Have you guys watched the BlacKkKlansman?

I guess I was hoping for the impossible again, wasn’t I? :sweat_smile: I understand and it’s actually a realistic point of view.

You’re right. :open_mouth: We can’t really call out each and every racist but we could at least support and push for policies that would ensure that discrimination (be it due to race, sex, etc) would be limited. :open_mouth: I just hope more people in power see this as an issue that matters.

1 Like

I think there could be an end to it, eventually, but it’s not something our generation will see. These changes take so, so long it’s heart-breaking.

I don’t think we will ever see racism disappear from the human psyche but I’m very confident we will see it abolished as any form of official or corporate policies. We’re well on the way in the UK. That’s fine for me.

1 Like

It’s true. :confused: It’s probably why it’s also so hard to imagine ever seeing the day it would completely disappear. It’s been around for so long, and I’m not sure if they’re forces are weakening. :open_mouth: :frowning:

That’s super great to hear for you! :open_mouth: I hope a lot of other countries follow suit. :confused:

Racial discrimination by shops and businesses started to become illegal in the UK from 1965. Racial discrimination in rented housing and in employment became an offence in 1968. So for all of my working life it has been illegal for an employer here to treat an applicant or employee in a negative way on account of their race.

Slavery was never formally abolished by law in the UK but slavery had never had a legal basis here anyway, so it could not be abolished. Judges had long ago said that if a slave was brought to the UK he would be free as soon as his foot touched the soil.

Sorry to note that slavery and slave labour remain in existence and legally supported even today in parts of the world.

I think things have gotten marginally better compared to 20-40-50 years ago in some ways. Namely, people are actually talking about it. It’s not just accepted as normal for someone to be racist, there are plenty of people who push back against the bigotry. My hope is that with time the number of those people will increase. I don’t know, maybe I am too optimistic about it.

1 Like

Racism’s a vile human defect. But knowing that that doesn’t change anything.

In practical terms, what do people think the UK needs to do to ensure all its citizens are treated equally?

This is great. :open_mouth: This gives me hope. :blush: Although I didn’t know there were still parts of the world practicing slavery??? :open_mouth: I always figured that by now, people have more or less come to the realization that no human deserves to be owned like that. :open_mouth:

I’m positive that this will happen! :blush: I think more and more people are now speaking up about this, and more people will understand and support the cause. :slight_smile: Whether EVERYONE would realize this, that’s a different thing. :confused:

1 Like

Nope not seen it

Yeah that’s fine! :smiley: I really didn’t add a lot of spoilers so that if you ever wanna watch, you can still look forward to it. :smiley: Haha. :slight_smile:

I completely agree. But, as I said, these changes happen so slowly I doubt our generation will see it. :frowning: