Great Trading Strategies

Hi, I have never seen such errors :open_mouth:
Iā€™m out of time today, but Iā€™ll check it out tomorrow :slight_smile:

Btw, I checked out the statistics, and it shows most of the trades that are taken out by TP, is reeched within 1.5 candles, while the average for SL is 3 candlesā€¦ But after changing close time to 1hour instead of 6-7 hours, the ea just showed a win ratio just above 50% so nothing fancy :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I figured it outā€¦it was something on my end.

As far as the statistics go, are these being derived from backtesting on MT4?

Hi, no, just something inside of the ea, saving the results from all the trades, and doing some math on the end :wink: (It just may be that may math is wrong though :wink: )

Ah, I see. No problem :slight_smile:

Thanks again! I will try running this on a real-time demo to see if it is entering and exiting trades the way Iā€™m looking for. If so, I will make sure that anyone that is interested in trading this can get a copy easily. :slight_smile:

The conditions did not line up for the 3pm GBP/USD long trade. Next trade: the AU open EUR/USD short trade.

The conditions lined up for the AU open EUR/USD short trade. Here is the setup:

Entry Price: 1.2965
Exit: at the open of the 7:30pm CST bar
S/L: 1.3005
TP: 1.2955

Happy trading!

Iā€™m just curious to compare your MT4 results vs. the other backtesting methodā€¦how many trades do you have since 6/3/09 for the 7am EUR/USD short trade?

Hi, since June 3. 09 to January 12. 2012, I have 261 tradesā€¦

btw, I have been looking throu the pages for a overview of all the entrys and exits, but I havent found any(yet), do you have a link or a copy of them?

The conditions for all of the trades can be found here: 301 Moved Permanently

Also, I am curious to compare the MT4 results in backtesting with my results (especially, as I mentioned, MT4 is notorious for having ā€œspottyā€ data for backtesting). I tried to run this in MT4 for the 7am trade, but I am only coming up with 102 trades from 6/3/09 - 1/18/12. Is there a parameter that needs to be changed for backtesting that is present in the code intended to be run live?

Just viewing the results visually, there are definitely trades missing. There should be somewhere around 293 trades in that time period.

Thoughts? Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Good morning all,

Hopefully you had a great evening and are ready to pick up some more profit in the FX today :).

The conditions lined up for the 7am EUR/USD short trade. Here is the setup:

Entry Price: 1.2911
Exit: at the open of the 11am CST bar
S/L: 1.2971
TP: 1.2891

Because of the marketā€™s close today, we will only have one other trade.

Happy trading!

Hi, there should not be anything nessecary to change in the code to run live, but I have only started programming EA for the last couple of weeks, I am using the systems presented here as excample tasks :smiley:

When I am backtesting, I go to history center, and delete all the saved data from my broker, and download only 1m data, and the strategy tester takes care of the rest, I have tried(unsucessfully) to use DeltaCopy or oandas data).

Anyhow, I just noticed a ā€˜graveā€™ bug, for the first post, I belived that I should buy if the last castle closed up, but after reading the last post you linked to, it seems I should Sell! :open_mouth: So the win ratio went up to 68.2% but the number of trade remains the sameā€¦

Iā€™ll have to investigate some more to figure out why some trades are ommitedā€¦ :confused:

Do you have an excample date when it does not trade, when it should?

The 7am EUR/USD short trade reached TP. Here is how the trade played out:

Entry Price: 1.2911
Exit Price. 1.2891

Trade length: 0 bars
Profit: 20 pips ($200)

Also, I forgot the mention earlier that the AU open EUR/USD short trade yesterday reached TP as well.

Next trade: the 12:30pm GBP/USD long trade.

