How long was the longest time you kept a trade open?

Helloooo! :blush: I’m currently talking about long-term trades on a different thread, and just how costly they are to maintain. :open_mouth: This just got me wondering, how long was the longest time you kept a trade open? :open_mouth: I think for me, it was about a week or 2 weeks. :sweat_smile: None of my trades have been good enough to keep them open for a long time.

2 Likes

Ha ha - my usual trades last for minutes but I was so disgusted with my performance one day that in blind temper I left a trade on and stormed out for the afternoon. Three hours later, I came back and found I had made 140 pips in my absence. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I have kept trade open for more than one week.

1 Like

Hi all my transactions are closing on Friday, so max 5 days.

2 Likes

I kept a trade running for a month though I made loss in that trade. However, I like long-term trading.

1 Like

Last month, I kept a trade opened for 7 days though I made a loss.

I kept a trade open for more than 1 month though I suffered a loss in that trade.

A scalper, I see! :smiley: Haha. I definitely cannot handle this. I would just be in a constant state of shock and panic. :sweat_smile:

Hahaha! Niceeee! :smiley: Didn’t that make you ever consider opening your trades for loner time periods? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oooh! :blush: How did that go? :smiley: Did you get stopped out or did you hit your TP? :smiley:

Oooh yeah! :smiley: That makes sense. I also try to close my trades before the weekend just so I don’t have to worry about them anymore. :sweat_smile: Was there ever an instance that you went beyond this? :blush:

When I tried different trading methods, I held more than one week, but since I use algo, I never hold more than one week.

No - I just thought I got lucky - the market telling me it can do without me! :rofl:

1 Like

Hello, I am trying to trade the continuation of a trend and trying to enter at the beginning of the impulse.
Imo, the RRR is small if I don’t get in at the start of the impulse. If I get involved in a 1:2 or 1:3, I feel like I’m chasing price.
In many cases, if you enter at the beginning of the impulse and don’t take profits, the retracement comes to the same level and closes on BE.
You can see it happening recently on USDCAD, on the bearish structure.
Long story short, mostly less than a week, if I can catch an impulse at the beginning, or a retracement at the beginning then I’m happy.

Well, that’s another way of putting it. :sweat_smile: Hahaha.:smiley:

I’m very much familiar with this experience. :sweat_smile: Sometimes, I keep a trade open much longer than I should, hoping I could at least hit breakeven. :sweat_smile:

Time is relative

Albert Einstein - “When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red hot-cinder a second seems like an hour. That’s relativity.”

I did another strange thing this afternoon - I couldn’t find a decent entry for a scalp on the Dow or the Nasdaq, so out of boredom I wandered over to the EUR/JPY at about 15.30gmt, left it on, without looking, with a 10pip stop for half an hour +50pips. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I really don’t like leaving things unattended :rofl:

Trades that I knew about or also trades that I forgot about?

:rofl:

Back when I was trading the daily, through the weekend and into the next week. So at least a week, but no more than two.

1 Like

Hahahaha. :joy: But it looks like you have amazing luck when it comes to things you leave unattended. I wish I was as lucky. :sweat_smile:

OMG SAME :sweat_smile: There have been a couple of times when I left trades open for about a week or so. :sweat_smile: But that’s also because I put an extra wide TP and SL. :open_mouth:

Yea that helps. Now that I trade a scalping strategy, I’m checking my account more often so I forget less trades. Still forget the odd trade here or there!