How Convert Code or Script to Indicator?

Hi Traders,

I often see a code for an indicator that I’d like to place on my MT4, but I don’t know how.

For example, I just found a sessions indicator code at Code for All 4 Forex Sessions W/ Background Highlight!!! — Indicator by ChrisMoody — TradingView that I’d like to convert for use on MT4. This code may be proprietary for TradingView; but even if it is I’d like to know how to convert or apply code or script in general for MT4 use.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Norm

Become a Programmer or pay one to code.

However usually if you search MT4 library (enough) you will find it or a good copy.

1 Like

By using meta editor that comes with MT4.

If you search the mql market you will find a sessions indicator for mt4 free of charge.

Thanks midwest,

No time to learn programming now, but I’ll look into Library.

Happy trading,
Norm

1 Like

Hi A1len Trader,

I took a look at metaeditor. Requires a learning curve. I’ll look into it further, though. I’ll also check Market.

A good option I have is to simply check the excellent Oanda Market Hours Clock, Forex Market Trading Hours | World Forex Trading | OANDA, but an on-chart sessions indicator may be better.

Aside from a sessions indicator, it would sure be nice to be able to drop any indicator code or script into a simple software program that would convert it into a usable indicator. Don’t know if there is one. As I said, the metaeditor requires a learning curve, and I am trying to save the few functional brain cells I have left :grinning:, so we’ll see how it goes.

Take care,
Norm

You dont even need to use meta editor,
Just start up mt4 click the market tab and look for sessions indicator, click download and it will be available in you indicators list under custom indicators…

1 Like

Thx A1len, I might try that myself.

There are others on there but I’m not sure if it really helps any to be honest, i suppose it depends on what your using it for.

I seldom sleep, help me keep track of sessions and price action cycles and trends long or short. What else is there?

Hi A1len,

Thanks for the download tip. I installed it, and a narrow pink stripe shows on the far right side of my chart. It’s Saturday now, so I’ll see how it develops after market opens.

Norm

Just in case any new readers just tuned in, I’d like to reiterate: “It would sure be nice to be able to drop ANY indicator code or script into a simple software program that would convert it into a usable indicator. MT4’s metaeditor requires a learning curve, and I am trying to save the few functional brain cells I have left :grinning:” - so if any of you can help, that would be great.

Norm

Pay someone - it takes time to learn how to code

What time frame are you using the indicator on ?

Obviously you need it to be smaller than the daily, like 1 hour or less would be ideal.

You’re right! Total oversight on my part. I am trading on the daily.

Well, guess I should stick with Oanda’s sessions clock. Another option would be for me to keep the sessions indicator and drop down to H1 and take a peek, but I think the clock option is really the best: it automatically adjusts to daylight saving and standard times, shows your exact current local time in whatever session is current, and in what part of the sessions it’s in.

Thanks for all your info. Some of it was new to me, and I’ve learned.

Aloha,
Norm