How do you overcome fear of losing?

Hey guys.
Controlling emotions for sure is one of the most important thing in trading and fear is one of them.
Also, losing in this market is normal and frequent but the fear of it is also the same.
So, how do you overcome your fear?

1 Like

Use an amount you are comfortable with, if you fear losing it may indicate that the amount you are trading with is too large perhaps

2 Likes

Accepting the uncertainties beforehand

4 Likes

Hi, I use expert advisors in trading.

Take a hard look at your strategy. Its easy to calculate how many consecutive losing trades it would take to eliminate 50% of your account capital. This gives you a “half-life” figure.

If your % loss per loser is 1%, it would take 69 losing trades before you had lost half your account. Your strategy’s “half-life” is 69 trades.
If your % loss per loser is 10%, it would only take 7 losing trades to cost you half your money. That strategy’s half-life would be only 7 trades.

This is a starting point.

3 Likes

To overcome the fear of losing in forex trading, develop a trading plan, practice discipline, manage risk, accept that losses are part of trading, and learn from your mistakes. These tips can help you stay focused, disciplined, and increase your chances of success in forex trading. Remember, every trader experiences losses, but with the right mindset and approach, you can potentially turn losses into opportunities for growth and improvement.

4 Likes

It will come with time.

You probably have to do what me (and possibly most people do) and overtrade, overleverage, impulse and revenge trade your way through some small accounts before it clicks.

It’s not a race. Unless you have a very large account or your funded, you won’t make life changing money every single trade you win.

You need to settle on an amount or percentage of your account that does not set your heart pounding in fear and loss when you open the trade, and you should be at peace with losing that trade.

Your goal is not to make money. Your goal is to follow a process. Profiting is a side effect.

So, you say that fear is coming from the money one engage in trading?
I think it’s more than that.

What do you mean by that? I like to hear more. :nerd_face:

Wow! That was helpful. Thank you :+1:

@Hypnomenace
Although I argued with a lot of people who disagree with what you’re saying but I myself totally agree. A good process will bring good side effects.

1 Like

Trading modestly, trading automatically, and being unaware of the market are the most effective ways to overcome fear of loss in trading. Trading is all about making excellent decisions, and the less likely you are to make behavioral mistakes, the better your performance will be.

It is a fact that if you are not used to dealing with large amounts, your heart starts to beat faster and your thoughts can panic, etc.

My way into the forex world comes from Sports trading and it was ok to go from 10 usd to 100 usd and from 100 usd to 1000 usd. and from 1000 to 10,000 usd then it started to feel different in my body and the reason was my stakes i did trade with, you can say I was unconsciously afraid of losing that money as I wasn’t used to having so much money invested and the body reacts to that and I constantly checked the screen etc.

At some point this becomes a normal feeling in the body and we sleep well at night again :blush:

By saying “Accepting the uncertainties beforehand”, i mean accepting whatever outcomes comes after.

2 Likes

I don’t harbor greed and emotion in me that help me highly in maintaining me profit on average. Initially I used to over-trade but I don’t do so now.

1 Like

Hey Charlotte,

Below I found best to keep fear levels low:

1. Backtest your strategy(!) for at least a 100 times on replay mode in (i.e.) tradingview, this will give you confidence in your strategy. If results are not satisfactory, then optimize until you have the right backtested results.
  2. Use a starting capital that you’re willing to lose
  3. Risk only 1% of your capital per trade and do not have more than 3 trades open at the same time

Execute your trades according the plan and review your winning ratio and results after 3 months, not on a trade to trade basis.

Once again, use a small account and don’t risk more than 1%. Personally it took me a lot of time to execute my backtested strategy in a succesful way in daily life as emotions come into play.

Good luck!

Br, Peter

I think the real question here would be how do you do that? Is it something you were born with or you kinda attained that?

Stay with the market for a long time, and the fear will disappear itself. So, don’t worry.

Good question! But how will fear affect price movement? You can be afraid when opening a trade or you can be absolutely relaxed and confident, the outcome will be the same since market doesn’t care about your feelings.

An easy way could be to just set you stop loss and forget and move on with your day. There’s no reason to feel fear when you exactly know that your stop loss will protect you :relaxed:

Happy trading and always think about your exits BEFORE you enter market

i think if you have good and fixed strategy you do not have to control your fear
in my mind everything a trader must do is to avoid greed
i did it a lot and right now i do not trade so much i am about to make my self better

That’s a good one! If you are confident enough to open a trade, why should you fear?

With all respect to you dear Mitchel, I think that won’t happen. It is like you say someone who has mental problems (such as a scruple person) to live his life and the problem will be fixed!
I guess you have to spend time on all aspects that might affect your trading!
Best Luck/

2 Likes