensive than in USofA. I’m not sure i’ve worked it out correctly (British gallons/ litres/us gallons) but I reckon our American cousins pay about £1.15 per litre now, whereas we’re paying £2! I know we’re generally a bit less of a driving nation than USA so gas prices affect you more with longer distances to cover etc, but I’ve not seen much difference on the roads here yet - still seem as congested where I live in London than ever. Does mean people will have less moneyto buy other stuff and will prob lead to economic downturn.

2 Likes

Should be interesting to see how fast/slow all this unravels.

3 Likes

The best way I have found to beat these high gas prices is to own stock in the oil companies, my Exxon Mobil stock made me $450 yesterday, which will fill up my Truck 4 times at today’s price

1 Like

800% Inflation on everything

Just a little humor from my truck driver brother

1a

1 Like

2 Likes

1a

1 Like

Here in Ireland they’re up 70% . Haven’t been driving as much and when we drop the kids to school my partner goes shopping, I stay in the car working on.my phone do all our messages so we do as much in one trip to town as possible.
Make sure tyres are pumped to sufficient levels service when needed to ensure efficiency

1 Like

This was just two years ago,

image0

1 Like