How to set the Trailing Stop

Hello!
Can someone explain how to use the trailing stop. I am bit confused from where to calculate the points to set. From the SL or entry price?

How do you know that a trailing stop-loss is what you need, then? Maybe you just want to try, to test them out?

I think they have one or two obvious advantages which are very minor, and many hidden disadvantages which are really big problems most people donā€™t appreciate.

iā€™ve never found them helpful.

From the entry price. A ā€œtrailing stopā€ is a SL.

Unless you want to use both a fixed SL and a trailing SL - I have heard of that (once).

1 Like

Can you elaborate on some of the disadvantages, or direct us to a link that can help?

1 Like

I think itā€™s really common and easy, without very careful and thorough testing of a kind few people actually do, to lose track of all the times that an automated trailing stop moves in the direction of your trade just enough to stop you out on some kind of a correction or reversal before the price then takes off again in the direction of your entry. Big winners can become small winners, this way. Because theyā€™re wins, itā€™s easy instinctively to look at that as a ā€œsuccessā€ and not realise that itā€™s actually an expensive error.

Another problem is that with some platforms (for example MT5) you actually have to stay connected to the web for a trailing stop to work at all.

I think our mutual friend summarised it well, here:-

2 Likes

That is really useful, thankyou. I have a number of open crypto trades where I have missed a market high recently, and was contemplating whether automation may be an answer. But unlike Forex, I have no leverage on the crypto trades. They can be up and down 100% in a day (the ones I am choosing, anyway), and that is a two edged sword. On the plus side, you cannot get stopped out. On the minus side, you need to accept not to use margin.

1 Like

Yes, I see what you mean, of course. But on the other hand, I know absolutely nothing about crypto at all so itā€™s easily possible that nothing I mentioned is relevant to it at all!

Hi,
I believe a ā€˜trailing stopā€™, we move it to following along with the price, too lock in some profits? We should look for consolidation zones to gauge where to place them (the trailing Stop Lossā€¦ I do) Some say ā€œat least 1.3 (1 TP to 3 SL in risk %)ā€ 2.30 is nice? Good luckā€¦

Yesā€¦ but thatā€™s the thrill of Crypto, you can wake up rich or broke? You grow to love itā€¦ for large-cap they say, ā€œthe only time we lose, is when we sell?ā€ With MEME coin, I get hurt.