How do I obtain the values to use in calculating pivot point?

There is no need for these comments,really.
First and foremost,I just saw Clint’s response some minutes ago and I think the reply just came in then.
There is no way I would have seen that and still be asking for more explanations.

Second,many of the things i have learnt,I have learnt on my own by making reference to different research materials,videos and the likes.it’s only if after making efforts to understand through such means and it’s still difficult before I will seek for help on this forum

The TradingView charts are built into the Babypips website.

At the top of this page, click on the tab labeled Rates

Then click on the instrument you want to view. Adjust the time-frame as needed. Get rid of the volume histogram at the bottom of the chart to remove the clutter.

You can get O-H-L-C data for any candle by scrolling over the candle with your cursor, and reading the data on the top line of the chart.

If you want a larger chart (up to the full size of your screen), click the icon in the upper right of the chart (the one that says Open chart in pop-up.)

This is a rudimentary charting package. There’s a lot of stuff it lacks, like Fibonacci, and the ability to draw lines on the chart. I used Snag-It (a screen-capture app) to add the lines, arrows, and text to the chart that I posted.

2 Likes

Mate, Actually there is a great need for comments like this.

Now… i assume that Even after my numerous attempts to make you understand that i was giving advice and trying to help
YOU STILL TOOK IT OFFENSIVELY … is that correct ?

Mate, i can’t control the world, you will think what you will think … ok
all i can do is try to help in the best way i know how, if you take that as offense, that’s your thing to work out , not mine
like i said I DO WISH YOU WELL (now, if that’s not clear enough, I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS )

well i don’t mate, maybe there is a way, or was a way.
this is pretty basic stuff that you are asking , at the end of the day.

that’s awesome
so… may i ask this question then IN THE SPIRIT OF HELPING YOU

why did you ask this question to begin with

i mean… if you just went to the tool tab on this site, you would have seen the calculations
and you would arrive at the tools tab by searching PIVOT POINTS
now after establishing the calculation, you merely need to find the relevant levels, now to do that , all you need to know is how to use the crosshair

i don’t see what’s so hard about that, it’s not like you are a day 1 newbie and you just installed MT-4.
so…I don’t understand…
why did you even ask

now, when you asked,
i tried to help, i tried to understand where you are coming from and i sort of thought to myself… "Nah… he can’t be asking something this simple, it has to be something more that i can’t see"
and then i gave that answer that i gave
then i found that tools page on pivot points and i thought maybe this is what you were after (Which would be a fair call)

but you said, YOU UNDERSTOOD THE CALCULATION MATHEMATICALLY

so… if you are on that level of understanding… how do you not know how to find the levels… i seriously cannot comprehend that
and at the end of the day when clint showed you the picture, i half expected you to tell him that’s not what you are looking for

but you confirmed that this was your answer, which , honestly. made my jaw drop in amazement

and i find myself in a place where

• i don’t want to be rude
    but
  • i cannot believe the simplicity of what happened here

so YOU TELL ME , how do i tell you this without coming across slightly rude

all i can say is… I’M NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE… right

now… if you don’t believe me, i can’t help that
i even wished you all the best.
you didn’t believe me

mate, i personally don’t want to go down to these levels of explanation,
i expect people to have a certain level of basic adaptation , and IF THEY DON’T, then they cannot trade profitably

MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THIS VERY SERIOUSLY (as advice from one who has become profitable)
MAYBE YOU REALLY SHOULD CONSIDER QUITTING FOREX AND TRADING

i know the idea of become financially free is appealing,
but mate, seriously , all BS Aside

i highly doubt you’ll get there, i’m being honest… ok

i respect and understand what you have said here, but i really do not see you becoming profitable
now… feel free to prove me wrong and come back in 2 years and rub it in my face… I WOULD LOVE THAT
i just don’t see it happening.

again

i wish you all the best… and I MEAN IT.

I didn’t take offence at what you said but I don’t know how to put this across so u will get me well.
I have never used the OHLC values for any thing before now and i thought it was those who make use of bar charts that make use of that.but I am aware the each candle has these values.so my main confusion before the clarification was how to obtain these values from the series of candles that form within a session as each candle has it’s own OHLC value.

I know how to calculate it cos I know the feature of pivot point calculator is on babypips and my knowledge came from what i learnt on my own.but before now i did not know how to obtain the OHLC for a time session frame.

I don’t need to prove anything to you actually but different people learn in different ways and even though you’re very intelligent,you may understand some complex things but some things that are simpler,you may not fully grasp.and there is nothing wrong with asking if you are stuck.I ask because I want to learn and improve and I won’t jsut bring it to this forum without first making several efforts on my own to know it

Alright.thanks a lot for all the explanations.I really appreciate and i am very grateful.

You’re welcome.

As I said way back in post #6, keep asking questions – that’s how you learn.

