How Do You Personally Deal With Being Wrong in Your Trades?

Ever notice how being wrong feels… uncomfortable?

I mean, no one really likes admitting they got it wrong, especially in trading, where every decision can feel like a test of your skill. You analyze the charts, build your bias, execute your plan… and then the market does the exact opposite.

Yeah. That stings.

But here’s something to think about: what if being wrong isn’t actually the problem?

You see, a lot of traders come into the game thinking they need to be right most of the time to be profitable. And when they’re not, it messes with their confidence. They hesitate on the next trade, second-guess their setups, or worse… refuse to cut a losing position because they need to be right.

The reality is, trading isn’t about always being right. In fact, many consistently profitable traders are wrong more often than you’d expect. The difference is, they’ve learned how to be comfortable with it.

Because at the end of the day, being wrong is inevitable… so, my friends, how do you handle it when it happens?

2 Likes

I’m never wrong.
But often the market does one of the four or five or six less probable things, when I really wanted it to do the one most probable thing.

6 Likes

Being wrong is normal in trading. What really matters is not losing or the losing streak itself, but how you respond to it.

Getting through a drawdown and still having the confidence to execute the next trade according to your plan is the hard part. It’s not easy to keep trusting your system when recent results are against you.

Staying consistent through that phase is what separates survival from quitting.

2 Likes

Yeah - losing is just part of the game, it’s nothing personal the market doesn’t know you. Horses don’t get beat to piss you off :rofl:

3 Likes

If you are wrong, it can help you learn and develop a home run trading strategy by eliminating the losing set-ups; you may only execute 1-3 trades weekly, and if your account is big enough, it can support your way of life.

It’s not a matter of being wrong or right but how much you lose when you are wrong and how much you win when you are right. In other words you need a positive expectancy ratio to beat the market.

2 Likes

If you need to “deal” with that, an you haven’t accepted that it’s completely normal and expected to be wrong, then you are doing it all wrong

2 Likes

I wish I had your super power! I just have to deal with the losses. Part of it all. Still sucks when it happens, especially when the trade works out after.

I deal with being wrong by treating it like an insurance premium. I pay a small amount my Stop Loss for the coverage of being in the market. As long as I keep my losses small and my winners large, I don’t need to be right to be profitable. It’s all about the math, not the ego.
Does that approach resonate with your current trading style, or are you finding the emotional side harder to manage than the technical side right now?

Oh yes - I know that feeling. :rofl:

I learned that I can make mistakes 6 times in a row, but one profitable trade covers all my previous losses. That’s how I built my strategy. I learned to be comfortable with being wrong on markets. We literally compete versus millions of other traders around the world. And just imagine how many of them are very smart, so the fact that you’re staying on afloat in markets says a lot about your consistency.

I’m never wrong.

The system has 70% wins, 30% losses, according to backtesting (let’s say). So what if I have 2 or 3 bad trades in a row? It’s normal, and even expected.

If I start to lose trust in the system, I backtest it in even harsher conditions, and see if it still holds up. It usually does.

3 Likes

Of course, I only use my super-powers for good. And for making money.

2 Likes

Bit of tautology, there: making money is good. :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t like it, but I know the market doesn’t have a memory and my last trade has no bearing on my next trade.

When I lose, I prefer being flat out wrong so I can adjust my thesis. I have a harder time with being right but losing a trade because I was too early. That can make me question correct analysis and lead to additional losses if I change my bias instead of changing my timing.

1 Like

The market has no memory, so leave your ego at the door a loss is just data, not a personal failure.
Being right but early is an execution error, not an analytical one fix your timing, not your bias.
Protect your mental capital by treating every trade as an isolated event don’t let a stop out turn a winning thesis into a revenge trade.

Why do you think support so often becomes resistance, and vice-versa, then? Price movements are determined collectively by market particants, and they actually tend, collectively, to have rather a good memory. :wink:

I believe that statement was made in the context that the market has no memory of a trader’s previous wins or losses.

4 Likes

once you start seeing it as probabilities, not being right every time, it gets way easier to just cut it and move on. still sucks in the moment tho :sweat_smile:sticking to the plan… if the reason for the trade gone, i’m out. no arguing with the market