Hey there my friends

Hi I am Keiran! I am new to this forum but not to trading. Happy to be here and to connect to like minded people who love to talk trading :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome and looking forward to you sharing your successful tips of wisdom.

1 Like

Hey buddy good to meet you! What are you using to trade currently strategy wise

I have two basic strategies that I use.

1. Scalping for 5 to 25 pips, Sometimes with a CCI however I mainly trade the USD crosses so the DXY index is my main indicator.
  2. Longer term of 2% deviation from the mean and both bull and bear trends. Observing S&D and the trend line slope between them.

Interesting strategy! Are you consistently profitable?

Lately yes, I have maintained a positive expectancy. However I will point out that I have refined my gambling as well. Proving once again its not the system but the gamblers emotions.

2 Likes

I agree 100%

Hello @Glastonburyk! :blush: Welcome to BP! I hope you have fun here! People are nice and very friendly so I’m sure you can get to talk to different people here. :smiley:

1 Like

Hey there!

I have a goal here to really understand the value of long term cot report evaluation and to learn all I can from those who trade using cot as a part of their plan

1 Like

Glastonburyk, to me the COT report is not of great value to most forex trades. The one I use is at Commitments of Traders (COT) Charts - Barchart.com in the S&W positioning but on a longer-term scale

I would use this chart for the large speculator section. Noe the variance os the red and green lines hedging against each other.

1 Like

I am talking about analysing the cot long term looking for changes in the average longs and short near strong resistance areas. Simultaneously I’m looking for changes in open interest and using vsa to judge my entries and market turning points. I’m in it for the big moves.

NP just use the first chat and and you the appropriate longer time from and loog for the correlation to the large speculators.
For example trading the monthly chart use the semi-annual and annual charts for support and resistance. Then see what COT says, You may if not already check the correlated commodity (and I consider currency a commodity) for correlation…

I happen to trade from the outer bands in to the mean however some prefer to trade from the mean outward. It just makes more logic and safe to trade the mean reversal because it has a much higher probability of a winner. And as the trade moves back to the mean I will scale in as my Risk management allows.

That’s said I have only tested this with good results from the weekly chart inwards and just this week starting on monthly charts.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight buddy I really appreciate it

That’s interesting! :blush: Personally, I find the COT a bit too complicated so I don’t really refer to it much. :sweat_smile: But since there are a lot of people here, I’m sure you’ll find someone who could help you understand this better! :blush: Good luck on thaaaat!

Hey Keiran - welcome.

I used to follow the COT reports, using them in conjunction with the expiry of options.
Quite often you could observe price being driven up/down in an attempt to take out those options positions.

They didn’t always get there, but the trends created were reasonably tradeable.

Can not recall where the options numbers were published now, it was a few years back, but better traders than I may have done quite ok from that approach.

1 Like

Yes buddy in vsa they refer to it as smart money my entries are usually where others are more likely to have their stop losses.