How to introduce your kids to the world of cryptocurrencies?

How would you introduce crypto to your kids? What do you think of the idea of buying crypto for them and give it when they become an adult?

Hi,

I think it is a wonderful idea. We did that with their college funds we saved up for 18 years. They both blew it - one on a 2 week five star holiday to Dominican Republic with his friend who’s father had far more cash to spend on holidays than we had, and to the other on a monster gaming machine that cost four times the cost of my laptop. I regretted deciding to let them take their own decisions at the time, but I think it had the desired longer term effect. The elder son always talks about his “holiday of a lifetime” over a decade later, and the younger son is still using that same gaming machine today- but only because he has chosen to delay his career (perhaps indefinitely, who knows?)

So one of the reasons we got into crypto nearly 2 years ago was to be prepared to be able to hand something over to them in their mid-life, in the simplest way possible. I can’t imagine lugging 100 kg of silver half way around the world in a suitcase in future. One can’t stand crypto and thinks it is a 100% scam that will disappear as quickly as it arose. The other (accounting graduate) likes Crypto and has a very small account. He is playing the DeFi Kingdoms game at a really small level, but understands the power of crypto.

Go for it - but don’t expect your offspring to have the same outlook on life as you. They are mutated versions of you and your partner, often so different than either of you . They measure success in ways different to my own. I have grown to see that as a strength not a weakness. but it took me 20 years to realize.

3 Likes

Crypto games seem like a natural introduction. You can explain in-game currencies and marketplaces. Kids, in my experience, tend to grasp concepts quicker when introduced in a way that’s fun. What’s more fun than video games?!?

2 Likes

I think making a small investment in a crypto with good potential and then hodling for years until they become adults may not be a bad idea.
As to how to actually explain the concept to them, I don’t know. It has to be in language that is age-appropriate for kids, because the concept of cryptos is a little complicated even for adults.

1 Like