How do news events and economic indicators affect the price movements in financial markets?

How do news events and economic indicators affect the price movements in financial markets? Share your experiences and insights on which specific events or indicators have the most significant influence on price action. Let’s discuss the relationship between news, data, and price movements.

In volatile market times, fundamentals are key.

I trade Spot FX, and news like the CPI and Interest Rates has had the biggest influence my experience so far.

it’s the one area in which i know i can’t possibly ever compete with the people whose trades move markets, because they have research departments, skills, facilities and information i can never possibly acquire

so i try to have as little to do with it as i can

decades of experience have taught me that (for me, as an independent trader) “trading the news” is a fool’s errand, in the long run

it’s very, very easy to guess the overall direction correctly and still face a huge loss, because of the risk of spikes in both directions

the only thing i pay attention to is “red news” listed as scheduled in economic calendars (like the Babypips one): i never have or leave a trade open close to those times

other than that, i don’t let it affect me at all: doing so is too much work for too little reward

How is this possible?

there are quite often spikes in both directions, all in a few seconds, which can take out your stop-loss in one direction, then hit another trade and take out that one’s stop-loss, too - it’s fraught with danger, however you do it, it seems to me

let me put it this way: all the people i’ve known, in all the decades i’ve been trading, who have been into “trading the news” (and i’m talking about professional traders here, not amateurs) have eventually had some disaster with it and given it up as a bad job

my feeling about it (i know plenty will disagree with me) is that although it’s really easy to have a good run with it, and it looks really attractive and promising when you do … eventually there’s an accident, and they can cost a lot more than you expect when your stop-loss doesn’t work!!

i think the important point for people to understand about it is that these are the exact times when a stop-loss might not be honoured, simply because the broker can’t honour it because of the frenetic price-movements, and therefore if you do it for long enough, you’re eventually going to have a real disaster where your stop-loss doesn’t work and you lose far, far more than you ever imagined possible

it’s not for me, anyway

the exception, of course, would be if you trade with guaranteed stop-losses (which some brokers do offer), and that would regulate your risk - but that’s also not for me, because they work out much too expensive in the long run: you have to pay very big spreads to use guaranteed stops

so i decided long ago to give the whole thing a miss

i wish good luck to anyone who wants to try it, but it’s a very tricky and deceptive business, and one in which i think the odds are really stacked against you

(besides which, as the saying goes “who needs it?!”)

2 Likes

i dont care about news a lot
i have a telegram channel they say when there is a very important news and i dont trade on that time
i prefer working with the market not by news but you can have your idea and i will respect it

Ok I will take this into action. thanks
I sticked to the technical analysis I should be hybrid. :)))

Thanks for mentioning your experience I think you are as smart as your profile photo.(Einstein) :crazy_face:

How you don’t care about news?
The news has a great impact on trades??
Don’t rely on telegram or YouTube channels.

Who exactly do you mean?
Whales?
The person who I really believe and trust when mention the sources is you.
Thanks

1 Like

Its possible the most dramatic ever forex fundamental event was the SNB’s change of policy on supporting the CHF in 2015. A long-term trend-follower who was short would have had the trade of a lifetime.

1 Like

i meant more or less “institutional traders”

i’m probably using the expression a bit loosely, because i was thinking of small-to-medium hedge funds, too - they can also have research departments, but you wouldn’t necessarily call them “institutional”, really?

i was only giving my own opinion, that “trading the news” is something i’ll never do, and that i try to avoid “fundamentals” as much as i possibly can, because it isn’t generally productive or helpful for me

Oh, my! Did you have any open trades on CHF? I’m curious to know how they turned out.

Got it! When we talk about “institutional traders,” it can be a bit flexible in its meaning m aybe banks and firms.

News events and economic indicators can seriously shake up financial markets. Stuff like central bank announcements, GDP growth, or employment data can make prices go crazy.

of course well said my friend.
do you trade on news?

Actually I was quite new in Forex trading then and I had a small long open, expecting price to stop falling as it had reached the SNB’s floor and start ranging.

The broker closed the position at my stop-loss in the usual way.

My rules since then are to trade what you see, not what you think, and usually be following the trend.

It seems like you had a valuable learning experience in Forex trading.
Trading based on what you see rather than what you think is a wise approach. Additionally, following the trend can often be a beneficial strategy.