Help deciding on algorithm trading platform

I was hoping if there are any experienced software developers that could help me get started with algorithmic trading.

I’m a software engineer myself, and I’ve dabbled a bit with MQL4/5, but I would prefer to use C# to develop an algorithm using a REST API.

The only problem is that I can’t seem to find a broker that provides historical data that I can back test my algorithm against, only on live demo account, unlike MQL5, which allows me to test on historical data.

Basically it seems like my options are

1. Learn MQL4/5
  2. Use C# and only test on live data

Perhaps someone knows of a 3rd party service or method that would allow me to back test an algorithm independently of my broker (I currently have accounts with Oanda, CMC, and soon FXCM). I would strongly prefer using C#, but if I can’t test it I’ll just have to learn MQL.

Thanks.

And 3. you should nearly know everything about trading like manual traders do. It’s not enough to be good in software programming. If you don’t no much about trading you should stop and get the knowledge first. Than you may be succeed! :slight_smile:
OR you have someone who knows enough about trading and can tell you what to do.

I know it’s not an answer to your question. But it’s elementary.

Ahhh but I already have experience trading manually. I’m just trying to automated the strategy I’ve implemented in ForexTester.

Ah okay! Nice! :slight_smile:
And I dont know much about C :smiley:
May be this cTrader Algo | Forex Trading Software | IC Markets
gives you an idea?

Found this community https://ctrader.com/

Hi, meta qoutes have poor quality data it is better to use Forex Tester 4 or 5 to backtesting strategy.Regards Greg

Thanks for the information.