How effective is using stop loss?

So are we to believe that all "serious" traders never sleep at all, they just stare at their screens with one eye and read the news non-stop with the other and never use stops because they have low leverage???

This is not only fiction it is very dangerous fiction to inexperienced traders.

1 Like

But keeping eyes on the screen all the time is practically not good. It is time consuming and stressful. That is why they invented SL. LOL haha :stuck_out_tongue:

yea use stop loss in case you wan to…

Whether a beginner or an experienced trader, stop-loss as per me is a great strategy. I’m actually not a risk taker and love my money a lot. So, I make sure to put the stop-loss each time before the market moves in the opposite direction and I end up losing.

Stop loss prevents the of risk blowing your account up with losses when the price trend goes the unexpected way so it is essential to set a stop loss while trading

very effective, it stops unncessary losses

if you can figure out a way to succeed without using protective orders. you have mastered trading

Thanks, more of ur advice.

Effectively depending on how you use it. Stop Loss is done in order to set the limit from over losing the money.

Try not using one and you’ll find out.
No matter if you are a novice trader or a professional trader, stop loss is important for everyone. Without it you will only blow your account.

I would never trading without SL and think it would be reckless to do so. I’m sure some traders do and maybe get lucky a time or two.

As long as you trade “single trade” strategy Stop Loss is almost a must.
With potentially exception for scalping, where you may want to exit manually, but have some wide stop just in case some extreme volatility.

There is a whole universe of strategies, which actually may not work with stop loss - basket trading, grid trading etc. - strategies which include multitrade positions and hedging. There are also automated strategies which close trades only on opposite signal - these also obviously come without a SL.

1 Like

There are some lessons that you appreciate better if there is a practical element to it. When your parents tell you not to put a hairpin into the electrical socket and you do it when they are not looking you are likely to understand then and there what they were telling you. Try trading without a stoploss and come back here and tell us how it went. I believe you will have answered your own question and learned a valuable lesson in the meantime.

Stop loss is effective in stopping you from making uncontrollable loss. If you won’t limit your loss you will lose way more than you can afford and it will certainly wipe your account in no time.

Yes of course it does.

Well, it can totally depend as sometimes your stop loss can get slipped (if there is high impact news for example during that time), but in most circumstances it does.

You should use stop losses in conjunction with your risk management plan.

the truth have been spoken ,cheers man

see ?this is why i love this forum,every concept is not challengeable .

the same goes to holy grail,yes its really exist ,but do you have what is takes to identify it from?

I must agree…whatever floats your boats.

Abdul
MFM Team

You wont get stopped out only to see the trade actually go in the direction you had predicted. Different things work for different people.
There are places where people prefer not to use seatbelts.

If you keep getting stopped out early, only to find price went in your preferred direction later, the stop is being set in the wrong position for the market and conditions being traded. Its not the stop-loss that’s the problem, its the trader.

Similarly if you’re in a situation where its better not to use a seat-belt, you’re driving in the wrong place and in the wrong way before you even started the engine. Again, its not the seat-belt that’s the problem, its the driver.