How can I stop being nervous?

How can I transfer the confidence and calmness I have while trading demo to life trading?
I noticed when I’m trading demo, I’m patience and I always allow the market play out. But when I’m trading life account it’s the opposite. I end of loosing money in a winning trade. how can I stop being nervous

1 Like

same problem actually.
but there are 2 rules that work for me:

1. do not deposit funds that you cannot allow yourself to lose
  2. imagine this is a game (controversial though)
2 Likes

I was also very anxious in the beginning. I think you have to prepare yourself for the fact that losing money is part of it and not the end of the world. I started by risking a very small amount of money until I worked up the confidence and always used proper risk management to ensure that I wouldn’t lose an unreasonable amount of money.

4 Likes

Being nervous is a normal emotional response. You could aim to take your trades to breakeven, take a 50% profit, move the S/L and let the trade run.

4 Likes

Let try with the smallest size in life account such as 0,01, do the good risk management and every time you have the win trade, do not let it become lost one, take the profit even though it $0.1. Good luck!

4 Likes

perfect reply , its a very common emotional response , after having more experience no way to avoid this issue , as human being of course have to face it.

1 Like

Everyone circumstances are obviously different ,we don’t know your circumstances .As mentioned many times on BP it’s a No No ,starting trading and expecting an immediate windfall, or borrowing money to fund account s , or expecting to win to pay off bills ect.I not suggesting this applies to you but it’s the opposite psychology needed to be successful.On a more positive note it is irrelevant what amount you can afford to start with ,as if you have a winning formula you can build up your account Knowing this, you will naturally become more confident

1 Like

do some refreshing activity after applying your setups soon everything will get well

1 Like

You don’t feel emotions when you are trading demo as it’s not real money.

Only you can control your emotions. Maybe have a risk % for the day, if you have a bad day, step away from the charts, go for a walk/go to the gym - something to take your mind off it.

2 Likes

Simply lower your position size, risk such an insignificant amount you don’t bat an eyelid that its gone, but if your trade set up was for example a 1:5 RR your going to grow your account none the less. If its because your still unsure in your analysis and or expectation of upcoming price action, spend more time with that pair on a demo account. Treat demo funds as you would real funds, that identical discipline helps with the transition to live trading. All your doing is replicating your processes that you achieved a consistent result with using a demo. Take out the emotion by creating a systematical gameplay. I dont rely on indicators but I do use emas and volumes alongside psychological TA to give me a reason to take a position on an expected movement from a to b. And that is all, if it goes further who cares, the higher probability trade was a success. Move on and next trade. If its a loss so what 1% down. Move on, next trade. Don’t fear the markets

1 Like

Are tou winning on demo? If so, for how long? If you’ve been winning for a few months then u can win on real account, so I agree with @mercury-croc - limit your stake to what u can afford to lose and don’t think of it as real money!

1 Like

Apply strategy and not emotion. Don’t risk more than you can afford to loose.

1 Like

There is no one set way to prevent yourself from being nervous. My advice would be to just relax and trade, with the mindset of what’s the worst that can happen. If you think about it too much, you will lead yourself into higher blood pressure and anxiety.

1 Like

I think I speak for everyone that we were always nervous when we started in the beginning. The best thing is to be prepared for the possibility of losing money. It is not the end of the world.It happens, so keep in mind that it is part of the trading journey to feel nervous and facing negative emotions. Honestly, in my opinion, start slow and then you will see that it will become more comfortable once you gain skill and knowledge.

2 Likes

It’s okay to be nervous in the beginning. It happened to me too, as a beginner, but one gradually learns how to avoid them; practice is what makes you good at it. When I feel my emotions are overpowering me while trading, I prefer to take a break, pause the trading schedule, calm myself down, and then return to work.

4 Likes

Just trust yourself that you’re making the right choices while trading and analyze every trade.

1 Like

Nervousness comes from fear of making the wrong decision and fear of loss.

You need confidence in your strategy and familiarity with how to run it.

Drop down to a single strategy. Identify the single set-up you will use for your trades. Manually draw out the only entry pattern you will take trades from. Just focus on one type of trade. If necessary just concentrate on long-only trades.

Then run that strategy in demo until you have such confidence in your trading that you absolutely know it will be profitable long-term and so automatic that you can do it in your sleep.

2 Likes

How much demo trading have you done? I’d suggest do more and drill in the habits that work for you. If you have confidence in the system based on hard data it will improve your live trading when you go back to it. I firmly believe lack of conviction in live trading can be traced back to insufficient data collected practicing.

1 Like

We can’t get rid of all our anxiety in all areas of our life. It is a part of us, and a very valuable part. Because sometimes it helps us make right decisions too, but one thing that can help is being courageous. Being courageous while anxious increases confidence, and confidence in turn increases the ability to handle the anxiety that comes with loses.

1 Like

Understand that you don’t become a pro trader overnight. Whenever you’re nervous about the outcome, most likely it’s because you’ve not well prepared. So many times the market acts up and we don’t have control over its movements. As a trader you need to understand what’s in your control and what isn’t. Since forex is volatile and it’s not in your control, figure out how to react to the market instability. Reduce your position sizes and learn how to effectively manage your trading account.

2 Likes