How do the fractals work?

I’ve been looking into fractal indicator and it predicts tops and bottoms quite accurately but i have no clue on wow fractals work.

Btw does a 5 period fractal looks back 5 candles?

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/38753-fractals.html

A Trader’s Guide To Using Fractals

some people are so lazy

On an uptrend, its 2 lesser highs on both sides of the fractal bar. On a downtrend, if i am saying this right its the inverse of that.

edit - you can also have 3 bar fractals which is basically the same only one on each side of the fractal bar. I believe MT4 considers 3 bar fractals when it identifies one.

No offense but it ‘pains’ me to be answering on a thread where it’s obvious that the thread starter hasn’t bothered to use the ‘Search’ function before posting a question and I’ll tell you: you’d should be grateful that you’ve received the responses that you have thus far.

But let me tell you this much: the day YOU find an indicator that ‘predicts’ tops and bottoms you let me know!!! Fractals don’t ‘predict’ tops and bottom at all. They simply denote a change in market direction AFTER THE FACT and MAY denote support and resistance levels but they’re by NO means a ‘Holy Grail’ indicator given that they can be traded one of two ways i.e. either as a ‘Fractal Breakout’ (where price in the future moves above or below the previously VALID and FORMED Fractal) or the other method is to trade OPPOSING the Fractal (normally after the close of the Fractal, which is NORMALLY a five-bar formation but there are other variations just by the way). But no: they most certainly don’t ‘predict’ tops and bottoms. That type of indicator has yet to be ‘invented’ I’m afraid to say (and my guess is that the person that DOES ‘invent’ such an indicator, assuming it was at all possible, would most definitely keep it to themselves)!!!

And by the way: MT4 Fractals are generated by FIVE bars i.e. two higher lows or lower highs on either side of the (middle) Fractal signal bar and, what’s more, that (middle) Fractal is NOT a Fractal until the last bar in the series of FIVE bars HAS CLOSED. In other words: a Fractal may appear BEFORE the last bar in the series of FIVE has HAS CLOSED but, if this last bar in the series of FIVE bars just happens to make a higher high or lower low than the previous bar in the series of FIVE bars then the Fractal will dissapear (and it will no longer be a valid Fractal signal).

Regards,

Dale.

Edit:

Sorry: the above is a bit ‘harsh’ and yes we’re all here to help and assist but I know that I MYSELF have, in the past week or two, posted on this very subject at LEAST twice, and this thread just caught me on a ‘bad day’ i.e. I’m so fuc*ing sick and tired of all of these public holidays I want to vomit!!! Only THIS MORNING do I NOW find out that NOT ONLY is it ANOTHER public holiday HERE on Monday but it’s YET ANOTHER public holiday on Monday in the UK, (not to MENTION today), China, France, Switzerland, and Italy so only next TUESDAY (with the exception of JAPAN of course) do we have a NORMAL but shortened trading week!!! So my apologies: I’m a bit ‘testy’ today.

1 Like

Right on, I could have sworn I was seeing three bar fractals… who knows, might of been a jacked up version of mt4.

Hello,

MT4’s ‘standard’ or ‘default’ Fractal Indicator uses five bars to draw / indicate a Fractal. As noted on those other threads though these are what are known as ‘Pristine Fractals’ but there are other variations (although for the purposes of this and those other threads I believe them to be only ‘overcomplications’ really and MT’s ‘standard’ or ‘default’ Fractal Indicator is not coded to recognise the other formations and, come to think of it, I’ve never come across a trading platform or charting software that IS capable of recognising the other formations). There are trading platforms or charting software that allow you determine how many bars to use e.g. 3, 5, 7 (it will obviously always be an odd number) to indicate a ‘Pristine Fractal’. I myself (well Wilder’s Swing Index System anyway) use three bars to determine a HIP or a LOP i.e. high point or low point which, really, is nothing more than what COULD be called a 3-Bar Fractal.

Regards,

Dale.

all good Dale, when i look at a fractal, i just look at 5 anyway. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

fi

This might come as a surprise to you, but for working people with REAL jobs (meaning, most of us, who are out there, having to perform ‘system generated’, machine-like tasks, day in and day out), these ‘public holidays’, that seem to annoy the life out of you, are the only times we can do things we really like to do - together with the few weeks a year that we’re legally allowed to break free from the rat race too. Try to look further than your own little live now and then, please.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hey can we work together?

Fractal indicators can help you to identify potential price reversals in financial markets. This pattern is based on geometric patterns known as fractals. I recommend you check these articles for further explanations:

https://insights.primecodex.com/fractal-indicator/

Fractals are a concept in mathematics and art, but they are also used in scientific applications, including computer modeling of natural structures and analysis of market trends in trading.

In mathematics, a fractal is a geometric shape that can be split into parts, each of which is a reduced-scale copy of the whole. They are self-similar and independent of scale. Fractals can be incredibly complex, despite being formed with relatively simple equations.

In trading, a fractal is a tool used in technical analysis that leverages the concept of a “repeated pattern.” Specifically, it’s a recurring pattern that predicts reversals in a Japanese candlestick price chart. Bill Williams, a trader and author, introduced the concept to the world of trading.

Fractals in trading are not exactly the same as mathematical fractals. In trading, they represent a pattern that can be isolated and can potentially be repeated, used as an indicator.

A fractal forms when a particular price pattern happens on a chart. The pattern itself comprises five candles or more:

1. A bearish turning point occurs when there is a pattern with the highest high in the middle and two lower highs on each side.
  2. A bullish turning point occurs when there is a pattern with the lowest low in the middle and two higher lows on each side.

These patterns provide insight into potential reversals on the market. They are typically used in conjunction with other indicators or forms of technical analysis to increase the odds of a successful trade.

However, while they can be quite helpful, like all trading tools, they are not foolproof and can sometimes give false signals. So, it’s recommended to use them as part of a larger trading strategy, not as a standalone indicator.

Thanks brother, I also want to know about it. Do they work well for scalpers?