How does the concept of "smart money" play a role in determining market direction and volatility in the Forex market?

The idea of “smart money” refers to big-shot investors who are believed to have inside information and top-notch resources. Their moves in the forex market can give us an idea of changes in how people feel about the market, which can cause the market to become volatile. So, we traders pay attention to what these “smart money” people are doing to get a better sense of what might happen in the future and make smart investment choices.

1 Like

Smart money is a term from back in the day - it’s opposite number was street or dumb money, however the market has changed with the increase use of algos in the relatively newish FX market.

Guy that I know works for a smart money firm in the US - he mentioned that he and his wife are not permitted to trade on their own account - with one exception.

They can trade freely in FX

1 Like

That’s interesting. Is that because it’s more difficult to move the fx market?

I’d say it’s because is there is no central body - the concept of ‘inside trading’ i.e. having inside knowledge in fx would be vague - except if a trader had contacts within a CB I suppose.

1 Like

Last time I checked Fundednext was a prop firm. Funny enough this thread was started by Fundenext which leads me to believe this person is affiliated with said prop firm.
So what could be the motive for them to make such a post on this forum?
Not too long ago I asked a question (twice) on one of their (places) and to date none have been published. The reason was because the questions I asked were in regard to some negative statements made by others that I wanted confirmation about before I tried their challenge. When something like a prop firm publishes ONLY positive comments about themselves I see red flags.

I forget who it was. It was listed as one of the biggest forex trades in history. The trader shorted THB right before it got rated.

Sure enough, it got down rated, and he profited a ton. I suppose he had an ¨in¨ with the rating agency.

2 Likes

Aye - possible - then again maybe that trader had his finger on the pulse.

Credit rating has as it’s first focus - how much do you owe?

Well even that old cliché is becoming blurred post covid - changing times and changing concepts - key is how we keep up.

Might not be the same trade but the graphics are good :slight_smile:
Bank shares fall as debt fears prompt downgrades (bangkokpost.com)

1 Like

Goate - I’d say you are not far wrong.

When you see guys post about “smart” and following etc it’s often marketing.

The only thing smart in the market are guys who take the time to learn to be smart.

There is another word oft times used - secret - same thing.

3 Likes

There’s nothing real in the market called smart money.

There is only Supply and Demand. You just need to Focus on this. Look at the charts everyday. Try to Guess where is Supply… Where is Demand… if they are close to each other dont trade. If they are far away… trade

2 Likes