How do I obtain the values to use in calculating pivot point?

I have a somewhat different view of trading sessions than most other traders. In my view, volatility and volume dictate 4 distinct daily “sessions”, illustrated by the following graphic –

If you look at the line showing London times, you will recognize the times suggested in my previous post.

Using this pattern of “trading sessions”, it’s clear that pivots derived from the London Morning Session would be projected into the London / New York Overlap Session, just as described in my previous post.

And then, in similar fashion, pivots derived from the Overlap Session would be projected into the New York Afternoon Session. So, that’s one way to go about it.

Another way would be simply to use the London Morning Session pivots for all of the New York Session (from 12 pm GMT to 10 pm GMT).

If you’re up for a challenge, do it both ways, and see whether there’s a significant advantage to one or the other.

Note that this graphic applies to northern hemisphere winter (September - March). After the daylight saving time shifts in March and April, a slightly different graphic will apply.

You probably know this, but in case you don’t, you can click on the graphic to enlarge it (otherwise, it’s pretty hard to read).

If you want to read how I came to view trading sessions this way, here’s a thread from last April –

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Clint for all the explanations and diagrams. I have also gone through the thread you referred to. They have all been very helpful. I am very grateful.

2 Likes