How long did it take you to trade live?

Hi guys,

I’m a newbie when it comes to trading. Guess I know the fundamentals, now I get to know indicators/join groups etc and then I’d like to start a demo account.

I’m willing to put a lot of work and effort in it, since I’ve figured trading is not that easy as it may sound.

So - how long did you guys take to trade on a live account? (And make maybe small profits)

Just trying to get comfortable with investing money into books etc and - most importantly- time. I surely want it to pay off.

Thanks, guys

2 Likes

Read on…

1 Like

It takes as long as it takes. Every person is different. It took me well over a year to trade live. Some start after a few months. Others do so after several years. And then there’s the part whether you’re profitable or not once you do begin trading live, which is totally separate from gathering the courage and (what you think is) sufficient knowledge to trade live. Don’t compare yourself to others, learn and practice at your own pace.

10 Likes

Hey Scapia.
I get where you’re coming from. You want a heads up before you plunge all in.
Well, everybody is different. So, you’re going to get some differing opinions. But, there is a consensus. And, if you really want to know what that is, you would need to search this Babypips site, cause this question has been asked a million times before. Think of it, you can tap into such a great pool of traders in the past.

But, it is easier just to come on in here and ask away. I get it. But, you will only get such a small sample size. Anyway, the search function will really open your eyes to what the real consensus is, and was, on this journey.

I’m sorry. I just wanted to make that point. Cause, everybody is different. And that leads me to my only other point.

It took me quite some time. I find it hard to measure myself up against what the normal beginning trader should look like. I don’t know…I think I have a normal intelligence. But who really knows? But, I can tell you that I believe no one else can compare their personal drive more than mine. Cause, frankly, I find it impossible for anyone to put in any more effort into this than I do.

Maybe it takes me longer to get things than most, surely that could be possible. I mean, who knows. Therefore, all I can say is that everybody is different. This is my story in a nut shell. Mind you…I’m sure I’m older than you.

• Demo traded, as serious as a live account, for the first 3 years. Coupled with reading anything I can find. So, we’ll call it research.
  • 4th year started with a live account. Crashed and burned it twice in 6 months time.
  • Took time away from the market and got mentored. We’ll call it a years worth of time.
  • Got back in the market live again during my 5th year. And never lost another account since.
  • I’ve just started on my 7th year now. And I have all the confidence in the world that this will be a good year.
  • Due to me losing my long time job, I am at this (my) business for sole sustaining income. Which started just this year. So, needless to say, this year will be interesting.

Btw…I won’t accept anything less than success. I just refuse. But, we’ll see what happens. All that work I’ve done in the last 6 complete years…will have to pay off. I’m not turning back.

Well, that’s my story. It is a long road.
And like I said, everybody is different. Everybody’s situation is different also.

But…search the many other stories here in Babypips. I promise, you’ll get many different perspectives. But, I can tell you one thing, you’re going to have a lot of work to do to get anywhere in this market.

Hey Scapia…it’s doable.
You can do it.
Hopefully you’re young.

Mike

16 Likes

Honestly, I traded live too soon. It was about three months into studying and I started trading live and lost almost all of my trades. I took a step back and paper traded for about two months and began to log what was working and what wasn’t. Now I am still paper trading and making about one real trade per week. I have recorded 46 trades but have only traded four with real money. It seems everyone is different. I wasn’t psychologically prepared to trade live when I did.

8 Likes

Thank you a lot, especially that you’re saying I shouldn’t compare myself to others… I think this is a great advice.

3 Likes

Hi Mike,

I’ve read in your trading journey today and I’m happy seeing you respond to my question.
Thanks you lot for sharing.
I’m 20 years old and I think I got time to practice, so… we’ll see what happens.

Very focused and excited :slight_smile:

Scapia

3 Likes

Nice!
Hey… you can do this Scapia!

2 Likes

I would give my right arm to be 20 again.
Enjoy your road!!!

9 Likes

Mike, agreed 100% but can we make it the left arm

Scapia, it took me about a year or maybe 25,000 trades however the better question is how consistent are you. Once positive consistency is maintained over many weeks or several months then its time to consider that move,

3 Likes

it took me a week to trade live
i suggest you to trade longterm and hold it to a month or more if you want to do forex

2 Likes

You are very welcome. :smiley:

2 Likes

As it was mentioned before, it mostly depends on you. Someone will start live trading with small account just over a few weeks, and for someone it would take a year to create strategy and form a trading mindset.

For example, you can start cent account trading when you are consistently profitable with demo trading. Cent account will add more emotions to feel like live trading, but would not expose your funds for serious risks.

3 Likes

You can add Price Action on your list; chart analysis is very much useful.

Then I think you’re off to a great start @scapia! :blush: Haha. :slight_smile: Tbh, I’m not yet trading live, but I’ve been demo trading for a few months now. It’s still pretty unstable so I still don’t think I’m ready to really use money. :open_mouth: Haha. But, I think that it’s best if you really take your time and find out the things that work for you, and the things that don’t. :slight_smile: Good luck with this!! I’ll definitely cheer you on. :blush:

2 Likes

Alright, I‘m going to do that. Thanks.

The last few days I studied about Trend Lines, Channels, S/R, Fib Retracement, Candle Stick Patterns and times/days to trade best etc.

I‘m having a lot on my list though, excited to learn more about the market.

1 Like

Thank you a lot!

1 Like

No probleeeem. :smiley: I’m very happy to have more people here so I hope you stick around and share this adventure with us. :stuck_out_tongue: :blush:

2 Likes

Don’t forget to practice what you learn. Reading about these is one thing, using them is another. Open a demo account and practice.

2 Likes

Hi back to you,
Ok. How long did it take me to trade live?
If you are interested to know, I am telling you.

Now I assume that you know the fundamentals, get to know indicators/join groups etc and then alrrady start trading using a demo account.

Also, assuming that you have been putting a lot of work and effort in it and you figured that trading is not that easy as it may sound.

So how long did I take to trade on a live account?
Here is my answer. This took me less than a week. I am glad that I bought this ebook.

If you are searching for ways to get comfortable with investing your money into books etc and - most importantly- time, why not check out ‘drforex-t’ on Instagram. Take a look at random students’ daily trading results. And, maybe… maybe you might be curious want to know how. Who knows this pays off.

Anyway, I am just sharing.

1 Like