How effective is using stop loss?

And you dont think the size of one’s account balance could be a factor? Like I said boss man different strokes for different folks.
And no one said anything about it being better to go without seatbelts. I said people opt not to use them. Dishonest reasoning on your part.

No, account size is not the issue. If a small account means that a stop has to be badly placed or not placed at all, the strategy is faulty. A large percentage loss on a trade is a fault, no matter whether that means £5 or £5,000.

The point about seat-belts - yes, some people are too stupid to wear them.

I get all you are saying.
So am I right in saying that from what you have said here it is your opinion that people who trade without stop losses are stupid then? Despite it being a strategy they have developed and is actually producing the desired results for them?

No. I am sure there are strategies for which a stop-loss would be damaging while at the same time there is no significant increase in risk. I’ve already admitted above that I don’t know what such a strategy would be but maybe somebody can post up a strategy for which it is essential not to use a stop but which is consistently profitable nevertheless.

But there is no driving situation in which not wearing a seat-belt is better.