Help with mt4 for backtesting

hi guys,

i've been trying to backtest some EAs recently and the MT4 platform just closes when I hit 'Start'. I'm using an older, no-longer-supported version of MT4(build 40x, can't remember). This is because I'm trying to use the tick-data method to backtest which newer MT4s do not support. some EAs work fine and will run, but some simply causes the MT4 platform to close. any idea why this happens?

thanks so much!

Hello bufanbufan!

I am on build 451 of MT4 and the Tester window offers me to pick the following models:

1. Every Tick
  2. Control Points
  3. Open Prices Only

I’ve done some other research, and the MT4 platform doesn’t actually use ‘tick’ data to backtest with. It actually simulates ticks within each minute data – probably makes it much faster to backtest.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling? If you are afraid of that erasing the current build that you have, try installing MT4 in another instance of MT4.

First, get the installer and open it on your computer.

Once you have the installer, double click on it and on the Installation Folder options, type another location.

If you change the name of the Installation Folder, it will load a new instance of MT4 for you.
Before (default): C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4
After: C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4 - 2

Once it’s done, open the new folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4 – 2 and you will see another version of MT4 available. Click on the icon named: ‘terminal’ (not the image, the application) and you will have a second instance of MT4 available. Try this out and see if it still crashes.

I hope this helps!

BB

EAs crash as you describe because they were built with newer versions of MT4 and are dependent on them. If you have source code (.mq4 file) , you can rebuild the executable with the editor program in the older build. If you only have the ex4 file, you are out of luck.