Help on how to catch a trend

Hi,

Currently in my trading I spot the support & resistance points. Most of the time they are held and I make 15-20 pips. But I am not able to catch a trend i.e. a move of over 100 pips in a pair. How can one be sure that the move will sustain and currency will decline/advance. I have tried to go with trend several times but I always get stopped out.

Use different time frames. I use the 4h to look for trends, the 1h to confirm it is moving in the trend direction today, and the 5m to pinpoint my entry.
Got this from the 3 ducks system

1 Like

Thanks, I will try this.

i also rely on higher TFs to identify a trend - and i also find the 5m TF is good for timing one’s entry, but if one uses the 5m also for exit this will not normally [I]keep [/I]you in a trend for 100+ pips moves unless the move is very fast and unidirectional. Usually the more significant trends will continue for days or even longer. In these cases you will need a different exit strategy than, for example, a reverse 5m signal. Using a 5m signal for both entry and exit in conjunction with longer TFs may well give you a series of successful trades, but it is not likely to [I]keep [/I]you in a trade longer term.

I’ve never found a way of doing that. I know a lot of people say the opposite, but for myself I find it [U]much[/U] easier, [I]and much less risky[/I], to make 20 pips five times than 100 pips once.

I too cant find a way , not much help looking at the 1H & 5M charts. I tried for EURUSD pair recently but it was rebounding from 1.1080 & 1.1100 back & forth. Closed the position with breakeven for a trade which lasted 2 days. For AUDUSD selling at resistance point gave 20 pips I.e. sold at .7662 levels bought at .7640 levels in about 8 hours.

Hi Lexys,

How do u make out the exit point in a trade?

With some of my set-ups, the exit is defined at the time of entry, in accordance with the current volatility, because long testing has shown me that (for those trades) that works out more profitable, overall.

For other set-ups (in which there’s a realistic chance of “having caught the beginning/resumption of a reasonable intraday trend”), I let the last third of my trade run, trailing its stop-loss manually above/under the most recently formed swings-high/low as it goes, and eventually exit the trade completely according to a fixed set of price action bar patterns (i.e. whenever any one of them is encountered, I then close the remainder of the trade).

[U]No exit method will ever be perfect[/U] (just like no entry method will ever produce 100% winners): however you exit trades, there will always be times (and perhaps [I]many[/I] times) that “some other method” would have turned out, with hindsight, to be better. That doesn’t matter. What matters is to have analyzed a statistically significant number of each, for that instrument, on that time-frame, to know a method that works out [B][U]overall[/U][/B] to be better than any other method, and to suit your trading style. Trading is very much a “collective analysis” game: all that matters is the long term.

If you are trading with any of the USD connected pairs, I recommend you add the DOLLAR / DXY indicator to your charts.

Watch for the crosses where the YELLOW dash line crosses the GREEN dotted line. For a strong up move watch the RED line (the dollar itself) jump quickly above the other two. It you use the H1 time frame it should help you catch more longer trends. Many times those show where the YELLOW dash line separates from the GREEN dotted line & stays apart for an extended period (hours to days.)

I overlayed the COMMODITY CHANNEL INDEX on top of it, which is the light blue line. I found that helps me.

For pairs where the USD is the main pair, this indicator & the chart should move in similar fashion. For pairs like the EURUSD, GBPUSD, AUDUSD, this indicator will be inverse. When the dollar is going up, for example, the EURO will likely be moving down. It is not totally “synchronous”. But it should help with longer term trades.
This is a recent screen shot on the GBPUSD. For some reason I couldn’t attach the actual indicator. But it should be hard to find. You want the one that looks the screen shot.

Exactly, To get correct trend you must look for higher timeframe

I trade 4 H charts.

Hi,

At last caught a trend…last week when dollar started rising I rode the same, made 221 pips with 3 pairs…

I use 1H -4H charts to catch a trend. Sometimes, for long-time trades I look on 1 day charts.

I trade with timeframe daily. It’s very comfortable for me there. I use MA indicators to identify the trend, although on timeframe daily you can visually see which trend is at the moment.

Back on babypips after a long time, everything seems changed. Its been a year i started trading full time, it has been pretty good if not gr8. Been averaging 1.87% returns per month. Learned a lot and the performance is getting better day by day. It is all about managing risk and emotions. I started here on babypips so will always have soft spot. I hope u ll had a good year. I dont know if members are still here, thanks to maryo, lexys edideb, for every help.

1 Like

Im by no means a pro at this but have had a coule 100 pip winners but When you find a trend moving and want to follow it with your stop loss dont let nervs get the better of you by rule of thumb i always keep my stop loss 2 pivot points behide the trend and use mac d and ema to monitor the trend is continuing

I use daily, 4h and 5min.
Look at Brent. I saw the downtrend from yesterday in the Candlecharts.
Then i waited to get in with BollingerBands or MA50 in 5min Chart. That’s it. :slight_smile:

Please be patience and wait till the show begins. :slight_smile:

Good luck!