Has anyone’s mortgage repayment been affected by base rate increases?

So how have mortgage increases affected you? Or were you clever enough to fix your rate back in the good old days of low interest? My 5 year fixed rate is about to expire which will leave me considerabley worse off on my £200Kmortgage to the tune of about £200 /£250 per month. Anyone got similar stories? Anyone about to fix their rate again or gamble on an SVR?

1 Like

Sorry to hear that brother. I don’t have a horse in this race, but I feel your pain. I hope you find a solution. Hang in there!

1 Like

Thankfully for me I can’t even afford a house! :laughing:

1 Like

Just wait for the crash, then u might!!:heart:

2 Likes

That’s awful, all these price increases are making it so much harder to get by!
My mortgage has always been around $800 but it only changes slightly based on equity…it actually just went down to $809. I didn’t enter into the terms of that agreement - my husband and I moved into my father in law’s house after he passed away and we took up the mortgage payments. The company allowed us to just keep paying like his dad was. We have about $47,000 left but would have had to buy a new house otherwise, so we got lucky in that sense.

2 Likes

We are in unchartered territory in UK right now - BOE warned yesterday that we are facing the longest recession since records began and at the same time raised interest rates.

Lenders are offering deals - I’d take them for the certainty that they offer.

2 Likes

For sure. The house has no issues whatsoever too? Very lucky indeed!

I’ll be waiting!!!

We’ve had to do a few things here and there, bought a new AC unit when we moved in, had to fix a spot on the roof, and we replaced the laundry room floor because a leak had messed it up. My husband recently replaced the porch because the old one wasn’t in the best shape. Right now he’s also building a huge master bedroom for us so all of our kids can have their own room. Also a few other smaller things. Still though, I think it’s worth it.

Wow! He’s quite handy!! You must have been happy to get a new porch, right?

Out of curiosity, does he work as a carpenter or did he just learn growing up? Some people learn during their youth as a necessity even though they don’t do it professionally.

Jeez, no wonder my wife thinks i’m a lazy toe-rag! @HeavenRobinson your husband’s making us guys look bad!!:rofl:

2 Likes

Lol! My husband actually likes building things, it’s like his hobby. I’m not complaining though, I sit inside/outside and watch the kids, he gets to work on his projects in his free time, and I get a new porch out of it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like a win-win. Can’t beat that deal! haha

1 Like

Are you gonna have a floating bed?

Or a gaming room?!

2 Likes

I’d like my own wood-pannelled study, a music room with a grand piano and a formal dining room with a huge table that could seat around 30 guests. I wouldn’t mind a tasteful bar-room, but I’d prob drink too much. I’d also like a huge garden with a lake that backs onto mature woodland. A billiards room would be nice, although I rarely play.

1 Like

But it’s nice to have the option!

30?! Who are you expecting, The Justice League??

2 Likes

Yes. that sort of size but not nearly as modern.

1 Like

Ok that bed is amazing. But also, looks like it should be a breeze to clean underneath it :joy:

2 Likes

Or it could be easier to push stuff underneath instead of cleaning!

LOL I like the way you think :laughing:

I believe everyone will find the floating bed cool :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Except Isaac Newton.