How much have you suffered?

Interesting take the OP and book author had. I tend to agree, that failure and suffering can be great lessons and motivational. But I believe that can only last up to a point. If there isn’t the occasional success or win or positive point, at least with trading it can just feel like a deep dark ocean and you’re always sinking.

Thank goodness I came across this thread. I loved the idea of seeing the purpose of life as one suffering. It resonates with me a lot. Apart from the financial suffering and losses, the decision to become a trader comes with a lot of pain. For me I felt like I was stuck and always doubted my decisions. I wondered if it was the right thing to do, if all of this is worth it. Such questions keep popping up in my mind once in a while and I just brush them off. I felt uncomfortable telling people that I was having a hard time as a trader. But after reading your post I have realised that there is nothing to be ashamed of about suffering. And it doesn’t mean you are doing something wrong. I will keep this in my mind forever.

Making losses is not a delightful experience. I have learned from my mistakes and always tried not to repeat them in my future trade.

My sufferings know no bounds and I went to every length to make profit. However, being 100% profitable is impossible from Forex. But traders can make profit on average ad it is taken as success in trading. Traders should give more and more focus on strategy-based trading.

Every trader suffers losses at the beginning of their trading career because forex is a highly volatile market and it’s not that easy to make profits here. Instead of giving up hope, one should try to learn from their mistakes in order to succeed in this forex world.

My profits are someone else’s losses and vice-versa. That’s how the game of forex trading is played. It’s up to you whether you want to call your losses suffering or accept them as an inevitable reality.

the stoics say “man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor”. I believe somewhere somehow we need to suffer in order to grow and discover new things about ourselves, this aplies to trading too. Most if not all of us have suffered in trading in someway, be it losing money, dealing with your trading psychology, etc. It was and still is necessary for a trader to really go through that so that he can find his feet in our world or trading.

I had a lot of losses when I first started trading. I made several mistakes that cost me a lot of money, and I even faced trouble interpreting chart patterns. But, with time and effort, I was able to learn from my mistakes and try to avoid repeating them again in the future.

Traders have to go through losses and that’s not unknown. If someone enters the market with the hopes of making profits all the time, they will obviously blame the market. One thing is for real; we are alone in the market and no one wants us to win. We have to build our own way to success. We may face issues but when we learn to overcome them and keep trading, we become successful.

I think there is lots when can derive from this book which is applicable to trading, especially how we have to accept and handle losses, i.e. bear pain. Many traders simply try to remove this feeling by taking another trade and attempting to revenge market which is not viable approach in the long-run.

I experienced a lot of losses when I first started trading. Instead of giving up, though, I made an effort to grow from my mistake and become a better person.

Yes, I have suffered greatly in terms of losing money or patience, but with time, I have developed positive traits myself.

I have also faced some heavy losses where I almost blew my account due to greediness. But over time with consistency and efforts I overcame my emotions of greed.

At a certain point in time I thought I was wasting oxygen on this planet. This is how much I suffered. I put a mirror in front of myself, accepted my weaknesses and (still) continue with bettering myself.

The psychological pressure you get when forex is not working out at all for you is no joke.

I couldn’t agree more, loses bring a lot of negative emotions and a whole lot of stress. Just in the past few days I have been staring straight at the market none stop because of the deep experienced recently, sometimes the thoughts wake me up at night. The market is definitely not for the fainthearted.

I can’t let forex trading make me suffer. I only do it as a profitable diversion from real life. If you play your cards right and don’t play with what you can’t afford to lose then you shouldn’t suffer in teal terms. Minor annoyance/frustration - yes. Real suffering - pain, illness, bereavement are totally different. The worst you can suffer from forex is what you impose upon yourself.

1 Like

Forex made me suffer a lot emotionally. I also lost a lot of money. I know that suffering is a part of the learning process and this is why I take any kind of loss as a lesson. This is a normal thing for all forex traders to go through this phase. When we lose or suffer a loss it is important to learn from the mistakes and try not to repeat them. Once you have surplus experience you won’t suffer in the forex market.

I count myself among those who haven’t endured too much loss due to the forex market. I did not invest a sizable sum when I began live trading, and the second major factor is that I gained experience trading for a few months on a demo account. Losses were a part of the Forex business until I gained experience. But never experience a significant loss, despite what some people claim about losing all of their savings to forex trading.