How long should a break be before it's considered "quitting forex"?

Hellooooo! :blush: So, I’ve replied to a lot of people who have recommended that I take a break from trading until my wedding’s done. :sweat_smile: But I won’t get married until 2024! So it’s still a pretty long time (And I also love trading every now and then so it’s definitely out of the question. :sweat_smile: ) But I just got curious, how long should a “break from forex” be before we start considering it as “quitting forex”? A year? A couple of years? :thinking:

2 Likes

This is an interesting question, which is why only a small percentage of traders last the distance. Mainly pros who are totally engaged with trading. The challenge is like climbing Everest with a backpack in a snowstorm, which is not the financial freedom so many newbies expect when introducing themselves on this forum.

As for me I have given my large account to a pro trader friend to manage, which gives me time and space to enjoy trading my $2k account whenever I want to.

A year or so is more like pausing! I think if you’ve not traded for longer than 3 years, that’s a really long time. I feel like at that point so many things have changed, tools and market behavior maybe?

I don’t see the reason to stop trading at all. Quitting vs pausing is just semantics. Who cares?

The question is if you want to stop or not. I think routine is important. Just like if you run 6 days a week. It’s part of your discipline. You decide how rigid is has to be.

I say don’t stop. If you need to change your trading schedule, then fine. But don’t stop.

1 Like

This aspect is highly overlooked IMO.

What account size would be worthwhile to manage for a pro trader? Granted this is a single situation for your personally, but what are you thoughts?

1 Like

$10k would be the minimum. And it only costs you a monthly fee if the running High Water Mark at a month’s end is greater than the previous high. Since he makes over 25% per annum and I add to my account every month (no withdrawals), the compounding account is growing nicely.

1 Like

More traders should read this post. @PipMeHappy thanks for putting this in the limelight.

I have a question for all traders. We are almost into 2023! There are a lot of female forex traders now. Do you follow anymore on Youtube? Please share

1 Like

Hello SeverianoGallo,

I cannot see my post, what did I write? :slight_smile:

Do you mean my posts on women traders? Ah okay. :slight_smile: You are welcome!

You should not take an excessively long break from trading. Small breaks from your trading schedule can be beneficial to some extent, but taking long breaks can have a negative impact on your trading.

Actually, we all are not the same ( I meant the situation), so it’s really difficult to mention any specific number!

In my opinion, a break of at least two or three months would suffice to give you time to do everything else. We do not suggest taking a long break of several years.

It is generally up to the individual trader to determine how long of a break they need before it is considered quitting forex. Some traders may take a break for a few days or weeks, while others may take a longer break or even decide to stop trading altogether. It’s important to carefully consider your goals and needs before making a decision about whether to take a break or quit forex trading.

A break is simply a pause to re-enter the market after a fresh perspective. It should be as long as a year. A week is fine. If it’s too long, you will lose touch. So, you can decide accordingly.