GBP/JPY Equity Building Profitable trading strategies

Either that or the US Remimbi. Hey how about the Reichsmark that hasn’t been used in a while.

Texas will have the ‘Winchester’ :cool:

By the way, I was wondering why no-one in this forum ever calls this system the carry trade, because that is what it is. It is nothing new, hedge funds have been doing various versions of this for 10 years or more. There is also a carry trade index which is priced against an option surprisingly. Its priced against .25 delta risk reversals and indicates the risk or volatility with the carry trade. trying to find a link which is regularly updated.

Well…I think I’m screwed…I tried to enter my hedge trade and it wouldn’t let me, “not enough money”…but for some reason I finally got it in, but I have no room for any other trades. If it DOES retrace (and of course it headed straight up the moment I put the sell in) I don’t know if I will be able to take advantage of it since I will be locked in with this hedge trade.

Pretty sad.

I’d like to see that information …

Elijah calls it equity building but I agree ‘carry trade’ is more accurate. Problem with equity building is it can all be wiped out if there is too much dd. What should be done is play it as a carry trade when risk is favorable, otherwise stand aside.

Sorry may have missed the original thread… what’s your hedge and against what position?

What spooked the UJ? 25 pip drop in a minute … now it is recovering.

Whoaaa… Price must have moved a few pips up in order to give your equity enough free margin to get it accepted. You have to be really close to a call.

So what do you do now. Nothing until monday. Don’t touch $hi !!!

Monday decide if you want to give your account a boost or accept the loss.

I don’t know your financial situation so I won’t give you any advice on that one. Only you know.

Looks like the UJ is setting up as a M2P play … maybe not quite yet, but soon.

http://forums.babypips.com/free-forex-trading-systems/14840-m2p-contra-swing-strategy.html

If Todd goes, that leaves only my dumb a$$ left in the boat. All by myself and no one left me a paddle.

I am sitting on equity of less than $2,000…negative margin…no room for anything. I have 3 lots of longs and 3 lots of shorts against the guppy. So I am locked. If I was guaranteed it was going to go up (ha ha) I would drop the short hedge. But if I do, I don’t think I would have the opportunity to replace it.

I am re-funding the account on Tuesday or so…possibly Monday.

I don’t think there is much hope for me. I am so low, the timing would have to be impeccable to get me out OK. I thought earlier I was going to make it on that run up to 205.60…but then it dropped on me and kicked me out of the running. Wish it had worked…no reason why I didn’t other than just the crazy way this pair moves. I’m sure it will go up to 207 or further now. Actually, if it DID dump tonight I would be OK because my sell would build up equity…and when I was refunded I could then catch the move up. But that is also a long shot, and I have had no luck with the long shots.

Yes it is if we are only using technicals. Remember my strategy is discretionary and we stay on top of fundamentals and sentiment. That means, NO BETTING AGAINST THE DOLLAR RIGHT NOW!:smiley:

Wait for markets to range again. FX markets will range for 2 or 3 months and trend for about a month on average.

Whats the gap between your average longs and your average shorts?
Not that I can offer any suggestions mind you. That is where I think options might offer a better hope in future plays.

Have a contact who trades FX options in the interbank OTC market, so I am going to try and ick his brains a little.

There are fundies involved in your strategy? I just checked your thread and find no mention of that … what do you mean by waiting for markets to range again … you mean wait a month to apply your strategy to the UJ?? Maybe need an explanation on your thread.

OK M2P…what would you do. I am hedged right now…locked…can’t move at all. But, I could close the hedge and lose all of my equity and cross my fingers this thing keeps going up. If it drops even 50 pips I probably would start getting calls. I don’t know if I can close some of these losing longs and make up for it…shifting draw down to balance (I do have a decent balance.) Not sure how this works.

I could also just hold on to the hedge and keep it all locked up until some more funds come into the account on Monday. But then it could all be over. If it dropped now, with the sell in place, I could actually turn out OK…but it looks like it is slowly rising.

Do you think it will keep going up? Ha.

It’s not a matter of up or down. It’s a matter of your financial situation.

If you are asking what I would do, well.
I’m doing pretty well right now. So I can afford if need be to cover all my positions to a true leverage of 1:1 if needed. So, I will never face a margin call and one day, be next week, next month, or two years from now; I will be in profit. That’s a guarantee.

Also, I am not sweating this that much. So far all I have in an unrealized loss is most of my profit from last month. My original capital is fine.

If I had any way of knowing a better way for you come out ahead, I would certainly offer it. This is the best I can do. Don’t let your hedge off until next week when you have had more time to decide what is best for you and the option available to act upon that decision.

Hey…thanks…pretty amazing that you can be in such a good position…that is cool.

Well, I think it is too late. I do think it is quite uncanny how determined this market is to smush me. I took off the hedge seeing the pair move steadily up for the past hour and the moment I did it dropped 30 pips…so I am stuck now…and no where to go. I think it is a done deal and up to the gods now. I am going to bed. When my new money arrives for the account hopefully all this will be over and I won’t have to subject it to this stupid guppy crap.

If she goes up tonight to 207 without going down any more I will be OK…but that is like wishing for snow in July.

See ya around. I think I will be off of this thread from now on. Too rich for my blood!

She cheated me! MY order to buy was at 204.40 so on the buy she only got to 204.48 so she came within 8 pips of the bus stop, saw me sleeping and left my order there unfilled!

See Todd all you need is a buy order from me on the bottom to stop her downward movement.

I often wonder why she has been doing this to me every day several times a day ALL week. I guess she figures she owes me now for leaving her for 3 months or something.

I sure hope this is not how she is going to treat me because I wont allow it.

Well she did not come down the last 8 pip to get me and left me sleeping at the bus stop. Looking at the 12 minute, last night was significant, there has been a change from down trend to up trend. The lower low failed to hit.
Causing higher lows and still having trouble at the top at 205.60/80ish.

I would rather you hedge than sell longs and lose. I have been trying to devise a way to string her up as if in a web with a series of buys and hedges at the same time, Like sitting on a fence, when a crocodile comes you lift up your leg from that side of the fence. YEs she is making patterns, very detailed, very exact, try to step back and look more vaguely at her to see the overall MT and LT trends. Overnight I think she broke out of that ST DT.
I am going to have to place new longs higher to get in.

She is still mad at me and running away from me, WHen I chase her she stops lets me get on then turns around and goes south. So she is certainly
playing with me. Well key is too keep scalping one, after you are in too deep,
you can only wait and watch or add more money. You could be making mad pips between those ranges. She is so rangey scalping her is like clock work.
But I dont stay up with her, I go to bed and get up into london and then get a few more winks. Often I wake up in the night when she gives me visions in sleep.

GU is still in the crapper but UJ is sailing and GJ will sail, it IS what she does,
It is not possible for anyone or any group of people to shred her sails,
and don’t forget she has 3 600HP speed boat motors under the hood that she often doesn’t even run, Maybe she is trying to save gas? :slight_smile: HAHAHA!

Todd do not give up in your mind, I am trying to bring her up and you are trying to draw her down, I shall prevail, and I am flat, when I am flat she is often like a pinball.

She is taking off NOW!