How to Choose the Right Forex Leverage?

Forex traders use different leverage levels based on their trading strategies and their ability to anticipate market movements. Usually, short-term traders like scalpers and day traders tend to trade with high leverage since they usually look for price changes within a short period. By contrast, long-term traders typically use low levels of leverage.

Regardless of how attractive leverage may seem, you should always keep in mind that excessive leverage can wipe out your entire starting capital in a matter of seconds. Leverage is directly related to the equity of your forex trading account.

Let’s assume you are trading a currency pair with $100 and you are not using leverage. You can achieve the following results:

• With an increase of $10, you get a profit of $10.
  • If the trade falls by $10, you will suffer a loss of $10.

When you apply 1:100 leverage, you get different results:

• With an increase of $10, you get a profit of $100.
  • If the trade falls by $10, you will suffer a loss of $100.

The greater your leverage, the more volatile your account equity will be. Likewise, lesser leverage means less volatile your account equity will be.

Example using High Leverage:

Let’s say that Trader A has a $10,000 cash account. He decides to use the leverage of 1:50, which means he can trade up to $500,000. In forex terms, that’s 5 standard lots.

In forex trading, there are three basic trade sizes: Standard lot (100,000 units of the quote currency), the Mini lot (10,000 units of the base currency), and Micro lot (1,000 units of quote currency). Price fluctuations are measured in pip movements, and the pip value depends on the lot size.

Assuming the trader purchased 5 standard lots in USD, a single pip movement would earn the trader $50. Likewise, if the trade fails, the trader loses 50 pips, i.e., 50 pips x $50 = $2,500. That’s 25% of the $10,000 account.

Example using Low Leverage:

Here’s what Trader B did. Instead of using the maximum leverage of 1:50, he used a conservative leverage ratio of 1:5. If Trader B has $10,000 in cash, they can trade $50,000 in currency. A mini-lot is equal to 10,000 units of currency, and each pip is worth $1. As Trader B has 5 mini lots, each pip movement could earn him $5.

In case the investment fell by the same amount, by 50 pips, then the trader would lose 50 pips x $5 = $250, which is just 2.5% of the total position.

Beginner traders should only select the level of leverage they feel most comfortable with. A lower level of leverage, such as 1:10 or 1:50, may be more appropriate if you are conservative and don’t like taking risks. Choosing the right forex leverage level allows you to earn more money from your trades and helps you achieve financial stability.

I basically selected my trading leverage according to my demo trading experience! Currently I’m using 100:1 trading leverage based on my demo! Although I started with 200:1, but as I see my system provides more sustained result with 100:1 leverage!

2 Likes

You are on the right track, basically traders need to follow their systems in live account as like their demo account! I’m also using 1:100 trading leverage! High leverage brings MC so quickly! So, I believe small trading leverage is always a good option!

1 Like

Risk from using high leverage accounts nearly always comes from misuse rather than the leverage itself. If using good risk management higher leverage accounts aren’t an issue

2 Likes

It’s all about your risk management.
I never risk more than 2% max on any given trade once you adopt this position you will be fine

1 Like

@ cashisking86 Correct, I Agree on it!

I missed the point where you actually answer the question “How to choose the right leverage?” :slight_smile:

It cannot be simple answer like 1:10 or 1:50 for beginners without considering other account parameters such as minimal position allowed. There are brokers who will not allow you open positions smaller than 0.1 lot and there are brokers who allow even single unit positions.

My advice for beginners would be to select lowest leverage possible and control risk with only position size until you know what you’re doing :slight_smile: In EU it’s simple - you will get 1:30 or 1:20 leverage cap on most pairs due to regulatory constraints. Not sure how about US, but still the lower the better for beginners.

Thing to underline - leverage alone is not in any way a risk measure and you cannot say, that lower leverage is for ones with risk aversion :slight_smile: You can take huge risk with low leverage, and low risk with high leverage. This is just misleading.

1 Like

It is important for a trader to use the right amount of leverage as it is the key risk determinant for traders. Trading with high leverage is the biggest mistake that is made by many traders. Until a trader becomes highly experienced he should trade using lower leverage.

Yup, I was wondering where some are trading with 100x and 200x leverage.

30/20 is EU regulatory requirement. Not sure how it looks in US but higher leverage can be definitely available in brokers with exotic regulatory.

I usually use 1:500 on forex and trade the main pairs

If you’re looking for high leverage it’s best to go with an offshore broker. Mine offers up to 1:500 leverage but I stick with 1:100 personally.

US might be capped at 50x on majors I think, and 15-20x on minors and exotics.

Can I ask who you are trading with? TY

to choose a right leverage ratio is really a tough game , need a powerful trading plan including real risk management.

I have a 0 commission account with CedarFX. They are worth checking out.

1 Like

In my opinion, to much importance is given to leverage, when it should be nothing more than information your broker is giving you about your trading limits.

What’s really important is the risk you are taking per trade. So no matter how much leverage you got, if you decide you are going to risk a maximum of 2% of your account per trade, you know you can miss about 50 trades on a row before you’re out (give or take margin calls, etc.)

1 Like

Leverage increases risk but personally I hate taking risk because it razes a trader’s career. Trading using 1:100 leverage is thought to be good enough. In one point, it lowers the leverage, and in another point, it balances one’s trading. However, leverage is a blessing opportunity provided by a broker.