How Many Pairs Should You Trade?

Do you really need to stick to one pair?

I’ve seen traders say that focusing on one pair is the best way to master a strategy.

But what if that pair simply doesn’t give a clean setup for days?

Does trading a second or third pair improve opportunities, or does it just lead to overtrading?

I’m curious how others handle this. How many pairs do you actually trade, and what made you choose that number?

4 Likes

Depends on time frame. If you trade M1 or M5 it would be impossible with s lot of pairs. I would say 7 is max. If you go to 4H or daily I eould say. Go for all 28, or something like 33-35. There is one problem though. Some pairs, like AUDCHF and EURGBP, does not trend that much. They come back to the mean relatively quick. So it will take a lof of testing to figure out how things will work out. If you do go for all 28, 1 strategy will probably not work on all pairs. If you go for only 7 pairs (high time frames), it will be too little. You will be seriously bored as there will be too few trades.

Forcusing in just one pair? I woulds say at some time it would be wise to specialize in one pair and look for characteristics, but I wouldn’t say you have to do it right away

Personally, I would recommend trading more than a currency pair or an asset. You don’t have to stick to a slow pair while another is trending in a particular direction. It is not practicable to carry out analysis on all 28 currency pairs. Just narrow down your trade list to a handful of pairs…three to four maximum. There are traders who stick to just an instrument or two and are consistently profitable.

How much do you want to diversify

1 Like

I only trade pairs that do not share currencies. So, for example, if I find a trade on EUR/USD and I open a position then until that position is closed I do not look at any pair with the EUR or USD in it. You can scan as many pairs as you like but once you have a trade open you need to be careful. I have picked a few pairs that have no common currencies and I use those as the charts will show a similar setup on multiple pairs that share a currency anyway. You can get about 4 or 5 pairs if you follow the no common currency rule and that is usually sufficient.

I think 2-3 pairs is a good middle ground. One pair can go quiet for a few days, but watching too many just makes it harder to stay focused.

1 Like

For a beginner, I’d suggest mastering one pair first, then gradually adding one or two more while keeping the same strategy and risk rules. Quality setups matter more than the number of pairs on your watchlist.
I usually focus on 3-4 pairs that I understand well and only trade when my setup appears.

Good point on the timeframe split. I’d add one more filter beyond timeframe: correlation, not just count. Trading 7-10 pairs sounds diversified, but if half of them are USD-pairs moving together off the same dollar driver, you’re really just running one trade with extra steps and extra risk.

For someone starting out, I’d rather see 3-5 pairs picked for genuinely different behavior (say one JPY pair, one commodity currency, one major EUR/GBP-type pair) than a bigger list that’s secretly one correlated bet. Easier to actually learn each pair’s personality too.

1 Like

I don’t think it has to be just one pair. I prefer keeping a small watchlist and waiting for a setup that actually fits my strategy. If my main pair is quiet, I can check the others, but I don’t add pairs just to find a trade. That’s usually where overtrading can start.

1 Like

I think diversification should be intentional, not just about trading more pairs. I prefer a small number of pairs where I understand the price behaviour and can consistently identify my setups.

Trade 1… observe all…! :smirk:

I think sticking to a few pairs is better. More pairs can mean more setups, but also more chances to overtrade.

Focussing on and trading with just one pair at a time is indeed a smart strategy, whether its the best is subjective. Some traders trade multiple pairs at a time.
I personally prefer trading with just one pair at a time, but i also monitor multiple volatile and major pairs just in case of lack of opportunities in my main trading pair.

I’d say 2–4 pairs is a good starting point. Focusing on one pair can help you understand its behaviour, but adding a few more can give you opportunities when the market is quiet. The key for me is avoiding highly correlated pairs and not increasing trades just for the sake of finding setups.

I prefer enough diversification to manage risk, but not so much that it becomes hard to stay focused.

Like most thinks in forex you can only find out how many pairs you should trade by backtesting your strategy to see how it performs with 1 or 2 or 3 pairs, personally for me i have chosen to trade 3 pairs for now, with a maximum of 2 open trades at the same time. This works for me especially this month 1 of my pair gave me losing trades and the other 2 pairs performed reasonably well.