Going offshore to escape the CFTC

I disappeared from the FX scene for a few years but I’m revisiting to make post-covid life feel more normal again (impossible).

Amazing how things have changed… I didn’t know until today that FXChoice stopped accepting US clients.

I saw that Hugo’s Way is in group 2 of this thread. I went on their chat and they sent me some weird restricted countries list - Restricted Countries : Hugo's Way Support

It is a bunch of random countries. I understand some of them like North Korea but the others are random. Interestingly the USA is not in that list. When you open a demo account on Hugos Way it is on the Cryptorocket server. I suspect that SageFX, Hugos Way, Prosperity FX and Cryptorocket are all connected. There are similarities between their sites. I would have to look at all of their servers. But definitely Hugos Way and Cryptorocket have some form of connection. If you go into the MT4 platform and search Hugos Way’s server and create an account, everything works fine but then you see at the top of the screen that the server is changed to Cryptorocket. I just did it right now and it happened again like a few weeks ago.

I found two more. One of them is www.midasfx.com and they said they accept US traders. The other one is www.fxsway.com - they do not have a live chat but they keep making mentions of not soliciting US persons on the site and in their automated chat bot but they stop short of saying they are not accepted. I saw some trading group from the US using them so if anyone wants to test these two, here you go.

1 Like

We need to keep an eye on U.S. regulators when it comes to crypto, could effect how U.S. traders move money in and out of offshore brokers

The U.S. Crypto Crackdown Could Reshape the Industry

The U.S. crypto community has long regarded Gary Gensler as one of its foremost enemies. Over the last few years, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) chair has talked often about the dangers of cryptocurrencies and the need to strongly regulate the industry.

And since the FTX crash in November, Gensler has only stepped up his aggression against crypto. While Congress has made little headway on passing a regulatory framework for crypto, Gensler has used his own powers to crack down on the industry. Over the past couple months, the SEC has charged several major crypto companies with violating securities laws.

Many crypto insiders are now complaining Gensler’s actions are stifling innovation and driving crypto businesses overseas. Others, however, argue that Gensler’s approach will weed out bad actors and help legitimize a heavily stigmatized and risk-embracing industry. Regardless of what happens next, Gensler’s actions represent a key inflection point for crypto.

“It certainly feels like a crypto carpet-bombing moment,” Kristin Smith, the CEO of the Blockchain Association, a crypto lobbying group, says. “As the lawyers are analyzing this space, they’re thinking really hard about whether or not the U.S. is the appropriate place to base some of these crypto activities.”

Federal offensive

At the heart of this battle is the debate over whether cryptocurrencies should be considered securities or commodities. Securities are regulated by Gensler’s SEC, which has a reputation for tougher regulation than the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the commodities watchdog. Many crypto leaders, including FTX’s Sam Bankman-Fried when he still held power, argued that most cryptocurrencies are commodities, and pushed adamantly for the CFTC to preside over their industry.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-crypto-crackdown-could-reshape-191445766.html

2 Likes

MidasFX looks promising. Low spreads on all their instruments, especially for crypto, and a 0.01-1000 lot trading allowance with 1:400 leverage.

Hopefully, this isn’t another one of those new brokers with potential that suddenly disappears 6-12 months later.

1 Like

I don’t have any optimism at all. The regulators have a pattern of fee collection (via lawsuits) rather then proposing any meaningful regulation. Even Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong has mentioned as his biggest frustration. He spends time and energy working with authorities on a project, only to get blindsided by another lawsuit and coerced into paying millions.

2 Likes

I agree. What I need is a simple place to trade that is stable and professional, without all of the complications, bloat and gimmicks. That’s why I never got into FxGlory or ForexBrokerInc (back when they were a thing). I’m sure there are others who feel the same way. I suppose with all of these companies, it is the test of time and how they handle issues that will show who will stand out. I’m going to open accounts with MidasFX and LQDFX.

2 Likes

My bitcoins have been stuck on the network for 8 days now

Why is my transaction not arriving

When your transaction remains unconfirmed on our explorer, your transaction has most likely not been processed because of a low transaction fee. You should contact your wallet or exchange to receive information about how to increase your transaction fee. Blockchair does not process transactions and can not help you with increasing your transaction fee.

https://blockchair.com/faq/why

1 Like

I don’t know MidasFX, but I know LQDFX and they are one of the best brokers I have ever used. great choice :+1:

This sounds like extortion

Binance Expects to Pay Fines to Settle US Investigations:

The world’s largest crypto exchange expects it will be able to settle ongoing regulatory investigations in the U.S.

As the regulatory scrutiny of the crypto sector in the U.S. intensifies, Binance hopes to eventually settle existing probes into its business.

https://decrypt.co/121478/binance-expects-pay-fines-settle-us-investigations-report

1 Like

Total shakedown is their SOP

1 Like

JFC that’s ridiculous. You would have thought by now they would have addressed issues such as this. The blockchain is only robust if you have the ability to edit the transaction on demand. The ability to make corrections, reverse, etc.

1 Like

We’re at 9 days today. With the attached 0.04 cent fee, it might take another 9 days to finish :rofl:

1 Like

The only thing I know of is Replace By Fee - where you can effectively edit the transaction while it is stuck to put a higher transaction fee during these times in order to prioritize it for confirmation. However it requires the wallet from which you are sending to support this and have the option enabled prior to sending. I use Electrum for sending and it is a feature in there. However if you withdraw funds from some exchange or elsewhere then you’re out of luck!

2 Likes

Yeah im aware of that feature. There needs to be a set standard features for the sender and receiver of a transaction. Stuck or stalled transactions needs to be a thing of the past.

2 Likes

Question on your thoughts about this, crypto.

Based on the fee attached to your transaction and you was already in the queue, would it be fair for new transactions with higher fees to jump over you in the network queue?

Not so much a question of fairness, higher the fee, the faster it will move, thats the tech behind it.

1 Like

In other words, Some transactions crawl, some walk and some move like Usian bolt :rofl:

1 Like

Let’s say I receive an email from Coinbase confirming I have received bitcoins, or I check my bitcoin address and it shows bitcoins but waiting for confirmation, should I be able to adjust the fee at this point?

Or should it be before?

Im thinking before would be the easiest to implement.

1 Like

got it, that will take adjustment from where I sent it from / broker end

EDIT: In the event that the broker doesn’t offer this option, it would be nice to be able to do that both ways

What I would like to see is the ability for the receiver to choose fees from a menu, ranking from lowest to highest. Much like paypal, you can get instant deposit for a fee or zero fee via ACH in a few days.

1 Like