Well, Iā€™ll describe the process that Iā€™ve been using to backtest firstā€¦

a. I open the ā€œStrategy Testerā€ window in MT4
b. I select the EA in the ā€œExpert Advisorā€ drop-down menu
c. In ā€œExpert Propertiesā€ I make sure of the following:
I. The ā€œTrade_Sellā€ category is set to true/ā€œTrade_Buyā€ is set to false
II. Set the ā€œBuy Hourā€ to my CST entry time
III. Set the ā€œClose Hourā€ to my CST exit time
d. Should ā€œModelā€ be set to option 1, 2, or 3?
e. Set the ā€œToā€ and ā€œFromā€ dates on the ā€œUse Dateā€ area

Are any of these options wrong? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Okay, it all seems right, choose model to be nr 1, Every Tick.

The timezone for the strategy tester does not necessarily match the timezone from the broker. It depends where you downloaded the data from(most likely metaquotes?) Where did you get the data from? And does anybody know what timezone MetaQuote use?

Sorry for the late update folks, but the conditions lined up for the 12:30pm GBP/USD long trade and it also reached TP. Here is how the trade played out:

Entry Price: 1.5539
Exit Price: 1.5549

Trade length: 4 bars
Profit: 10 pips ($100)

Thatā€™s all for the week folks; have a great weekend and I will update the board with the first trade on Monday.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

I actually used my current time to match up the time for the tester. I only looked for about of week of what was highlighted and some of the trades are highlighted, but not all of them as they were supposed to be. From what I can tell with preliminary inspection, it looks like it is highlighting the correct tradeā€¦but not all of themā€¦

Thoughts?

sat down with this for an hr and the tester is a bit quirkyā€¦ tpā€™s that should have triggered when looking at the chart manually.
the tester proceeded to fail to TP and and up as losses etc . and some rather disturbing results Stop losses triggered 2 hrs too early when price never reached stop loss.

also
if (Close[1] < Open[1]) signal = 1;
if (Close[1] > Open[1]) signal = 2;

had to reverse the ā€œ>ā€ symbols so it look like the statement above because you had buys/sells operating the wrong wayā€¦ i.e if bar closed up you were buying and vice a versa

ultimately this start boils down to your feed testing on my demo oanda account the price bars are not the same as my live trading barsā€¦

Ps should add this was testing on eurusd 7am bars

Hi, thanks for taking a look at the EA. I am aware of the reverse signal in the first, I misunderstood the conecept :open_mouth:

Todays modification are drawing a line at all the 07:00 candles to easy find them :wink:
I found out that Oandas timezone is not CST, I am not sure if its supposed to be +1 or -1 ( I hate timezones )
What I found is that while Oanda is 14:23, CST was 13:23, so im guessing Oanda is +1?

I also saw that Strategy tester did not close the point at the TakeProfit level, and thats a problem, could that be fixed with the slipage variable?

So this codes Sells instead of buys if the previus bar closes up(bull candle), and it draws a line on the 07:00 candle

PS. If anyone have any comment on enhancment, money management or strategy or general coding tips, Im here to learn and appreciate all comments :smiley:

EDIT:
Tried to edit the slippage, but it still dosnt TP or SL at the right time, may this will work better in forward testing? I also added some options of which days to trade, and if I deselect monday and friday the winrate goes from 67% to 73% :smiley:

AND more import since mai last year, the line goes UP Yay!

Please continue to comment, I really whant to make this EA ā€˜Perfectā€™ :wink:

EDIT 2:
Im running it live, with results here:
Great Trading strategy System | Myfxbook
I have also upgraded the ea to support 3 set of signals (It should be working good)

Could someone modify the rules here so we can upload mq4 files?

Sorry Iā€™ve been absent over the last few daysā€¦I will take a look at the .txt file in your post to see what the backtest results show up as. In reference to the time zone issue, although it is easy enough for a user to look at their current computer time and look at the current MT4 bar to determine what time is represented where in MT4, I have also seen this issue resolved by using an ā€œoffsetā€ var that allows you to enter the amount of time < or > GMT.

As far as the script missing TP at some points, is there anything in common on the points that it misses (i.e. bear bars that turn into bull bars before reaching the close price)?

Once I take a look at the code, I may have more ideasā€¦Iā€™ll post again on this later today. Thanks much!