Guidelines for adjusting lot size

Are there any strategies or guidelines for adjusting lot sizes based on account size and risk tolerance?

I use micro accounts and always keep my leverage or lot size small because I don’t want to put my capital at stake.

yes, visit these lessons Undergraduate - Senior - School of Pipsology - BabyPips.com

1 Like

Helloooo! :blush: If you’re referring to planning your lot size even before you open the trade, this lesson might help. :blush:

1 Like

Maybe it is not professional but before you try out a new strategy or change your lot sizes, it’s a good idea to test them in a demo account first . This is what I do.

1 Like

Are there any strategies or guidelines for adjusting lot sizes based on account size and risk tolerance?

This question just makes no sense.

The risk you can take per trade depends on the win rate and RR ratio of your strategy.

This being said, it’s generally accepted not to risk more than 2% of your account per trade, and Also have a Daily límit.

Adjusting lot size is a personal decision based on your risk tolerance and trading strategy. It’s crucial to have a clear understanding of your risk management principles and to consistently follow them to protect your trading capital and achieve long-term success in trading.

1 Like

My own leverage and promotions are also on a low level.thanks for your advice

Thanks professor. I should spend much time on school of pipsology it is a great source.

1 Like

hey Jckbt.
Thanks for the formula you mentioned just a question I should use it to calculate lot size??

Thanks Ria.
I really appreciate your time.
did you study the school of pipsology?

Hey Amy.
why you think it is not professional?
coz as far as I know all test their strategies on demo before.

why do you think so?
i was just trying to understand how to determine the appropriate lot size for trades and managing the risks

I guess every strategies that traders use is personal and it is based on their earlier experience and their knowledge.I asked this for understanding of how to determine the appropriate lot size for trades

Thanks for sharing the formula and I think it will come in handy for me.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jckbt
I applied it in some of my trades trying to learn it more still. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing in detail. I was at random in using lot sizes in my trading.

1 Like

My broker (Oanda) shows me how much I am risking based on SL and lot size. As I adjust the lot size the risk value changes in real time so I am able to use it to make sure that I do not risk more than 1% or so per trade.

I decide on stop loss based on trading conditions and then set the lot size from my risk percentage of my account balance, typically 1%. So for a 10,000 account the risk is limited to $100 per trade. I often use exit strategies that close a losing trade before hitting the stop level. There are calculators around for most trading platforms to help with risk calculations. I wrote my own in my testing and trading EA.