How much have you suffered?

Not in terms of money losses, but psychically?

I’m going to suggest that suffering is a necessary part of the process for becoming a great trader, for mastering any difficult task, really, and maybe even for succeeding in life.

I’m reading a great book right now - Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor E Frankl. The first part tells the story of being in four different Nazi concentration (extermination) camps and losing his entire family but being one of the few survivors (only 1/28 prisoners managed this). Frankl explains how he managed to survive. Part of it was luck, but most of it was that he was able to give his life meaning through suffering nobly. While many of his fellow prisoners, tortured by hunger, cruel guards, and Typhus fever, lost hope and died soon after, he was able to see the purpose of his life as one of suffering, while trying to encourage his fellow prisoners, so that he could eventually help others to find meaning in their lives.

The second part describes his psychotherapeutic theory called ‘logotheraphy’ that heals by assigning meaning to life. There are 3 ways to do this, according to Frankl. 1. Create a work or deed. 2. Experience pleasure or 3. Suffer with dignity. In a concentration camp options 1 and 2 are not possible so only 3 remains. However since suffering is universal it means every life can have meaning.

Learning to trade can feel like torture sometimes, and the easiest thing to do is to simply quit and try something less taxing, but I suspect if you can suffer and keep a sense of humour, or help out another trader you will find that it is bearable. Anyway, it’s a quick read and highly recommended. Check your library.

10 Likes

This is an interesting question @clemmo, and it really got my attention. :sweat_smile: I’m very fortunate to not have been through extreme physical suffering, but I believe that reading about what others have experienced will widen my view about it. :open_mouth:

It’s my first time hearing about that book, but I’ll try to ask around about it. It’s been years since I last went to a library (cause I usually just purchase the new reprints of books that I like reading :sweat_smile:). Maybe, this could be my reason to go to a library this week! :smiley: I miss it. :smiley:

1 Like

Of course you really do that in a matter of time. You really need to become stress free if you want to make something out of anything and do not plan it really. It’s really helpfull to loose some money by doing some test to gain some more knowledge about that.

what if each and everyone tries to alleviate the suffering of others
will there be any suffering ?
and if there is no suffering will people do good to avoid suffering ?
these are rhetorical questions no need for any reader to answer them

Forex can sure cause stress-related issues, some of which can be serious, but apart from that I doubt it causes much physical suffering.

This reminded me of one of the Matrix movies. One of the Smith agents tells Neo that in the original matrix everyone kept ‘waking up’ because there was no pain or suffering. The only way to make a believable world was to add back strife and misery.

I am one of those people who had not suffered a lot from Forex market. It has two big reasons , One is that I did not invest a big amount as I started live trading second is I get experience of trading for couple of months on demo account. Losses were there until I was not experienced , it is a par t of Forex business. But never suffer a big loss as people say they loose all their saving in Forex trading.

1 Like

Trading requires extensive attention and sometimes a trader may require to pass his difficult time even for the loss of his money. Thereby there can be suffering of your health sometimes, such as hyper attention, sleeplessness, etc. Btu with health issues a trader can even develop some negative psychologies like aggressiveness, greed, etc. Every trader must try to keep his focus on point to ignore the negativity around him .

Whilst I have suffered with many financial decisions in lifetime I try and see every failure as an opportunity to learn something that will help me in the future.

1 Like

Its how we pick ourselves up when we fall that determines our prospects. Suffering means something needs addressing. Iv suffered financially, physically, emotionally, psychologically and mentally for most of my life for a whole lost of reasons, but still fighting, and turning that suffering into a successfull outcome. Trading should never be the cause of suffering though, not financially , if it is then like everything something would need addressing, risk, mindset, strategy, entry etc

Trading wise…in my earlier days iv suffered tremendously. Lost alot of btc, and trading forex and crypto became my biggest obsession, trying and trying to make it work. Over time you really do sometimes brush off how hard it was at first (not that it’s particularly easier now lol but more i have a more structured approach that yields a much higher success rate) but I haven’t forgotten those sleepless nights, the anxiety overloads, and of course those 1minute charts, adding fuel to the fire. But it almost seemed like a right of passage that needed to be experienced as once I got passed the initial “learning and beginner phase” I was able to start factoring in confluences to ease the anxiety and over time this led to me being able to adjust my risk accordingly on the height of probability to looking for an entry. That said I believe we never stop learning. And when emotions are involved we are able to learn alot quicker

1 Like

Make sure your suffering instigates you to trade properly not discourages you about trading. Every trader suffers in Forex because it is a business to learn which suffering is essential. So, turn your suffering into success. I know it’s hard but you can.

I suffered many losses in the initial phase of my trading. But instead of losing hope I tried to learn from my mistake and improve myself.

There are many traders around the globe whose sufferings know no bounds. Traders get panicked when they have a loss. They should not remind of this loss again and again because it creates an extra burden for them. Instead of that they should try to find out the exact reason for why the loss occurred. If they can spot the exact reason, they will never make this mistake again.

Every trader suffers regardless of both expert and non-expert traders and so do I. Forex is a highly volatile market and no one can forecast its destination from the earlier. That’s the reason traders suffers highly from this market. Proper market analysis helps them catch the actual market trend.

In the beginning, there was a period when I struggled a lot just to understand chart patterns and to make a proper trading plan.

Recently I saw a lot of people exposing a lot of scam brokers on a platform called wikifx, has anyone tried it? Does it really work? I have lost a lot of money recently.

suffering is subjective, what one person s heaven maybe another person s hell

1 Like

Could not agree more.

If and when you find yourself under immense stress, take some time off and meditate or divert your mind by engaging in a hobby or something that calms you down. It is very important to have a clear mind to trade successfully.

1 Like