How did you choose the currency pairs that you trade?

did you pick them based on your preference? or on the system that you want to try? or did you just randomly pick and stick with them?

2 Likes

The strategy will tell you which pair to trade by determining what characteristics of price movement etc. it requires. Bearing in mind that some characteristics such as volatility are not constant, the strategy will also tell you when to switch to a better target pair.

7 Likes

For short time frames you should consider spread as important factor. For extreme scalping, I’m using only few pairs with lowest spread.

Backtesting of your strategy should give a whole picture, if the way you trade fits better with certain currencies. It will also depend on your broker (chart time zone) for D1/H4 candles. Classical technical analysis should work similarly on most of pairs (triangles, breakouts, double tops, head and shoulders, general market structure etc.)

4 Likes

I use EURUSD as I like the way it works with DXY and this allows me to pick out opportunities based on my strategy.

4 Likes

I firstly practice is demo account & if I get a consistent result on any trading par, only then I add this trading pair on my live trading chart!

3 Likes

One year of trend trading FX I found AUD/USD, EUR/JPN, USD/JPN as the most profitable. Because they were consistent.

I avoided GBP pairs like the plague.

7 Likes

Hi shooky,

As you can see, all the answers say that it depends. It depends on your strategy, time of trading as well as capital. Since different pairs have different volatility and different volatility affects traders differently; trading gold for example requires a larger capital than trading AUD/USD even though they both sometimes have positive correlation. Another point to note is that different pairs have different pips value, so trading a volatile EUR/CAD is different from trading EUR/USD.

This process of discovery of what works for yourself can be an agony as you will suffer losses that’s beyond your emotional capacity. So trade with money that you can afford to lose. Trading with a demo account is a good idea too, but in my experiences nothing compares to trading real money emotionally.

Since these days, many brokers offer micro or cents accounts, this is feasible so you can get the feeling of making and losing money. Hope that helps.

Handz
MFM Team.

5 Likes

Most often - according to their own knowledge of working with a particular pair. For me, these aspects play a rather important role in the current conditions.

2 Likes

me personally I pick only cross-currencies. why? simply cause i don’t like to be pro- or anti-dollar. with crosses you have more options. another reason why i only pick crosses is they are more trendy than majors, the trends are smoother unlike those spikes at majors. i also think crosses are not so news-related.

usually i check the price action / candlesticks formation on D1 and mark support and resistance. that’s where i got my idea of going short or long. then i check the H1 frame and if the price action and market structure fits my D1-idea, i’ll take the trade sometimes there are 3 or 4 pairs who fits my idea/system, then i just check babypips’s markets milk heat meter or (and) currency strenght for furhter confirmation. and of course i also watch the calender if there are any high-impact reports/news. or and let me give you a tip: try trading “continent” vs “contnent” for example EUR/JPY or EUR/AUD, AUD/JPY

4 Likes

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I love trading forex. Why?

Cuz I get to cheat!

Let me give you an example. I list these six pairs on my watchlist:

EU
AU
GU
UJ
UCad
UChf

Those six pairs are all I trade, mostly. They all have one thing in common: They are all major pairs that trade against the USD. That’s important because, while they have subtle differences between them, they all react similarly toward the USD at any given time.

The first thing I do before entering any trades for the day is start scrolling, scrolling, scrolling through the charts. I am looking for similarities between the pairs that have the USD listed second. Then I look for any glaring differences from those pairs and the ones that have the USD listed first.

For example:

Let’s say you see a decent setup on the AUD/USD going long, but you have some doubts. Take a quick look at the UJ, UCad, and the UChf. If you notice that the dollar is struggling against these pairs, you may feel more at ease about going long AUD/USD. Of course, don’t use this as your main analysis. But once you get a feel for how these pairs correlate and go against each other, you will get a better feel for which pair may be the best one to trade right now.

4 Likes

Did you have an strategy? The pair must fit the criteria on your strategy… Whatever pair you do… If you like an specific pair, commodity, gold, etc MUST fits on!!

2 Likes

Hello :wave: you said extreme scalping,what do you mean by that? And again my another question is that does spreads vary or are constant in pairs that you said have tight spreads? Thank you!:pray:

You’ve taught me something here cheers :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

That’s awesome :clap: let me also try it, I’ve learned something important .be blessed :pray:

1 Like

That’s the beauty of demo or v small account to practice.You can’t beat personal experience really.Tommor system the pairs pick themselves someone else might just focus on maybe 1-3 pairs.Every choice of trade has to be “very deleberate” not decided on a whim

2 Likes

1.overnight interest positive / 0 ,i don’t do negative.
2.current price locate between 25%- 50% of history peak,the trend is easier.

By extreme scalping, I mean closing position right after it turns green. anywhere between 0.5-2 pips in profit.

There are fixed spread accounts, but I would say that most of reliable brokers have variable spread. Beware of brokers with fixed 0.1 pip spread on EURUSD - these are usually not regulated and risky :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for such great piece of advice be blessed

1.Current price level under 50%
2.zero or positive swap

It depends on the trader’s strategy, capital, and the time of trading. Every pair works differently and the volatility varies as well so you need to find out what suits your strategy well.