Help with Choosing a Forex Broker for Backtesting on TradingView

I’m seeking advice on which chart to use for backtesting on TradingView. Do you select based on volume or another criterion? For example, I found that ICE broker has much higher volume for AUD/USD compared to others like Pepperstone. Higher volume charts seem clearer and better for backtesting. Since I trade with FTMO and their charts aren’t on TradingView, I need the best alternative for accurate volume data. Any guidance would be appreciated as I might need to redo my backtest

1 Like

It’s not a good option to trade a chart sensitive strategy, example you are trading a doji or candlestick pattern. When the broker has different time server, you can’t perform the same.

I trade with few prop firm. I use either ICMarket, Vantage or Pepperstone. In the past, I found out few prop firms had candle similar to Oanda. The profit will always be different since they use different liquidity provider.

As long as you make profit, close the eyes, don’t bother too much. Repeat until they become scam :rofl:

(I hope this post wont be flagged by mentioning broker’s name. Otherwise, I will start to use initial for everything :thinking: )

1 Like

Thank you very much for the help!!

The worst part is that my strategies also take candle patterns into consideration. I have been in forex/FTMO for a short time, about 6 months (I’ve only traded forex through FTMO). I always traded on the stock exchange of my country; they have charts on TradingView. Now, this difference in forex is driving me crazy :joy::joy::joy::joy:. In forex, I mostly trade the US500. I placed my strategy scripts on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) chart, which I consider the “gold standard.” If a buy signal appears on the CME chart in TradingView, and the candle on the FTMO chart is not a entry signal, but the context is good, this has happened several times, I enter anyway… because I believe the CME chart is the one that “dictates” the price values, since the CME has significantly higher volume.

Now I’m wanting to trade currency pairs, but I really don’t know what to do. for example, I tested my scripts on OANDA charts because I heard it’s one of the best. So, I have a strategy that is extremely profitable on the OANDA chart, it’s bizarrely profitable, but then I put it on the Pepperstone chart for the same pair that i was testing, and the strategy is not profitable :clown_face:. I’m trying to find a solution, but so far, I haven’t found one.

1 Like

Back then, I also started my journey from Stock Market.

CFD is really another different creature, different instrument has different characteristics. I strongly suggest you to learn how to identify market structure. It will help you a lot.

Trading with a prop firm, you are actually trading a demo account. You have to rely on their chart. I traded with FTMO before they banned user in my country. My journey with few different prop firms also the same problems. I’m using a script to copy position from my personal accounf into prop firm accounts, in the end when my real account having profit, for example 500 USD, the prop firm accounts, some have 200 USD, some have 400 USD. But when I loss in my account, the prop firms account will always worse :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wow, what a great idea! I will definitely do this later on. Trading on my account and using copy trading for my prop firm account.
So, I was thinking about this idea: what do you think of it? I trade the prop firm’s chart as if it were the Oanda chart. If there’s a signal to enter on the TradingView chart but not on the FTMO chart, I would enter anyway. I will take market structure into consideration and not just enter any trade. I’m a big enthusiast of market structure; I studied “pure” price action for a long time, really a loooong time, but it didn’t work for me because my emotions can’t handle it since the entries and trade management are more subjective. What worked for me was this combination of mechanical setups, where the backtest has a positive result even ignoring market structure, combined with using market structure/context for the entry signal on the chart.

This is what I do now. I will only trade with my ICMarket and Pepperstone accounts. Don’t do it during news. FTMO account in the past was extremely terrible.

You only need VPS to run copy trade. I’m using EA to copy MT5 to MT5. I trade on my mobile phone, never touch the prop firm account. All my 4 prop firms account will open position automatically base on my personal accounts.

2 Likes

Interesting.

For myself, I see and hear good things about Pepperstone and very mixed things about IC Markets.

Your comment about FTMO makes me curious, though. What was so extremely terrible?

And was this before or after they switched from actual broker accounts with Purple Forex and those other ones to their own top-secret, classified “internal management techniques” which they use now?

I will definitely do this later on! Thanks for the tip! I will do this with the money I earn from FTMO. Currently, I’m making around 10 dollars :sweat_smile: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: (I’m with the cheapest account). It took me a long time to pass the test because I was trading very infrequently. Actually, I bought this test just to see how it works, I was curious. Now that I passed the test, an excitement that I wasn’t expecting has appeared in me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:. My first objective is to earn enough money to buy the test of the bigger account.

Regarding the problem with the difference in charts, I had a better idea! I’ll adjust my script to be profitable on both the Oanda chart and the Pepperstone chart, or any other, and I will only enter trades that appear on both at the same time. I will base this on the principle that if traders from Pepperstone and Oanda are seeing the same entry, they will enter at the same time, so there is a higher chance of it being a ‘real’ signal and therefore having more volume. Something like that—I think it makes sense, haha.

2 Likes

Hi @S_Jane_M, I have been using Pepperstone and IC Markets for years. They are top 3 brokers in term of price quality, spread, executions and transparency. The other one is Go Market. They are regulated by ASIC.

(this is not advertisement. Don’t flag, 100% my personal experiences. :pray: I am using 15 brokers for trading, they are my top 3 brokers)

I am not with FTMO now, they stop all users from my country due to my country regulation. I don’t know current situation with them. In the past during news, FTMO spread was wild. I earned big with my other accounts, got minus with FTMO. I compared the spread with other brokers also non sense at that time. I stopped with FTMO around early 2023, I forget the exact time.

My profit was getting smaller, until finally got stopped. I have my own opinion about prop firm that I can’t tell here. Probably will get legal action by one of them. I know exactly how they operate. Only few of them have proper operation. Once again as long as you have profit, just trade happily but don’t rely on them.

1 Like

It wont effect the price. Even we arrange the whole world to open the same position 10 lot at once, the price wont move. This is because we trade outside financial network / market. So don’t need to use many chart, it will be useless.

It’s possible if you have very close relative who works in central bank as policy maker. This is the only way. :sweat_smile: It will surely work as long as the person doesn’t get caught by department of internal affair.

Just use chart you usually use and have good trading with. Copy the position and monitor the result. Wish for your success :pray:

2 Likes

No, of course. Not taking it that way! I asked, anyway, and you are simply answering! And thank you.

(I don’t disagree with you at all about spot forex/CFD prop-shops. I imagine that FTMO are one of the better ones, but I have never used one at all, so I may be wrong even about that.)

1 Like

Hi @S_Jane_M,

After the incidents with MFF and TFT ( I was trading with them ), I hardly can trust prop firm. I had done some investigation (not a james bond kind of investigation :sweat_smile:), I got some prop firm are “scam”. It’s similar to fake / unregulated broker. Only few can be trusted. Just be careful and don’t rely too much with them. Needs breakthrough to bring safety to both side.

Until now, I can say only darwinex has qualification and safe.

2 Likes

I understand. Very different from “prop-shops” and much slower to earn. Safer business model, though.

1 Like

For Forex and CFD’s I only use Oanda’s charts. They’re regulated, they report volume, and their charts most closely match my broker’s charts.

1 Like