Going offshore to escape the CFTC

I am okay with 50% margin right now, and although I’m a bit embarrassed to say it, I think it’s actually helped my trading discipline to be limited to that level of margin. .

My experience has not been the same. The new margin requirements have cost me. I was long on NZD/CHF when it was in a trading range as I was expecting a breakout, which did happen. Before it broke out it moved against me which with 100:1 margin would have been only a minor inconvenience but since 50:1 halved my margin level it got me a margin call and closed my position. I reopened my position and if you check the chart it has broken out of the range and I’m up almost 200pips. Unfortunately I had use less lots to keep my margin level high so I’m just barely making up for my loss.

JS:mad:

Then why do we not see any court cases by the US Forex brokers against the CFTC?

We have received a Halloween card from Gary Gensler and the rest of the fun bunch at the CFTC:

Coming soon – 25:1
Happy Halloween
from Gary and the gang

CFTC Headquarters, Washington, D.C.

Lol! Guess what, they know they can do more to please you in the coming years. Don’t worry, it’s just to protect you. Ehm, your chains.

Yet another powerful blow to US Forex brokers:

[B]Swissquote Bank acquires ACM[/B]

In a move that makes perfect sense for all parties Swissquote Bank, a Swiss public bank, just announced that it acquired ACM. ACM was recently denied its banking license by FINMA and I speculated that the firm will either sell out or move to another jurisdiction. It certainly didn’t take ACM long to make a decision.

In this move Swissquote will enter the retail forex market with a bang, as ACM is certainly one of Europe’s largest brokerages, and ACM’s shareholders will probably receive quite a hefty bulk sum or maybe even shares in Swissquote in exchange. ACM will no longer need to spend a lot of money on legal battles against FINMA and its business will immediately receive banking status through Swissquote. A perfect solution for both parties.

Swissquote acquires ACM and massively expands forex business

Swissquote Bank Ltd. has acquired ACM Advanced Currency Markets AG with effect from October 26, 2010. The parties have agreed not to disclose the acquisition price. ACM is headquartered in Geneva and has branches in Zurich and Dubai. With a headcount of around 100 employees, it is one of the world’s largest forex trading companies. ACM has achieved revenues of CHF 27 million in the first nine month of 2010.

A transaction benefiting everyone involved

The acquisition of privately owned ACM by Swissquote is an astute forward-looking solution that benefits all parties concerned. The takeover and subsequent merger with Swissquote Bank allows ACM, which does not hold a banking license, to continue operating in forex trading. Since it was founded in 2002, ACM has made a name for itself on the international markets by offering forex trading free of commission fees at the lowest spreads with guaranteed order execution. The takeover will not change anything for ACM’s clients since the existing platform and attractive conditions remain in place. But they will benefit from Swissquote’s good reputation, solid balance sheet, healthy profitability and, above all, from the banking license it has held since 2000. FINMA approves the takeover and will monitor integration, which is to be completed in the coming months.

Rapid expansion of forex business

The acquisition of ACM gives Swissquote an opportunity to rapidly expand its trading operations with its strongly growing eForex arm. Swissquote’s forex trading volumes will increase by a factor of four thanks to the takeover, and income from trading will increase from a good 20 percent to more than 40 percent of total earnings. What is more, with its new branch office in Dubai, Swissquote will in future be able to participate in the continuing dynamic growth seen in the Middle East and Asia. Further information on the takeover of ACM will be announced at the telephone conference scheduled for November 5, 2010 for the publication of the figures for the first nine months.

Swissquote −Swiss leader in online trading

Swissquote has 270 employees in Gland (Vaud) and Zurich. In addition to low-cost stock market access for private clients and portfolio managers, Swissquote offers a forex trading platform (FXBook), an attractive savings account and an electronic asset manager (ePrivate Banking). Swissquote Group Holding AG shares (SQN) are quoted on the SIX Swiss Exchange.

For further information

Marc Bürki, CEO Swissquote Bank Ltd., Chemin de la Crétaux 33, CH-1196 Gland

Tel. +41 22 999 98 50 | fax +41 22 999 94 54 | mobile +41 79 413 41 45

Source: Swissquote Bank acquires ACM | Forex Magnates

I wish it were that simple. How do you know that they would have the necessary standing to sue? Do you know for a fact that the CFTC has violated the law with these regulations or otherwise overstepped its authority? Suing just to sue without having a good reason and compelling legal justification may feel good initially, but you don’t want to get laughed out of court. The federal government is very, very powerful, and the courts usually side with it unless there’s a huge violation of the law.

To me, at least trying is always better than not trying - unless the US brokers fully agree the new CFTC regulations have not been anti-competitive and in accordance with the free market principles.

The problem that we have is that we’re too small as independent traders (many of whom are just starting out) to influence public policy or fight for our rights against government encroachment. Bigger, more established traders don’t care about this regulation because they have such high account values they don’t have to worry whether max margin is 50:1 or 100:1. If we could organize we could lobby or take legal action and make our voices heard.

Organizing small traders for a legal action appears to be an impractical hassle. Yet I don’t see what prevents US major brokerages from organizing themselves for it - especially, after their expectations for a cartel monopoly over US customers in exchange of lowering the leverage have faded.

I’m not sure how impractical of a hassle it would be. We’re the ones impacted by these regulations; we’re the injured parties. If the brokers won’t stand for us we will need to do it ourselves.

As you wish. It’s not something I would ever get involved in organizing, but I cordially wish you the best of luck with your intention.

Hey Clint and others,

Thanks for doing the research and leg work to figure out where to put our money. I have a simple question. Could you cut/paste you broker list to your first or second post and keep that updated. Being that this thread is so huge it is tough to find the updated list as I only check it every couple of weeks.

Thanks
Tim

Just scanning around looking for the list and saw this…still cant find it.

I must be an idiot.

Good morning, Tim

I’ve moved the List to the front of the queue four or five times over the past several weeks, but I see that it’s gotten buried again.

I’ll move it again, right now. Thanks for the heads-up.

EDIT:

Just so there’s no confusion, I can’t make the List the FIRST post in this thread, but I can keep it close to the LAST post
— which is what I have been doing, and have now done again.

thanks man…if you put it at the front you never have to move it again…but thanks a lot

Just looking and noticed the broker… Ask-O-Bid that strikes me as scarily funny kind of like “Honest Abe’s House of Forex”.

My only other comment is be careful people before you send your money to some of these brokers. I’m sure many of them are legit…but there also some very shady brokers out there. So do your homework even if it appears on this list.

Has anyone dealt with Strato Markets? Some sites list them as being in the netherlands. Though they may be a white label of IKON Global. Anyone have any info?

Anyone with experience with SmartTradeFX out of Canada? It seems like a pretty decent company.

I know this threat it about information, though I would love to hear if anyone has dealt with FBS. They to have everything one would look for and are supposedly stp. That being said their location scares me.

Has anyone had any experience with them? Clint would you consider them a viable option? I mean I know they are going to have more risk than acm, dukascopy.

That being said I hope one of the positives that comes out of these changes is that foriegn brokers who may have been suspect in the past realize that they have a big opportunity if they are reliable and honest.

FBS appears to be a Mauritius-based bucket shop with Russian roots, akin to NordFX, HotForex, or FXCompany. I’ve also found its review section on ForexPeaceArmy, for what it’s worth: FBS | Finance Brokerage Services | FBS.com reviews and ratings by Forex Peace Army

I guess they would be OK with small amounts, but never went live with them myself. For bigger amounts, better consider Tadawul, FXCBS, FinFX, or FXOpen.