1 Like

well, that’s good, because it sounded like you did,
i would rather you didn’t, so… good.

of course you don’t, and i’m not asking you to.

exactly right, and i completely understand this because i have taught people many different subjects, like Electrical and Electronics engineering, Computing, Solving a rubiks cube, playing guitar, how to plan and organise functions. how to make coffee professionally, and the list goes on… you get it… I’ve been a teacher many times in many subject and i understand how people learn differently.

i completely understand this as well , and thank you for the compliment,
but that aside
even though i understand this, at times there are levels that i don’t want to go down to

so even though this is correct

and this is good

it also becomes a question of CAN YOU LEARN, CAN YOU GRASP IT
because NOT EVERYONE HAS THE CAPACITY TO GRASP CERTAIN SUBJECTS

that’s just a simple fact

i once taught a person a long time ago… WHAT IS AN INTERVAL on a guitar

the answer is AN INTERVAL IS THE DISTANCE BETWEEN ANY TWO NOTES

it’s simple
you play a note on any fret
you play another note anywhere on the guitar
you measure the interval distance between the 2 notes

most people pick this up in 5mins

this one student wanted to learn guitar because it was cool and she loved it and always wanted to do it
IT TOOK HER 2 WEEKS
SHE STILL COULDN’T UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT

we moved to scales… she didn’t get it
we tried chords, she didn’t get it

in guitar playing , if you don’t understand what an interval is , how scales work and how they make chords.
you may as well not play guitar.
and this girl asked me to teach her to read music and play as a technical guitarist , so … not just learning to play a song, but to understand music theory.

sometimes people can really really want to do something , but they are just not suited to it

same thing happened here in my opinion
i would ask you to consider this, because this forex journey is one that is absolutely grueling and if you are not going to get it anyway… why not invest time into something that will be more worthwhile

there are many ways to make a million dollars mate, forex is not the only way
just consider what i’ve said… ok

Lexy, you’ve posted FXCM’s indie for PP back a few months ago and as Martin has suggested there are many to download for MT4/5

I figure you know the thinking re PP, how the old traders just folded the EOD trading card over, the line gave them the PP for for the next day.

Then along came the tech age and reuters pagers, the UK guys already knew the US close, the pager gave them the hi/low of Asia whilst en route to the office - first call was the mid point to buy/sell (i.e. the PP of the now almost defunct cards).

All history and meaningless - or is it?

I understand ur analogy and your point.I am not going into forex just cos of the money but because of the interest I have in it.just like I have tried explaining,you didn’t understand what I was trying to say.but Clint did and he answered and i don’t have problems with this topic again.just like I have said,several other times u have asked questions,you have helped me out. and I wont be asking here if I have not tried to find out first on my own.

2 Likes

Yes,you are very right. thanks for the advice and all.

Not at all.i didn’t know how to obtain the OHLC values for a time frame session, that is all. but the chart @Clint replied with answered it all.

One more question please.if i want to trade within the New York time session using the APAC session analysis as you explained, i am right in saying that the open time i will make use of is 12pm GMT of the current day and the close time will be 9pm GMT of the previous day?

Think carefully about what you are proposing to do.

The APAC Session ends and the London Session begins at 8 am GMT. The guidance provided by the APAC Session pivots was factored into the forex market during the London morning session, and is pretty much obsolete by the time the New York Session begins at 1 pm GMT.

The London Session is the 600-pound gorilla of forex trading sessions. More than any other session, London drives the forex market. And the peak intensity in forex trading typically occurs in the second half of the London Session, after the New York Session has opened, and the two sessions are overlapping (and reinforcing) each other.

During this peak period (the first 4 hours of the New York Session, which you now want to trade), the guidance which you should be seeking from a previous trading session is guidance from the London morning session, not from the previous night’s APAC Session.

By the time the New York Session begins at 1 pm GMT, whatever happened the night before in Asia has already been digested by the market (during the early London Session). At this point, the prevailing tone and direction of the market has been set by London, not by APAC.

Consider calculating pivots for the London Morning Session, and applying those pivots to the London / New York Overlap Session. That is, calculate pivots for the 5-hour period from 7 am GMT to 12 pm GMT. Then, apply those pivots to the 5-hour period from 12 pm GMT to 5 pm GMT.

Note that the two 5-hour periods suggested above begin one hour before the generally accepted start time of the London and New York Sessions. That is, you will be calculating pivots starting at 7 am GMT (one hour prior to the usual “opening” time of the London Session). And you will be applying those pivots to the early New York Session, starting at 12 pm GMT (one hour before the usual “opening” of the New York Session).

Note also that this suggested trading pattern concentrates your trading in the New York morning session, and ignores the New York afternoon session altogether.

4 Likes

Great answer, Clint :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Eddie.

Alright.I have gone through what you explained.I want to be sure I got you well please.am I right by saying that from the above,7am GMT will be the close time and 12pm GMT will be the open time,then I will obtain the values for high and low within this time frame and use it to trade the morning hours of the New York session?

[quote=“Lexzykool317, post:36, topic:137419, full:true”]

… am I right by saying that from the above,7am GMT will be the close time and 12pm GMT will be the open time …[/quote]

I hope that’s a typo on your part, and not evidence of a misunderstanding.

The 5-hour period you are using to establish your pivots OPENS at 7 am GMT, and CLOSES at 12 pm GMT.

Specifically, you will identify the 7 am one-hour candle, which opens at 7 am and closes at 8 am, and you will get the OPEN from that candle.

Then you will identify the 11 am one-hour candle, which opens at 11 am and closes at 12 pm, and you will get the CLOSE from that candle.

Exactly right.

[quote=“Clint, post:37, topic:137419”]
I hope that’s a typo on your part, and not evidence of a misunderstanding.
[/quote
That was a mistake,actually.

Thanks a lot once more for all the explanations.

You’re welcome.

Please let it not be as if I am trying to drag this topic but this just crossed my mind now.there are times i place trades during the late hours of the New York Session I.e. after the New York and London session overlap.so what time frame will be advisable to use to obtain the values of open and close for this session?