Hey everyone — I’m Alex, based in the UK. Been trading forex on and off for a few years, mainly Forex. My biggest weakness for a long time was position sizing — I kept winging it until I finally built a calculator to force myself to be consistent. My goal is to turn this side hustle into my main earnings. Now I’m here to learn as much as give back. Planning to spend time in the Beginner Questions and Risk Management threads. Anyone else find position sizing was the last piece that clicked for them?
Welcome to Babypips!
I’ve never thought about position sizing as the final piece of the puzzle. Done correctly or conservatively it does allow for a wider stop and makes periods of drawdown more psychologically tolerable. I’m not sure if position sizing alone would save a strategy that loses more than it wins (lose money fast vs lose money slow).
It sounds like your strategy is winning if position sizing was your final issue. Are you using a fixed amount of risk per trade or risk based on a percentage of equity?
Great question — I use percentage of equity, specifically 0.5 - 1% per trade. The reason I prefer it over a fixed amount is that it scales naturally with my account. If i’m on a drawdown, my position size shrinks automatically, which helps protect the remaining capital.
That’s actually the core of what the calculator does — I put in my account balance, risk %, entry and stop loss, and it spits out the exact lot size. Takes the maths out of the equation entirely. Maths was never my strong point. ![]()
And you make a fair point about position sizing not saving a losing strategy — it won’t turn losses into wins, but it does control how fast you lose, which buys you time to identify what’s not working. Drawdown tolerance is underrated.
welcome Alex. yea position sizing was a big one for me too. entries get all the attention, but bad size can ruin even a decent setup.
having a calculator is smart because it takes some emotion out of it. once risk per trade is clear, trading feels less random and you can actually judge if the strategy works or not. good luck with it, sounds like your moving in the right direction.
Hi Alex,
I am from the UK. Thanks for your help for Beginners Questions.
With Babypips, i want to create a watchlist for the week ahead. What is the best way to do based on the Currency strength (https://marketmilk.babypips.com/) .
- What settings should i use for “Time Interval” and “Price Stream”,
- Some Currencies show big bars and Some tiny, what is the best way to choose the Bar Strength.
Appreciate if you can help or
@anyone can help
Hi rrapolu1
Let me be honest, I can’t answer that question, here’s why.
It would depend on what strategy you employ, the timeframe etc.
Did you create your own strategy or is it an existing strategy followed others, if so, you should ask those guys as hopefully they will have the answers you’re looking for. Good Luck.