Good Books To Get Started In Macro-Economic Fundamental Analysis?

Technical analysis seems all the rage. I started off with technicals and now moved specifically to price action intra-day trading. However, I would like a deeper grasp of the fundamental factors such as the macro-economic indicators and the economic relations between countries. It’s not a case of changing up my trading style or anything like that. It’s more like trying to understand the bigger picture. Can someone recommend any good books to get started?

P.S. Currently looking into ‘The Secrets Of Economic Indicators’ (Didn’t buy it yet, but tempted)

I think “The Secrets of Economic Indicators” is a good book to have if you you mainly need reference work. I also think that because macro concepts are relatively simple, you can learn all you need by daily observation and analysis work in a journal. I say this because the focus and behavior of the markets in relation to macro data tends to shift as the story changes, so I think you get more education through daily reading and journaling than any book in my opinion. The only other books I would recommend is the Market Wizards series by Jack Schwager. Seeing how market legends processed information is a great help to getting your own framework of processing the information on the right path.

More of an “academic” type read, but, will most likely cause a paradigm shift as to how you approach trading:
Cultures of Expertise in Global Currency Markets

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check out the Market Wizards series. I hope I’m on the right track, but right now I’m using Investopedia as my reference. I read up on various market events in their tutorials and the concepts of the market relations then see this in action.

Added this to my Amazon cart as well :smiley: Thanks

Good- it’s one of those books you’ll have for the rest of your life and will constantly reference.
My advice, get a highlighter and sticky notes.
Anytime you come across something which makes sense to you, note the page.
Anytime you come across something you don’t understand, note the page.

Review, rinse, repeat.

Just another quick question, which Market Wizards book is the recommended one to read?

Market Wizards, Updated: Interviews With Top Traders

The Little Book of Market Wizards: Lessons from the Greatest Traders

Hedge Fund Market Wizards: How Winning Traders Win

The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America’s Top Traders

Trading with the Market Wizards: The Complete Market Wizards Series and Trading Seminar

I just realized there’s so many of them! Which one should I start with first?

More broad, but essential reading:

Theory of Money and Credit - Ludwig Von Mises

Prices and Production - FA Hayek

Bretton Woods to World Inflation - Henry Hazlitt

Monetary History of the United States - Milton Friedman

There are many more but those are a good start for putting your mind deep into macroeconomics.

It doesn’t matter, read them all and don’t miss Technical Analysis or Market Sense and Nonsense
(which destroys the efficient market hypothesis). Beautiful.

Thanks for the direct download links! I’ll definitely have to take a look at these.