How do i run several platforms from the same broker at the same time?

Hello everyone,
pls i need help as to how to open several platforms of MT4 on my system without the computer prompting me to say;‘another instance of MT4 is running’. I need to do this because i want to trade 2 or more accounts with the same broker and with all platforms running at the same time. Thanks for your anticipated response.

David

install metatrader twice change the name the 2nd time to something else.

regards

N

n_aftab:

That’s a very interesting ‘workaround’!!! Well done!!! (I’ve not tried it YET though).

‘Just for fun’, however, I tried to run multiple instances of MT4 (without your ‘workaround’). Oddly enough: I can open as many instances of IBFX’s MT4 as I like but I can open only ONE instance of FXDD’s MT4 (all demo accounts for testing and comparison purposes).

There is another way of accomplishing this (although it’s not quite as ‘elegant’ a solution as the one posted by n_aftab): create multiple Windows user accounts and then simply ‘switch’ users.

Regards,

Dale.

if you use mt4 from different brokers you would have to install it in different directories on your c drive I would think. Even if you wanted more than one instance of mt4 from the same broker also? When you close mt4 it saves what ever charts and settings you had when it was open. so you would need to have two different installs to be able to save the settings of two different mt4 sessions.

May I add that you might have to go to the folder where you installed it and send a shortcut of the terminal.exe to your desktop.

Hey, Mike

I’m not sure I understand your statement about multiple MT4 installs.

I have installed MT4 from three brokers, without giving any thought to where they would install — I just take the Install Wizard’s recommendation as to where to park the thing.

After reading your post, I pulled up C:\Program Files to see where these folders are. Here’s a partial screen shot of that page:

They all seem to be neatly arranged in alphabetical order in the same file.

Does this match what you were saying in your post?

Hey, jado

I did the shortcut thing when I downloaded and installed each of these MT4 platforms.

I don’t think you HAVE to do that, but it sure saves time and bother when you want to open a particular platform.

Clint

I was just thinking if you had more than one from the same broker. Like I’m using IBFX but if I wanted to have more than one mt4 open from IBFX then maybe would need to install it in a different directory? If you have mt4 from different brokers then they would install in different directories anyway.

when you have the same broker and you want to use the same platform you need to install multiple instants of MT4 just need to change the root folder name. in your case you have different brokers and the root folder name is already different that why it didn’t cause you any issues.

Clint and Mike, what do you guys thing about Mt4 FAQ/ tutorial, lets start one and move all mt4 related Questions to it so we don’t have to answer them over and over! I don’t want to do it on my own.
actually I have a thread for that but didn’t go through with it, maybe we can move all the Mt4 Q to the thread and give complete tutorial that can be archived for the future.
http://forums.babypips.com/bugs-suggestions/25030-mt4-faq.html
Jado

btwy any one having trouble with the signature not showing?

Signature feature is not enabled on this forum.