Hi people of the FOREX community!

Indeed! And that is why any retail trader should choose a broker offering (or obliged to offer by their regulators) negative balance protection to their clients who are defined and classified as retail! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well said @anon46773462!!! This is all I wanted to do here. Just to bring to the attention of traders the possibilities and their consequences. On the plus side, there are ample possibilities to make good money. Just be careful.

1 Like

Welcome to BP @NakedFXTrader! Hope to hear more and learn from you in the future. :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you @CoinLady much appreciated!

1 Like

you know @anon46773462 I can tell you an amusing story as to how I got into the money market. It was in the early 80’s. A friend of mine came to me and asked if I could find $50k, I said yes, then why. He said he had a syndicate that lent money on the short term money market. They used to lend $1m over a long weekend. We got 25% return on the money. No questions asked as to where the money came from. We used a broker who always setup the deals. It could never happen now. Just a quaint story.

I remember that era well! :joy: Maybe on a larger scale but I suspect for a similar purpose…

I worked at that time on the funding desk in a bank dealing room. Part of our daily routine was to balance the foreign currency accounts overnight. All banks have payments in and out of these accounts all day long but it is the overnight balance that had to be “in the black”. So there was the interbank overnight market expressly for banks to do this borrowing/lending for account dressing purposes from O/N to maybe a week at a time.

But I am surprised that you got that kind of return on USD. If I recall, it was GBP that had an inverted yield curve in those days and O/N money was expensive. The USD rates were quite low, especially with funds from commercial paper programs. But then the transaction sizes were usually, for us anyway, around 5-50 mill in these currencies, but much less in other currencies like DEM, CHF FRF, etc

it was AUD not USD. And it was domestic. The interest rates in AUS were horendous!
I think the average lending rate was like 17%.

Please also remember I am not a financial professional, this was just a sideline. My main business was always military. I think it just highlights the fact that when FOREX disappears, as indeed it will, something else will take its place. Plus a bit of nostalgia.

Ah yes, that was not a currency we were involved with back in the day! :slight_smile:
Mostly, when short term interest rates were excessively high, it was the deliberate policy of central banks to discourage speculative activity.

I suspect from the growing interest in Crypto currencies, even here on BP, that many see precisely that as the new “something else”. And that may well be the case as more and more central banks look into it - and more and more wish to see an end to the dominance of the USD in global transactions.

As they say, the only thing that is permanent in this world is change! :smiley:

Nice chatting. Seems we are about the same vintage. Different paths, but they cross here. And I agree with you about Crypto. I think it is the new ‘thing’.
As they say " nothing progresses like progress".:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like