How many strategies are you demoing at one time?

Are you guys demoing a whole bunch of different strategies at the same time, maybe different time frames, different pairs, different trading sessions, or really just sticking to one and putting your all into that?

I keep bouncing around trying between different strategies and think maybe I should just focus on one, something simple, and run with for a couple months.

What’s working for you? One and done or the more the merrier?

5 Likes

One at a time and concentrate on it.

2 Likes

@Thebeezneez

A hotch potch of strategies never works - either with demo or real account.

There is such a thing as cumulative learning, too much at one time is the same as multi tasking.

Good in theory but the benefits are lost as you can’t process or learn all that in one go

Learn one system - get it right and then build on it

That’s the best way at your current stage of development

6 Likes

dont get excited about all this its about relating to the markets/charts empirically

I do have a number of plans in the tool bag , but it really depends on the market condition as there is no one fits all. System hopping is an account killer if not able to read the chart. Try sticking to 1 set up and market condition

4 Likes

Very easy to get distracted with this and that strategy when testing and not see a single one through. Focus on one and do it well whether it is any good or not.

2 Likes

i think one or two at one time is ideal, dont overconfuse yourself

1 Like

I would love to try this. But no coding skills! Maybe something else to learn too.

Thanks for that.

What do you mean by this?

It’s taken me 5 months to develop a trading strategy with a $2k capital base that suits my daily scalping trending style using Ichimoku on the daily chart as the KEY ingredient, which MUST be correlated by the 1Hr chart from which I trade. That doesn’t change, neither does MACD and ATR, or EMA 75, even though I am open to experiment with other signals on a separate demo account. The learning (my strategy) costs were $200 over the first 15 weeks of trading.

Currently, I’m slowly easing my way back to becoming at least a break-even trader; the last 8 weeks I’ve made $127 profit (6.35%) which - if maintained - is an annual rate of 41.275%.

I could divulge my strategy in full and all my strict rules on every trading aspect, but it is unlikely that no-one could maintain the same patience and discipline to make it work. Mainly because not every day are trades made, the current maximum is 4 per day and last week I suffered three non-trading days Wed-Friday…

…which gave me plenty of time to test the Parrando Paradox.

1 Like

I suggest you check the Inner Circle Trader on YouTube and see if his strategy fits what your needs and personality. As for me, it’s been working for me. Good luck and good trading!!

I would suggest that you focus on one strategy and master it. You will never have a positive edge over the market as long as you hope from one strategy to the other. Stick to one and make sure you master it right to the clit. Keep it as simple as you can, so not to confuse yourself in the heat of the moment.
I use support and resistance bounces on the H4 timeframe, and only that. If the market is not on H4 support or resistance level, there is no trade for me. It has been working wonders for the last 3 years and I am not planning to look for any other system any time soon… Why fix something that’s not broken?
Take it from someone who spent 2 years on the losing side of the market., looking for the best indicators, strategies, robots and all. I bet I have watched almost every trading strategy video there is in YouTube, hoping to find the holy Grail, or at least something next to it. There is no magical trading strategy out there. You are going to search until you burn yourself out and decide to come back to basics like I did. What is so saddening about system hoping is that it is addictive in nature. Once you get hooked to it, especially if you occasionally get rewarded in the process, you will always be tempted to look for something new every time you pop the chart up.

I’m testing just one. The temptation to test 3 or 4 others at the same time was alsmot overwhelming but I’m glad I persisted. I now know my strategy inside and out, and I could explain it to a 5 year old.

experience,patience ,how you relate to the markets.

First question to you is are you using indicators…if you say no that is a good start

Hey, that’s progress! Great to see that there is profit. So it’s possible!

i have heard this name here before. What’s he/she about?

Yup, that’s simple. But I always thing too simple just isn’t good enough. I got to get away from that.

Yes please!

Haha! I do i do…so back to the drawing board.

Oh no what’s wrong with indicators :frowning:

If they have already worked for you (without any price action) then that is a miracle in itself and I applaud you greatly…however if they haven’t I suggest learning everything you can about price action trading including different order types you can use like stop losses and limit orders, candlestick charts, trends and lines of support and resistance will all be extremely helpful

1 Like

Interesting! Didn’t realize how important order types are in price action trading! :open_mouth:

I don’t see any problem with indicators. I do not use them simply because I feel comfortable trading without them. I know most so called price action traders would not agree with me but, the so highly overrated price action is also lagging like the indicators. A closed price bar reflects or tells you what has already happened as much as the RSI or moving average (whatever indicator you use) also prints a new value at the close of that particular par. So, where is the lag because the indicator prints a new value every time the market ticks up and down?

1 Like

Pick one strategy, write the entry, SL & TP rules in a piece of paper, it’s ok to be emotional, that’s what make us humans, but always make sure all the entry rule boxes are checked while entering trades, whatever emotion, fear, greed, happiness,sadness, over confidence you are in, you may take a loss, no problem, that’s part of this, you may take a series of losses, analyse what went wrong, it won’t be because of your emotions as you’ve entered according to your strategy rules only, try to tweak the strategy & try to get out of the losing streak & break even. Now, even after tweaking, you still can’t get out, despite sticking with your entry rules, always, no matter what ever emotions you were in, then you must think of changing your strategy. Now don’t think that you’ve wasted your time on this strategy. You now have improved into a much more realistic guy from a dreamer or someone who has unrealistic thoughts.

1 Like