Get out of trades soon?

Hi there,
When you see your trades moving in the opposite direction, do you get out of them? even if you set a stop loss?

I think it’s better to search for previous topics about your question than make a new topic. You can find good information on this topic

1 Like

I let it hit my SL

1 Like

If your chart analysis suggests that price should start moving upwards dramatically from where it is now, a valid reason for closing early would be if that did not happen.

On the other hand, if you are entering a long-duration consistent uptrend, with no very dramatic buy signal involved, it wouldn’t be unusual to see a pull-back before price resumed the uptrend again, so a little loss at some point when holding would no suggest anything negative.

2 Likes

I think that if you feel you need to get out of a trade before hitting your stop loss you probably haven’t thought the trade through properly. The stop loss is a vital part of your strategy and should be placed in the correct location to fit within your risk management. No one wants to hit the stop loss but if you feel you need to close the trade early it means the stop loss was in the wrong place. Also, you could close early and the trade could move down and bounce back before it hits the stop lose and go exactly where you wanted it to, so you’d miss out of your profit.

2 Likes

I wait for my SL to be hit. If you close earlier than your SL, it simply means you are trading impulsively.

1 Like

sometimes (maybe often), yes

but there’s also another possibility, which is that something completely unexpected has happened in the markets, usually fundamentals-related (“unscheduled news shock horror”) which makes you change your mind about being in the trade, maybe about being in any trade at all

which is why i also agree with Tommor’s comment above (and now below), too:-

that could be an example of what i mentioned above

in principle, i put my stop-loss where i want to be taken out of the trade if it goes badly for me, but there are also occasional exceptions where “something bad happens unexpectedly” and i’ll change my mind and close a position before it hits the stop-loss

(i trade from faster charts than Tommor does, though i’m very far from being a scalper, and i kind of want and expect a trade to move in my direction reasonably quickly, after i enter, and have been known to close a position if the price barely moves at all - which can also happen)

3 Likes

If the traders are opened, I take backup entries and sometimes use stop loss as a way to get out of trades.

1 Like

It depends on how long the trade has been open. If it’s longer than my typical trades then yes, I will close it! If it’s only been a day or two, I’ll keep it open. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As a beginner in forex trading, I sometimes get nervous when my trades move in the opposite direction. However, I understand the importance of setting a stop loss to limit my potential losses, even if it means closing the trade earlier than expected.

I try to stick to my trading plan and risk management strategy, but I also monitor my trades closely and reassess the situation if the market conditions change. If a trade is no longer in line with my plan, or if the market conditions have changed significantly, I may consider closing the trade to limit my losses.

At the same time, I understand that forex trading involves risk, and losses are a natural part of the process. It’s important to stay disciplined and focused on my long-term goals, rather than making emotional decisions based on short-term market movements.

Overall, I am still learning and developing my skills in forex trading, but I try to prioritize risk management and stick to my trading plan as much as possible, even when trades move in the opposite direction.

1 Like

i do not have that problem usually i just dont let my trades reach my take profit
greed is the biggest problem in this business

1 Like

I do not, I usually try to leave the screen and let the market do whatever it wants!
I do not watch the market usually after opening a trade, but I spend a lot of time on my SL/TPs so I can be sure that they can cover my potential losses or guard my profits!
That’s my method of chasing emotions such as fear :grinning:

1 Like

Hello JRB!
I try to avoid closing trades before it hits my SL! If you made an analysis and you believe that it is good enough to open a trade based on that, why should you close it? (If you think your analysis is not good enough so avoid a real trading account)
Best Luck/

1 Like

Emi, thank you I’ll check the links you provided. But since everyone has a different perspective, it’s nice to hear it.

1 Like

Thanks. It make sense.

so you are saying that in the first paragraph that if the price is moving up in this case I should close it?

I am aware of what you are saying. Setting a stop loss is the first stage in trading, however occasionally volatility in the markets may occur.

I only want to see if other people will follow the same. I appreciate your time.

greatly appreciate it when you comment on my posts or answer my questions. I appreciate your help, pal.

i set too. i mean while you have set it will you close it before it hits the sl?