How I trade stock indices

Above is the SP500 on the 4-hour time-frame, with Heiken Ashi Smoothed price bars and my ratio indicator applied.

Buy signal:
(1) Ratio crosses-down while Heiken Ashi Smoothed is blue, or
(2) Heiken Ashi Smoothed turns blue while ratio already crossed-down.

Sell signal:
(1) Ratio crosses-up while Heiken Ashi Smoothed is red, or
(2) Heiken Ashi Smoothed turns red while ratio already crossed-up.

Very clean. Very simple. Easy to know which way to trade next!

Managing Trades and Money

Logical entry and modified stop-loss points, as well as add-position opportunities, can occur over the duration of a price trend.

All the risk is in the Entry stop-loss, but this is significantly reduced at Modify 1.

On the next red Heiken Ashi Smoothed price bar, I modify the stop-loss and add a sell trade (Add sell 1). Both initial trade and Add sell 1 have the same stop-loss.

At the next red Heiken Ashi Smoothed price bar I do it over again. Modify 2 and Add sell 2.

Modify 2 locks-in open profit between entry price and stop-loss price on all existing open trades. Risk on acc. balance is now zero, but open profit is guaranteed by the stop-loss.

At the next red Heiken Ashi Smoothed price bar I do it over again. Modify 3 and Add sell 3. Look at the amount of locked open profit between the First entry and Modify 3.

So, even though Add sell 3 results in a loss when it triggers the SL, this is very easily absorbed by locked open profit across the first and second trades. Move on.

In a nutshell, that’s it!

Gaz.

Potential Set-Up : Downside Trend Reversal

Here’s the SP500 at 1pm Melbourne, Australia time today. Is this the beginning of a downside trend reversal, or will the current uptrend continue?

I’ve set the latest resistance level, so that in the event of a downside reversal I know where to set my entry stop-loss, and can calculate lot size. If the existing uptrend continues, resistance is removed and support will be plotted, again to set a potential entry stop-loss and calculate lots.

I will post updates as things develop.

Gaz

Potential Set-Up : Downside Trend Reversal Update (10:55 pm Melbourne, Australia)

Nothing to do right now. Watching.

Potential Set-Up : Downside Trend Reversal Update (10:15 am Melbourne, Australia)

Ratio Oscillator remains crossed-down, suggesting uptrend continuation. Would need to see Heiken Ashi Smoothed turn blue for confirmation of uptrend continuation. So, will this be a downside reversal, or upside continuation? Still playing the watch and wait game!

ASX200 BUY SET-UP (3:45pm Melbourne, Australia)

A great example of what a trend continuation looks like. Ratio remains crossed-down and has turned down, and Heiken Ashi Smoothed has turned blue.

Buy : Upside Continuation Signal (6:07pm Melbourne, Australia)

From a Downside Trend Reversal to an Upside Continuation. It is what it is!
Let’s see where this goes.

What charting platform is this? I don’t think I’ve noticed candle underlays on a Heiken Ashi chart before.

This is MT4 Candles (gray outline) with Heiken Ashi Smoothed indicator.

1 Like

STOP & REVERSE : S&P500 Index (10:17pm Melbourne, Australia)

Buy position stopped-out for 63 point loss. Reversed to sell position.