Higher Timeframes

Hello you very intelligent and amazing people. I do hope you are doing well today.

I please wondered regarding trading Forex, i know some people have more success trading higher timeframes and trend trading Forex. I please wondered how you look for these higher timeframes please? Further what are the general principles of the setup of trend trading Forex please? If anyone kindly had any thoughts on this i would be forever grateful and thankful.

Enjoy the new week and hope you achieve massive success and thank you very much for reading my post. All the best.

2 Likes

Hi, just wanted to share my view on your question,

Well regarding timeframes it does depends on your personal risk appetite and available time that can be committed to trading. For instances if you cannot handle the idea of handling multiple losses in a short period of time then the small timeframes would not be a good fit. Another example is if you have a full time job and cannot have the time to monitor the charts all day, then the higher timeframe would be a good fit in this case. Beside timeframes is just timeframes, or in other word the frequency you want to retrieve the data for your analysis and trading decision, so you can pick like just two timeframes that suits your risk profile and your available time, where one time frame for entry, and the other for the bigger picture.

Aside from what I said before, the higher time frame can also be use the get the bigger picture and the major trend of the higher timeframe. So for instances you have a buy setup on the hourly chart, but then if you look at the daily chart, it showing a healthy downtrend. In this case the buy setup potential can be limited and the trade can be skip and look for trade setup that aligns with the higher time frame chart.

For the general principles of trend trading setup in my view is to know the trend first on the bigger picture so you can use things such as market structure (higher high and higher lows for uptrend, lower high and lower low for a downtrend) or moving average to help determine the trend.

Then once a trend is identified, you can either trade the break out (buy high sell higher / sell low sell lower) or trade the pullback (buy low sell high, sell high buy low) on your entry timeframe. So you have to find your niche if you’re more into a breakout or a pullback as both have their own pros and cons and find criteria of a high probability breakout or pullback setup.

I hope my answer helps :smile:

3 Likes

Hello! When looking for higher timeframes, you can typically find them on your charting platform by adjusting the timeframe settings. This could include daily, weekly or monthly charts. As for trend trading, the general principle is to identify the direction of the market’s trend and then enter positions in line with that trend. Best of luck to you as well!

2 Likes

To find higher timeframes in Forex, use charting platforms like MetaTrader to trend trade Forex, look for the direction of the trend with indicators like moving averages or trend lines and trade in the same direction It’s important to be patient and disciplined and seek guidance from reliable sources.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response Toshiro.White that was extremely helpful of you and very kind of you to reply in that much detail.

I now completely understand that the higher timeframes would be a better fit if you had a full time job and dont have the time to monitor the charts all day. You also mention that the higher time frame can also be used to get the bigger picture and the major trend of the higher timeframe. For instance if a buy is setup on the hourly chart, but it shows a downtrend on the daily chart the setup could be limited. Thank you very much for this very insightful post.

Can i kindly please ask lastly, how did you generally learn the skills for Forex trading please or anything you felt was most important to advance your skills? Was there any books you could recommend please? Did you take any courses please? Do you follow specific Traders or watch YouTube videos for instance? If you kindly had any thoughts on this it would be more appreciated than you ever may know and i very much appreciate your support.

I am sure you will achieve massive success Toshiro.White and thank you very much for your kindness. All the very best to you and enjoy the rest of your day.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better! :blush: That was a very detailed explanation. :blush: I guess, just adding to what Toshiro said about using higher time frames to see the major trend and the bigger picture, this lesson might be an interesting read! :blush: Basically, using different time frames (with one of them possibly being a higher time frame) can also help beef up your strategy. :blush:

3 Likes

bam!

It is my pleaure to share what I have know and helping other traders on their trading journey. First of all I do humbly aware that I still have much to learn on my trading journey and find myself a life long learner. Generally, i learn about trading basically starting from the basic of forex which i do believe babypips had already covered in its learn about forex section. Then I would learn about technical analysis and try spotting them on the live charts at the same time, so it’s more of a deliberate practice.

Then after knowing about technical analysis, I get my hands on fundamental analysis so I study about economic data and what creates bias for a currency pair because of how fundamentals can serve as a driver for currency expectation and could lead to some nice trend. Then I would also picked up on sentiment analysis to get a general feel of the market on whether the market is risk-on or risk off and from the sentiment itself can also helps in creating bias for currency, for example a risk on sentiment would be bullish for high risk currency like the GBP against the JPY which is a safe haven currency.

I do not take any course actually, and for YouTube videos I really like karen foo as her videos explain about technical, fundamental, and sentiment analysis, which for me is good balance as I’m not that fond of content about flipping accounts or solely focus on technical analysis. Regarding books I can recommend trading wizard and trading in the zone which is quite famous in the trading industry.

Lastly, my thoughts for all those who are in this trading journey together is that, regarding strategy, focus on one thing that you fond of the most maybe it is chart pattern, or indicator, or even as a simple support and resistance and then try to trade based on the strategy that you have developed and journaling them to see what you did right, what you did wrong, and how can I improve. By doing so it is like having a personal mentor that help you get better in trading.

Also when surfing through the internet, I personally advise to avoid intention in flipping accounts like from $100 to $1 Million, because that sort of returns are somewhat unrealistic and unsustainable, and if you look at the industry like Warren Buffet hedge fund they have like 20% annual return and that is a good return. So try to aim for that kind of return as it does help you control risk and to not put unnecessary pressure on yourself which can be negative for your trading psychology. A good but also extreme example for me it is like flipping a coin and if you are right then you double your life expectancy but if you are wrong you would immediately die, if that the case, would you flip the coin? knowing that maybe you have your family, career, or even enjoy life in general. For me I would not flip the coin. So try to take this slow and treat this trading journey as it is like your personal PHD so you can enjoy trading and stay in the game for the long run.

And one last thing I want to mention is that, when we are still in the learning phase of trading, try to start with a small account size to limit your cost of learning. Because as we develop our approach to trading we will come across trials and errors and losses are a part of trading. But if you start small and once you have reach profitable state, to recover your cost of learning would be much easier unlike if you start big and lose a lot of many and once you reach profitable state, you would still have to recover your cost of learning. So it’s more like a student debt, where the less student debt you have, the quicker you can reap the fruit of your labor.

I guess it’s a great opportunity to spend some great time and build a brighter future for yourself and your entire family! A habit that will change your mind for sure