How are the markets doing? - weekly meta-TA

We all know (or we are all learning) how to read a chart. We can all use indicators to help us see changes more clearly on that chart. Obviously, no two charts are identical. But that doesn’t mean they are unrelated.

I’m going to post here some conclusions from my own personal weekly review of the markets on a more quantitative basis. I’m not going to repeat the TA others do on individual charts, it will be more of a cross-chart review, a summary of TA across groups of charts rather than the TA of this chart, then the TA of this chart, then the TA of this chart etc. etc.

Right now I am looking each weekend at the following parameters (these may rotate periodically) -
20EMA:50EMA sequence
50EMA slope
recent run of consecutive weekly bars not breached by 50EMA
number of recent overlapping consecutive weekly bars
recent run of consecutive weekly closes above/below 50EMA
bullishness / bearishness of each major currency’s set of charts using 50EMA slope.

This week’s report to follow.
I have been doing this exercise for many months but I don’t track the developments from week to week. So I hope this is going to be useful to me as well as members.

1 Like

First off, looking at the 20/50EMA sequences plus 50EMA slopes on the daily charts for major forex pairs. These are matching and bullish for all the major GBP charts and NZD charts, mostly bearish for AUD and CAD.

Taking the 50EMA slope directions separately, this is bullish for GBP in 7 out of 7 charts, bearish for CAD in 7 out of 7, so long GBP/CAD is of interest by this measure of strength/weakness.

Switching to weekly HL bars, only AUD/NZD has an impressive sequence of recent bars unbroken by the 50EMA (daily), with an 8-week run so far. 23 of the 28 major pairs saw their prices paddling back and forth across their respective 50EMA’s this week.

Weekly bar overlaps are also at an unusually high level. Looking back over the last 3 months, 18 of the 28 major charts show last week’s bar overlapping with consecutive preceding bars for at least half that period. 7 charts have 13-week overlaps.

Consecutive runs of weekly closes above/below the 50EMA shows a more mixed picture, but confirms the bullish performance of GBP and NZD, the bearish results for AUD.

Looking at the bullish or bearish “points” score for each pair from the above, there aren’t many high scorers. AUD/NZD gets full marks as a downtrender, GBP/CAD not far behind as a long. Just behind them are AUD/CHF, CAD/CHF, EUR/GBP and EUR/NZD shorts, and GBP/AUD and NZD/CAD as shorts. Excluding the minor currencies, the best trade indicated amongst the big 4 would be a EUR/GBP short.

But the lack of commitment across the board is a concern. Almost no sustained trends. Few sustained significant % moves. Large degree of ranging patterns. The Brexit deadlock effect might be responsible, as its hampering commitment to the 2nd and 4th most traded currencies globally, a combined total traded value at least twice that of the JPY, the 3rd most heavily traded currency. Brexit is not just a GBP issue.

The lack of commitment in the markets might be thought of as purely an issue for long-term traders. Not so. The impact of flat prices is being felt in short-term trades also like intra-day break-outs, ORBO’s etc… Thinking about it, why would the big players who move prices buy big when London opens? - prices aren’t going to rise far because big sellers will step in within about 5 minutes to hammer them down again, so why take the risk? If you normally trade intra-day with a very positive r:r, like 1:3 or more, maybe that won’t be attainable consistently for a little while.

Plus, political events between London and Brussels could (and will) change the picture within the next 5 minutes. At this stage, even the announcement of an unscheduled press conference at No.10 will bounce the GBP and EUR about like squash balls.

For both long- and short-term traders, this is a high risk period.

Weekly meta-TA round-up across the 28 leading forex pairs for w/e 29/03.

20/50EMA sequences – EUR: all 7 bearish. Others: mixed

50EMA slopes – bearish for EUR, others are mixed

Weekly bars unbreached by 50EMA – Only EUR/NZD has managed the last 3 successive weekly bars without these being dissected by the 50EMA. All others were breached either last week or the week before. This level of hugging the 50EMA indicates unusually weak directional movement.

Weekly bar overlaps over the last 3mths – Majority (23/28) of charts show overlaps of more than 4 weeks: 12 charts are into double figures. This is exceptionally weak price action, very range-bound.

Weekly closes v’s 50EMA – 20/28 show only the last 1 or 2 weekly closes north or south of the MA. EUR/GBP and EUR/NZD show impressive long runs of bearish weekly closes, at 12 each.

On points scored at the week’s end, no pair scored 7/7 on my system, only 2 scored 6/7 and 3 scored 5/7. I’ve never seen a week without a maximum points score, and the others are nothing to write home about.

This seems a great time to put forex trading on hold, or at least take modest short-term positions with unambitious TP points.

EMA is very useful,like it!

My apologies - missed posting last week as away for weekend.

Week ending Friday 12 April -

20/50EMA sequences – EUR: 7/7 bearish. GBP: 7/7 bullish. USD: 6/7 bullish. NZD: 6/7 bearish.

50EMA slopes – AUD: 7/7 bullish. JPY: 7/7 bearish. USD: 6/7 bullish. NZD: 6/7 bearish.

Weekly bars unbreached by 50EMA – Only 1 chart of the 28 majors shows the last 2 weekly bars unbreached.

Weekly bar overlaps over the last 3mths – Majority (21/28) of charts show overlaps of more than 4 weeks: 11 charts are into double figures.

Weekly closes v’s 50EMA – Only EUR/USD and GBP/NZD show extended runs on one side of 50EMA. Only 10 of the remaining charts make as many as 3 weeks with bullish weekly closes or bearish weekly closes.

On points scored at the week’s end, no pair scored 7/7 or even 6/7 on my system. Conditions are exceptionally indecisive.

As you might imagine, I am short-term intra-day trading only right now.